Facebook spam/Scam

couttsj

This is a new one to me. About 8 hours ago I was sent a message entirely in HTML. It got quarantined, but I had to release it find out where it came from. It was configured as a Facebook comment, and simply said:

Jim Richards commented on your Wall post.

Jim wrote: "you are a thief and your company is sh**"

It originated from [196.203.199.20] in Tunesia (probably hijacked), but the links on the page point to a php scri_pt at alternativeswatchers.pro [198.144.183.227] in New York state. I am no expert, but the entire thing looks like a Java applet.

More can be seen here:

http://www.npinc.ca/more-facebook-related-scams/

This is a new one to me. About 8 hours ago I was sent a message entirely in HTML. It got quarantined, but I had to release it find out where it came from. It was configured as a Facebook comment, and simply said:

Jim Richards commented on your Wall post.

Jim wrote: "you are a thief and your company is sh**"

It originated from [196.203.199.20] in Tunesia (probably hijacked), but the links on the page point to a php scri_pt at alternativeswatchers.pro [198.144.183.227] in New York state. I am no expert, but the entire thing looks like a Java applet.

More can be seen here:

http://www.npinc.ca/more-facebook-related-scams/

I just log all Facebook and Twitter as spam with Gmail. Find most is, even though it mainly comes from both FB & Twitter.

Just read it in Gmail's spam folder which disables links until you release them.

Find I don't need to report Gmail spam as their filter is VERY good with little false or positive detections. I don't like them reading mail that passes through Gmail (they call Data mining)

They are getting better. This time the email originated in the Netherlands [80.65.97.76], and made it through 2 spam detection systems undetected. The email was again the same derogatory type of Facebook comment entirely in HTML, with a link to a server in the US at ServerGurus [64.250.115.147].

J.A. Coutts

Archived