Naming Mail Hosts

I see that the message on the "Add mailhost" page now reads:
What is the standard name of this email provider - for instance, hotmail.com might be referred to simply as "Hotmail"?
It is good that is states "standard", however it still seems a bit insufficient, especially since it goes shortly after
We will of course keep this address in strict confidence.
Therefore, I beleive it should be augmented to excplicitly state that the name could become visible to other people _and_ that the name should make sense to other people.

I don't have the page handy but doesn't that second quote of yours -- we will keep this address in strict confidence -- refer to the email address that you put in the second input box?

Ok never mind this is what the page says:

"Please enter the email address you would like to register. We will of course keep this address in strict confidence. Other than this test email, SpamCop will use only your registered address (x) to contact you. " and that is immediately followed by the box to enter in your email address. Then the page asks for the usua; or common name for the mailhost. I don't read that as implying that the mailhost name is a secret or confidential ...

Ok never mind this is what the page says:

"Please enter the email address you would like to register. We will of course keep this address in strict confidence. Other than this test email, SpamCop will use only your registered address (x) to contact you. " and that is immediately followed by the box to enter in your email address. Then the page asks for the usua; or common name for the mailhost. I don't read that as implying that the mailhost name is a secret or confidential ...

Yes, it iis relatively clear that the "strict confidence" applies to the email field. But not promising such confidence for the "name" fielld still does not imply "there is a big chance we will share it with a lot of other people". The wording for the name box should, IMHO, state much more explicitly that the name may be shown to other SpamCop users _and_ that the name that would make sense to those other users should be chosen.

I then added my fasthost account (for my own domain "131stmichaels.co.uk" and name this "fasthosts" on returning this has instead been named "mclusky.co.uk"

Neither of these reflect the mail host that has been set up?

Whoops, that was my fault - mclusky.co.uk is my domain and I must have been the first to set up Fasthosts' servers in my config.

Looks like someone's renamed it 'livemail' now, which is appropriate as FH's mail servers are at livemail.co.uk.

Archived