Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpamCopAdmin

Three Ways to Report spam

5 posts in this topic

1. Copy/Paste the full (raw) headers and text into the SpamCop web form after you log into your account at http://www.spamcop.net/ If the spam is HTML encoded with fonts and styles, etc, you should first expose the underlying HTML code if you want SpamCop to look for web links. You can paste the spam into either the standard reporting box, or the two-part "outlook/eudora workaround form" if SpamCop is having trouble "finding" the links in the body text.

2. Create a plain text email addressed to your "submit" or "quick" submission address that CONTAINS the full (raw) headers and text of the spam (with underlying HTML code exposed if there is any). SpamCop will look inside your email for the spam.

3. Create a plain text email addressed to your "submit" or "quick" submission address that has the spam ATTACHED to it. This is what you are doing when you "Forward as Attachment." You can attach multiple spams if you keep the numbers down. I don't know how many is too many. You'll have to determine that by trial and error.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

...Proposed modifications:

• Options 2 and 3 are not permitted for Microsoft Outlook e-mails. Ref: SpamCop FAQ entry labeled "Forwarding "As Attachment" from Outlook - no longer allowed!! 6 April 2009."
  • Option 1: If you use the standard reporting box, leave a blank line between the headers and the spam text (body).
  • Option 2: leave a blank line between the headers and the spam text (body).
  • Option 3: per SpamCop FAQ entry "How do I submit spam via email?" "You should not exceed 20 spams attached to a submission. The maximum size for the overall submission must not exceed 50 KB."

...Please do not take these proposed modifications as authoritative unless validated by one of the SpamCop staff.

Forgive me if the way I report is wrong, I do the following....

Right click on the email (I still use Outlook Express) and select "Properties".

Click on the "Details" tab and then select "Message Source".

Ctrl-A to select all the text in the window, then copy and paste it into the spam Cop reporting box and Process.

Forgive me if the way I report is wrong, I do the following.....

Looks good to me matey - only problem is with submission by e-mail from Outlook (not Outlook Express) so you're in the clear on both counts.

Problem with Outlook e-mail submissions was (sometimes) mangling of the order of "Received:" lines in the headers.

Forgive me if the way I report is wrong

<snip>

...Nope, that's right -- you're using Don's 84376[/snapback] Option 1. The only reason what you are doing seems different is that you just added the detail relevant to Outlook Express that Don describes more generally as "Copy/Paste the full (raw) headers and text into the SpamCop web form."