A Tutorial on Setting up MailWasher for SpamCop Reporting

Lodewijk

• 3 years later...

That is an old link. It must have broken when the forum host was moved or Software was changed from an old unmaintainable undocumented version to something maintainable. Sorry.

Hopefully an MailWasher user will see you new post and provide a current tutorial.

On 6/19/2016 at 6:30 PM, dougy said:

Where pray tell can I find the mailwasher configuration tutorial ?? The link mentioned above appears broken and I'm not aware of any other tutorial in existence.

Is there something specific you're having trouble doing with MailWasher?  I have the older version (I don't use it enough to find it worth the price of buying a license for the new version; I got my current license for free because I donated a few bucks before it went to a paid product), but from what I've seen it's quite similar, just with an updated look.

In the older version, you simply put in your unique SpamCop submission address in MW's SpamCop settings, and make sure you have your SMTP settings configured so that you're able to send out email.  When you report the spam from MW, it simply forwards a copy to your SC address.  If you want to check incoming emails against the SpamCop Blacklist, you can add bl.spamcop.net as another DNSBL (if it isn't already in the default settings).

Personally, I use MW mostly as an email notification app.  It's a tiny bit easier to report spams from MW than from Thunderbird, but I wouldn't be too upset if I lost MW for some reason.  Its actual spam categorization is rather wonky for me without white/blacklisting every address, seeming like chunks of the learning are resetting every time I restart MW.  The Bounce feature it originally had does nothing against the really annoying spammers and harms innocent bystanders.  Perhaps the new version is better, and maybe others use it differently, but to me it's a decent notifier that also happens to have a button for SpamCop reporting (so it kills two birds with one stone), but isn't all that amazing otherwise.  I do also have SpamAssassin configured very well on my mail server, so I simply don't get that much spam to begin with.

On 23/06/2016 at 2:51 AM, InvisiBill said:

Is there something specific you're having trouble doing with MailWasher?  I have the older version (I don't use it enough to find it worth the price of buying a license for the new version; I got my current license for free because I donated a few bucks before it went to a paid product), but from what I've seen it's quite similar, just with an updated look.

In the older version, you simply put in your unique SpamCop submission address in MW's SpamCop settings, and make sure you have your SMTP settings configured so that you're able to send out email.  When you report the spam from MW, it simply forwards a copy to your SC address.  If you want to check incoming emails against the SpamCop Blacklist, you can add bl.spamcop.net as another DNSBL (if it isn't already in the default settings).

Personally, I use MW mostly as an email notification app.  It's a tiny bit easier to report spams from MW than from Thunderbird, but I wouldn't be too upset if I lost MW for some reason.  Its actual spam categorization is rather wonky for me without white/blacklisting every address, seeming like chunks of the learning are resetting every time I restart MW.  The Bounce feature it originally had does nothing against the really annoying spammers and harms innocent bystanders.  Perhaps the new version is better, and maybe others use it differently, but to me it's a decent notifier that also happens to have a button for SpamCop reporting (so it kills two birds with one stone), but isn't all that amazing otherwise.  I do also have SpamAssassin configured very well on my mail server, so I simply don't get that much spam to begin with.

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10200

link works?

Archived