Unable to receive emails from REI.com

Emails from REI.com to my cesmail.net address stopped recently, and I contacted the IT people at REI to find out why.

Turns out they outsource their mailing to epsilon.com, and epsilon won't email to the spamcop domain. So I had to use a gmail account to continue receiving REI emails.

This is exactly what happened to me with Fresh and Easy markets back in December 2011, http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12142

Seems like my cesmail.net address is becoming increasingly useless as a permanent email address. Maybe time to go.

...Seems like my cesmail.net address is becoming increasingly useless as a permanent email address. ...
If you need REI.com and they use epsilon.com then maybe so. Hate their way of operating though.

Epsilon.com use/recommend "deliverability consultants" (with links to emailinstitute.com). A gem from one such (http://blog.deliverability.com/2012/06/5-common-email-deliverability-myths.html - via emailinstitute.com): "... There are hundreds of blacklists out there, and many are so aggressive that they will list any IP address sending commercial email. As a result, most major and mid-tier ISPs ignore these blacklists due to the fact that these lists often block email that the end user wishes to receive. ..." Which ought to mean the advice is, at several levels, NOT to be at all concerned about sending mail to cemail/spamcop addressees who want to receive it. Actual interpreted behavior by epsilon.com is (apparently) quite different.

REI's site rules include "Ð…pam: Be trustworthy. Don't use the site to spam others or to encourage others to spam. This includes sending unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, junk mail, chain letters and pyramid schemes. Also, it's not permissible to harvest or collect others' email addresses or contact information for the purpose of spamming." Yet their mail service protects spammers.

It's all a bit like boiling a frog, step by step, by gradual degree. Frog still ends up a stew. On the positive side, I guess it all means SpamCop is still seen by "e-mail marketing" services as a potent anti-spamming force even if they can't admit that some of their clients sometimes spam and they haven't the gumption to control them when they do.

Emails from REI.com to my cesmail.net address stopped recently, and I contacted the IT people at REI to find out why.

Turns out they outsource their mailing to epsilon.com, and epsilon won't email to the spamcop domain. So I had to use a gmail account to continue receiving REI emails.

This is exactly what happened to me with Fresh and Easy markets back in December 2011, http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12142

Seems like my cesmail.net address is becoming increasingly useless as a permanent email address. Maybe time to go.

Why use REI.com?

They obviously don't know what they are doing. What's worse is they don't know that they don't know what they are doing!

As always I never recommend using a ISP for email.

Fact is the only one worth recommending is a Gmail account

My concern with them is they read email that comes and goes through all accounts (data mine)

You need to work out PGP as do your recipients it is actually very easy with any good email client like Thunderbird no brains required

Archived