[Resolved] "potentially executable attachment"

johnwade

I'm a new user and have been faithfully forwarding my spam. I forward as an attachment. About 75% of the spam I've forwarded is rejected by my host because of: "potentially executable attachment". I did some reading on the forum and decided to send from my gmail account on one of the emails and it did work. I got back the message from spamcop stating accepted email. However clicking on the provided link I find myself listed as a recipient in the reporting section. I receive the email and clicked on the link and arrive at Abuse report response center and I'm given a few options. I haven't gone any farther as I'm not sure how to proceed.

>- send from my gmail account

I am wondering exactly what you mean by that. Do you mean you forwarded the spam to your Gmail account before submitting it for reporting?

If so, that won't work because it alters the headers and makes you look like the source of the spam.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

If you're forwarding to Gmail to then forward to SpamCop, then you need to add Gmail to your mailhosts. See http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4068 Otherwise you are (somehow, don't really understand how) reporting your Gmail account as the first source outside of your current and only mailhost. I don't understand how you receive an abuse report unless you have added yourself as a user-nominated abuse address. Too many assumptions - can we see a tracking url for one of these cases?

Alternatively, it is permissible to truncate the message body to some (fairly large) extent (for instance removing the executable attachment). If your mail client has the facility to detach attachments (just save then immediately and carefully delete them without opening them) that would be a way around the problem - if I understand the situation.

Sorry I meant that instead of using my mail's outgoing server as provided by the company that host's my websites, I select gmail's outgoing mail server when I forward as an attachment.

John

>- send from my gmail account

I am wondering exactly what you mean by that. Do you mean you forwarded the spam to your Gmail account before submitting it for reporting?

If so, that won't work because it alters the headers and makes you look like the source of the spam.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Tracking Urls:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5497682839z0...e297923be764b6z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5497682790z5...582d5efa51e738z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z5497680877z4...2001856cd0e2f9z

John

If you're forwarding to Gmail to then forward to SpamCop, then you need to add Gmail to your mailhosts. See http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4068 Otherwise you are (somehow, don't really understand how) reporting your Gmail account as the first source outside of your current and only mailhost. I don't understand how you receive an abuse report unless you have added yourself as a user-nominated abuse address. Too many assumptions - can we see a tracking url for one of these cases?

Alternatively, it is permissible to truncate the message body to some (fairly large) extent (for instance removing the executable attachment). If your mail client has the facility to detach attachments (just save then immediately and carefully delete them without opening them) that would be a way around the problem - if I understand the situation.

Hi, John!

Report spam to:

Re: 65.51.95.9 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: hostmaster[at]cv.net

To: abuse[at]cv.net

To: postmaster[at]cv.net

...You are hostmaster[at]cv.net, abuse[at]cv.net and/ or abuse[at]cv.net?

Report spam to:

Re: 193.182.250.34 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: postmaster[at]crystone.se

To: abuse[at]crystone.net

...You are postmaster[at]crystone.se and/ or abuse[at]crystone.net?

Report spam to:

Re: 94.228.223.36 (Administrator of network where email originates)

To: abuse#netrouting.com[at]devnull.spamcop.net

...You are abuse[at]netrouting.com?

...If you are any of the above, then see Don D'Minion's (SpamCopAdmin) 84628[/snapback] last sentence for an explanation as to why it is happening and Steve's (Farelf) 84629[/snapback] suggestions for what you might try to overcome the problem. But that would only explain that one parse result; since the others are not you, they aren't a problem, are they? Or perhaps you are seeing something different than what I am seeing (which is possible because my SpamCop MailHosts configuration would be different from yours).

...By the way, you may wish to Cancel your parses so that someone doesn't go ahead and submit them against your wishes!

Thanks for the help everyone. I've decided to stop submitting spam. I'm sure given time I'd get it all figured out but unfortunately I keep bumping into odds and ends I don't understand and I don't have the time to make sure I'm doing it right. I made a donation. Keep up your good work. Wish I could have been of more help.

John

...No problem, John, thanks for having done your bit by reporting prior to your having the latest difficulties. If you do find time to try to work on this again, please do add further to this Forum thread and we'll try to help.

Archived