spam from Google Groups

kluless

For some time I've been receiving Iranian spam from Google groups, most of the messages have "You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "hasha324ss" group." at the bottom.

I am not subscribed to any Google groups afaik, I certainly haven't subscribed to this particular group.

I have been reporting this spam through the Spamcop reporting system and I've also reported the group abuse directly, but Google seem to just ignore the reports.

Is there anything further I can do?

The spammers use googlegroups so it's reported and not them. Allows them to stay active longer.

Reporting to Google, right,,, You need to signup with the group just to report them, which lets them know you are real, and Google seems unresponsive to abuse reports (they must use the same network IT people as Yahoo).

What I did to stop the GoogleGroup spam. I had to "unsubscribe"!!! It did work...

I used "hxxp://emkei.cz/" to respond to the email so they wouldn't get my IP. Just copy the emails subject and body and send it back to the unsubscribe address using your address (which they already have). I did receive an "unsubscribe" notice back from the GoogleGroups and that spam stopped.

Doing this, you are unsubscribing from that "GoggleGroup" which is handled through Google...

What I did to stop the GoogleGroup spam. I had to "unsubscribe"!!! It did work...

+1

Buried in the headers of "reputable" mailing lists, e.g. Google groups, Yahoo groups, there's often headers with unsubscribe information. Sadly, the usefulness of said headers can vary.

Looks like Google might be doing something about 3rd parties subscribing you to spam lists, I got this from them today

sinderella[at]maghalesaz.ir has added you to the todaynewsletter group with

this message:

hi, welcome to fun group, this is the same group which we have discused on

forum.

Here is the group's description:

do you lazy in searching news letters? we are here to help you.

----------------------- Google Groups Information ----------------------

The owner of the group has set your subscription type as "No Email", meaning

that you'll need to visit the group's home page to view new messages.

Visit this group on the web by using this URL:

http://groups.google.com/group/todaynewsletter?hl=en

You can unsubscribe from this group using the following URL:

http://groups.google.com/group/todaynewsle...otvRQ&hl=en

-------------------- Information About This Message --------------------

If you feel that this message is abuse, please inform the Google Groups staff

by using the URL below.

http://groups.google.com/groups/abuse?dire...4Ciqw&hl=en

Looks like Google might be doing something about 3rd parties subscribing you to spam lists, I got this from them today

The email they sent you looks to me as if someone subscribed you to their list. If so, did they do so with your permission?

The email they sent you looks to me as if someone subscribed you to their list. If so, did they do so with your permission?

They usually don't have permission as they harvested the email address. They send the "No Email" because they want your IP and the click rate when visited.

At least Google added an abuse link...

Archived