Yahoo! Mail removing links in spam

kluless

It seems that Y!Mail now removes URLs from links in some spam messages. I'd noticed that some links were no longer 'clickable' then today I got this spam...

Hello, now in Yahoo!mail in order to get to our online pharmacy

must mark a message as NOT spam, and then the link will work!

Sorry for the inconvenience. Administrator Online Pharmacy!

Click here to Canadian Pharmacy Online

© Copyright www.worldsmedics.com, 2007-2012. All Rights Reserved.

which appears to confirm it.

Action and reaction. In any event, spam encouraging recipients to mark it "not spam" is a cunning stunt-act. But not too different to when they claimed by subject line and in message body to be CAN-Ð…PAM compliant (ah, those good old days). No doubt some will fall for this latest incarnation and thus mess with the heuristics of the Yahoo spam filters.

Yours appears to be a new observation, unreported elsewhere. Thanks!

It seems that Y!Mail now removes URLs from links in some spam messages. I'd noticed that some links were no longer 'clickable' then today I got this spam...

which appears to confirm it.

Google is now doing this with their gmail accounts, if the message could be untrusted.

Google is now doing this with their gmail accounts, if the message could be untrusted.
Interesting, thanks gnarly man. I suppose, in response, some of that fake "Canadian pharmacy" spam sent to gmail accounts will start carrying a similar request to mark "not spam" too, just like a real e-mail marketer would. Anything to appear legitimate. Rule #1 - all spam is a lie.

Useful information kluless, thanks:

I actually went to www.worldsmedics.com out of curiosity, Avast immediately flagged it as malicious...

As also ADMINUSLabs and C-SIRT, its WOT ratings are down in the cellar and has been listed in SURBL since last Remembrance Day (11/11). Russian registrant (using a famous/almost-famous name as disreputable domains do), server hosted in Hong Kong (the Brits never would have allowed that ... much), Robtex doesn't see any domains sharing (202.146.217.216) but close to doctorinve.com (202.146.217.217) no rDNS, webserver only, blocked from Google crawling (and therefore from previewing).

I certainly wouldn't go visiting there, even were I dying from terminal furfuraceousness.

I got one better than that, email that originally was delivered to my yahoo inbox, then removed when the spam score on either the sender or url contained inside exceeded threshold. And it was not put into the spam folder like one would assume, it plain vanished from the inbox.

I noticed today that links in the latest Yahoo! mail spam folder are suppressed, but not if the same spam message is viewed in Yahoo! Classic mail. By suppressing the links (probably overall a good idea) it is no longer possible to check the link destination by hovering the mouse over it.

<snip>

it is no longer possible to check the link destination by hovering the mouse over it.

...That wouldn't always be accurate, anyway -- it is easy to make the text displayed when hovering over a link different than the URL to which clicking the link will navigate. It is safer to right-click the link, copy the link location, then paste it into an application that accepts text (this works in Internet Explorer and Firefox under MS Windows; I don't how to get the same result on other platforms or using other browsers).

Archived