[Resolved] Mailhost configuration adds wrong MX

Hello

When I return the configuration e-mail for Mailhost configuration -> "Add new host" it adds a dozen MX which have no connection at all with the mail service provider. (These MX are not in the header of the mail.)

The right ones are added as well, but it associates the wrong service name with the e-mail address...

Also, several of the "Relaying IP's" displayed give "No data record" on a reverse DNS.

I deleted the host and tried again, but it does the same...

Regards

Christophe

Not to worry. The host is not unique to you. It applies to every user who is currently using that host or ever has used that host. The first person who registered the host got to name it, so the name may bear no relation at all to the domains in the host.

If you want to EMAIL your login username and host information to me, I will be happy to look into this for you.

Please DO NOT post that information in this public forum. Email it to me at Service[at]SpamCop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

...Additional information is available in the SpamCop FAQ:

• "-----> MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started" section "Scenario: How does the MailHost data get added to the database?"
  • "-----> MailHostConfiguration - Wiki Version" section "Mailhost name."

Hello Don and thanks for your reply

Not to worry. The host is not unique to you. It applies to every user who is currently using that host or ever has used that host. The first person who registered the host got to name it, so the name may bear no relation at all to the domains in the host.

OK, understood.

But there are domains in the list for the host which have no connexion with my mail service provider.

For example my provider's MX are like 'mx-myprov.com' but mailhost config has added a dozen like 'mx-hisprov.net' to the list (you will see the real ones in my MP).

But 'hisprov.net' is not related to 'myprov.com' and my e-mails never transit by their servers, so 'hisprov.net' is effectively whitelisted although it could be used to transmit spam.

Maybe these MX were added because they were valid for the person who first registered the host - but they are still all mixed up anyway...

If you want to EMAIL your login username and host information to me, I will be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks, its on its way.

Regards

Christophe

Hello Steve

...Additional information is available in the SpamCop FAQ:

• "-----> MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started" section "Scenario: How does the MailHost data get added to the database?"
  • "-----> MailHostConfiguration - Wiki Version" section "Mailhost name."

Thanks - I searched for the first topic but didn't get any results ???

Is there a direct link?

Regards,

Christophe

Hi, Christophe!

Hello Steve
...You noticed my sig -- thanks! :) <g>
<snip>

I searched for the first topic but didn't get any results ???

<snip>

...The easiest way to find it, I think, is:
  • Navigate to the SpamCop FAQ page, links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page.
  • Search within the SpamCop FAQ page for the string "MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started" (without the quotes) and click on the link found.
  • On the page that opens ("FAQ Entry: MailHost Configuration problems"), search within the page for the string "Scenario: How does the MailHost data get added to the database?" (without the quotes). The four lines under the heading are the relevant content.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Steve

• ...The four lines under the heading are the relevant content.

Hope that helps!

Yesss! - thanks.

That's how I guessed it worked - but I didn't realise the last part:

Each server identified is added to the mailhost record for that domain.

and also what follows:

If a mailhost record already exists for that domain (i.e. another user on that domain) your account is simply pointed at that already existing record. If any new servers are identified they are added to the existing record.

That is why the wrong servers of a different provider appear in my list: they had been added for a previous user and now they are 'stuck' :-(

I understand why it is done that way - to build up ever more complete lists for a provider - but if something goes wrong it is difficult to undo it. In my case (and therefore that of all other clients of my provider) two unrelated domains are mixed up in the same record.

Regards, Christophe

Hi, Christophe

Thanks, Steve

<snip>

Yesss! - thanks.

...My pleasure, glad I was able to help!
<snip>

if something goes wrong it is difficult to undo it.

...SpamCop Deputies (deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net) and/ or Don D'Minion 84451[/snapback] (see second and third sentences in Don's reply) may be able to clean up that "mess." No promises, though. :) <g>

Archived