[Resolved] Contacted by the admin, I wonder if I reply or not

igorleandro

As the title says, I just got an e-mail from an administrator, and I wonder if I reply or not.

My major concern is to make sure that he is NOT removed from the spam list as that has been a constant offender for the past months, however, I'm afraid that with his reply, he might try to get cleared, and if I don't reply he might succeed.

Should I reply? Or should I just continue to report his spams and keep quiet about this contact?

Hi, igorleandro,

<snip>

My major concern is to make sure that he is NOT removed from the spam list

<snip>

I'm afraid that with his reply, he might try to get cleared, and if I don't reply he might succeed.

...If by "the spam list" you mean the SpamCop blacklist, that is not a concern -- neither a reply from an admin to a reporter (you) nor a reply by a reporter to an "admin" can get an IP address removed from the list; furthermore, a reply from you will not be considered in any request to be removed from the blacklist. As far as I know, there are only two ways to be removed from the blacklist once on it:
  1. expiry of 24 hours after the most recent report.
  2. submitting a request for automatic removal; such requests require no evidence but may be used only once per IP address.

Should I reply? Or should I just continue to report his spams and keep quiet about this contact?
...Whether you should reply depends on the nature of the contact and whether or not in your judgment your spam reports were justified. For example, if the admin is asking for further information that only you can provide that might help her/him find the actual source of the spam, you might consider replying. However, if it seems to you that the admin should be able to find the information from server logs, you would either not reply or, if you do decide to reply, simply refer the admin to her/ his own server logs. In the meantime, yes, you should continue to report future spams, if you have the time and inclination to do so (for which we other victims thank you!).

...Note, by the way, that the admin probably didn't contact you directly but, rather, by an indirect contact through SpamCop. Therefore, if you choose to reply, be aware that you may be confirming to a spammer (and to anyone she/ he may sell such information) that your e-mail address is valid and that you are actually reading spams sent to it! Therefore, the safest thing to do is to not reply or, if you do wish to reply, to do so from a "throwaway" or disposable e-mail account.

Hi, igorleandro,...If by "the spam list" you mean the SpamCop blacklist, that is not a concern -- neither a reply from an admin to a reporter (you) nor a reply by a reporter to an "admin" can get an IP address removed from the list; furthermore, a reply from you will not be considered in any request to be removed from the blacklist. As far as I know, there are only two ways to be removed from the blacklist once on it:

1. expiry of 24 hours after the most recent report.
  2. submitting a request for automatic removal; such requests require no evidence but may be used only once per IP address.

...Whether you should reply depends on the nature of the contact and whether or not in your judgment your spam reports were justified. For example, if the admin is asking for further information that only you can provide that might help her/him find the actual source of the spam, you might consider replying. However, if it seems to you that the admin should be able to find the information from server logs, you would either not reply or, if you do decide to reply, simply refer the admin to her/ his own server logs. In the meantime, yes, you should continue to report future spams, if you have the time and inclination to do so (for which we other victims thank you!).

...Note, by the way, that the admin probably didn't contact you directly but, rather, by an indirect contact through SpamCop. Therefore, if you choose to reply, be aware that you may be confirming to a spammer (and to anyone she/ he may sell such information) that your e-mail address is valid and that you are actually reading spams sent to it! Therefore, the safest thing to do is to not reply or, if you do wish to reply, to do so from a "throwaway" or disposable e-mail account.

Hi turetzsr,

I can't thank you enough. You basically just put in good english most of what was going through my mind, and I'll definitely not reply.

I've been having issue with the same "group" for a while, and what I didn't want was that, due to the message, that someone in SpamCop would expect me to reply to that confirming or not before removing them from the black list.

I'll continue to report those spams as I've been doing avidly for the past two weeks, specially now as it seems it is getting to them.

Once again, thank you for your well explained reply.

Archived