[Resolved] Verizon troubles

For years I've been forwarding e-mail from my SC mail account to my Verizon.net account. Sometime in the last 36 hours it seems to have stopped working. Not only are my messages not delivered, I get no bounces or any indications of problems. The messages appear to have been sent to /dev/null somewhere.

I can send mail from SC using the webmail client to services other than Verizon, so I suspect that the problem may be with Verizon. Does anyone know whether Verizon is presently blocking SC somehow? Would this be a silent block (discard without bounce)?

I tried to discuss with verizon, but their minion was not helpful; he seemed to think that because I could traceroute to Spamcop.net that it wasn't Verizon's problem but Spamcop's. Even when he brought in some second-level support, they succeded only in proving that my POPs to Verizon worked (which was never in dispute).

Then there's the possibility that I'm not paid up right now with SC mail, but the fact that I can send to other servers seems to contradict this.

-- rick

Can't complain about the service Rick - there is none. Sorry, the Devil made me do it. Have you checked your Ð…pam Detector settings? http://www22.verizon.com/support/residenti...nsone/85659.htm The default setting is apparently auto-delete but that is supposedly changeable at the account level - http://www22.verizon.com/support/residenti...nsone/85660.htm

Just thinking - a hijacked SC mail account sending bulk mail might have tripped the Verizon spam detection and if your account setting was default then ... (I suppose that's too simple but the question needs to be asked).

Steve

Thanks, that was it. Color me "resolved" for the moment.

I was careful to turn off the spam filters on VZ a long time ago because I wanted the spam delivered to SC, but apparently some helpful soul turned them back on for me (with the option to silently discard the spam)! I turned them off again and can now receive SC mail from Verizon. So, in a way, it was Verizon's fault (I should call Roberto at VZ and give him a raspberry).

Could also be that SC somehow ended up on a VZ block list which caused the discarding to kick in. I missed some mail (including a ship notice for a new guitar) but hopefully nothing important.

Still tracking down what may be a marginally related problem with SC mail.

-- rick

Resolved it is, and we look forward to hearing of the further problem, if appropriate.

They apparently reset your spam settings to default values eh? I HATE it when they do that - just checked the spam and virus settings of MY account with my own ESP to be sure, but all is still well. Mine seemingly (so far) confines himself to automagically switching ON subscriptions to just about every mailing he has whenever he dreams up a new one or enters into a new "synergy". So, I turn those OFF again - I like my spam reportable. But no doubt one of them might have alerted me to changes to my "profile". He's strong on irony.

Heh! No auto-subscription to the network status e-mail though - which, since it (status) is up and down like ... let's just say it oscillates a lot ... would likely bankrupt him if all subscribed. {sigh} I remember when he was lean and mean and operated from his Mum's garage, her car consigned to the driveway to take its chances with the actinic sunlight of these latitudes (well, red ALWAYS fades and what was a woman of mature years wanting red cars for anyway?). But I digress - and the past is a foreign country and all visas there expired.

Its nice that filters are so effective for most -- but I hate that there's all that pointless traffic going on the network just to meet its ultimate fate in /dev/null. I'd prefer to see and deal with the spams myself.

I'm going to put my forwarding back online later this weekend, we will see how it goes.

p.s., He was doing his mom a favor, red cars are very attractive to cops.

Archived