My Email Address In spam Subject Line

emanmb

From time to time I get a spam that has my email address in the subject line. Seems a clever way to insure if reported, to know who reported it. Typically it means I have to send the spam to SC, view the full message, copy that, then cancel the report, paste the spam into SC, and then strip my email from the subject line.

Since 99% of what I am reporting comes from Yahoo, I use the option-shift-F method to FWD the spam from my browser (not an email client) to SC which doesn't allow one to change anything in the FWD.

I'm wondering if there is a better method or should I just not report those spams as my address in the Subject I assume isn't going to be obfuscated.

Typically these are Chinese spams IN Chinese except for my address. I'm also wondering about those spams that have my address in the BODY of the spam and how those should be handled.

I was going to apply this method to a spam today.

After fwd'ing the spam to SC I came to SC to report it and look for my address in the View Full Report. The Subject line was all nonsense,

"=?GB2312?B?xOPP69KqtcTK1rHttb3By6OszNi5pNeo08N+KEFEKWVtYW5tYkB5YWhvby5j?=

=?GB2312?B?b20=?="

and the body, which had my email address in the original in my email box was also just a long letter string so there was no need to strip out my address.

Does SC somehow sense this and obfuscate the entire email?

I realize that changing anything in the report is 'against the rules' but I'm torn between allowing my address to go out in the report vs not reporting vs stripping my address from the report.

Thanks for any input.

Does SC somehow sense this and obfuscate the entire email?

I realize that changing anything in the report is 'against the rules' but I'm torn between allowing my address to go out in the report vs not reporting vs stripping my address from the report.

Thanks for any input.

A reporting link is helpful

Reported spam is rarely given to spammer

So what if it is? spammer has your email anyway

It is permissible to remove YOUR email address by replacing it with an X (I don't bother)

SpamCop is a Bot and you can help it a bit more

If I have time I track originating IP as well as email server , check IP's with SCBL and senderbase, include CBL link if there is one in "comments" on full reporting

From time to time I get a spam that has my email address in the subject line. Seems a clever way to insure if reported, to know who reported it.

Seems to me that would be a plus. If I found that somebody on my spam list continually reported me, I would be quick to remove it.

It is OK to remove your address from the spam before you report it.

If the address in the "Subject" line is the same as the address in the "To" or "CC" field, you're all set because SpamCop will delete those addresses from wherever they appear in the spam, including the "Subject" line.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Unless they decide to take "revenge" on me! :o

Seems to me that would be a plus. If I found that somebody on my spam list continually reported me, I would be quick to remove it.

Thanks all, I'll stop worrying then.

Unless they decide to take "revenge" on me! :o

Thanks all, I'll stop worrying then.

...In addition to "revenge" (although spammers are generally too lazy/ stupid/ removed from the actual sending of spam to bother), your potentially providing your e-mail address back to the spammer (again, as petzl suggests, probably not all that common from just reporting) shows that you are actually reading and paying active attention the spam you receive (for this purpose, spammers will ignore that you are reporting them), making your e-mail address more valuable in the wider spammer community, which may result in attracting even more spam than you are getting from the spammers who are currently using your address.

Archived