[Resolved] Server Status

Lking

I know, of itself it's not serious, but the graphs of server reporting status stopped working almost 24 hours ago. I haven't seen any mention of it in the newsgroups or forums.

It always alarms me when this happens. It makes me think nobody is looking to see things are working.

Sometimes it just starts working again. Sometimes my mail disappears for a fortnight. Please humour me. I'm a helpless neurotic, but only because of bitter experience. And I like the pretty graphs, which reassure me I'm not the only one deluged with multiple copies of incomprehensible cyrillic nonsense.

Merged here from a separate topic by Steve T.

I'm penciling in "glitch" - about 13 hours ago, my server accepted an email that was delivered by one of Spamcop's servers, but didn't make any sense: no sign in my email logs of any outgoing mail that could have triggered it.

OK, other observations may be useful but after a brief stutter the stats chart is slowly winding up again without the "catch-up" spike often seen (no definite/sustained reporting interruptions noted and indeed it seems there were none).

• 2 months later...

Last word was that this had been referred to JT himself and shortly after that advice the graph re-started. Several hours later, it is still working. Calling it "fixed". Thanks JT!

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness the levels have fallen since I last looked. Are we winning?

What I still get in terms of "Rianna Lovelya, about your e-mail" type filth suggests that spam is becoming positively old fashioned...?

Medium-term, we seem to have dropped about half relative to the levels before the reverted parser update prior to the last (successful) update. That may be due to factors other than declining member reports (or partly so at least) - the missing spikes from Fri, Sat, Sun last dragging down this week's average for instance look like something else.

Ð…pam comes in many varieties but it seems the fragmentation of IPv4 netspace might indeed be encouraging a resurgence of retro-styles through hardened hosting using evolved botnet-operated (but owned-address hosting) - as just one approach. Fortunately spamfighting comes in many varieties these days too. SC still has the fairly-well unique constant early-warning role and capability (and keeps the bar raised against lazy spammers) within that patchy-variable arsenal of defence, IMO, despite approaching Methuselah status in internet time-scales. A lot of spammers have come and gone ... a lot of spam "development cycles" have turned through their courses.

Archived