[Resolved] Unexpected setting of bounce flag

lisati

This morning the bounce flag on my reporting account was unexpectedly set on more than one occasion, the message was as follows (email address munged):

Bounce error

Your email address, spamcop[at]voogdnz.net has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'5.7.1 <xxxxxxx[at] xxxxxxx.xxx>: Relay acces=

Please ensure your email account is reliable, then click below:

So far my troubleshooting efforts have revealed no clues from my server's logs, not even any sign of a rejected message claiming to be from spamcop. Some auto-replies have made it through to me after resetting the bounce flag and submitting new spam.

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

the bounce flag on my reporting account was unexpectedly set on more than one occasion, the message was as follows (email address munged):

Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Same here. The autoresponders are in my inbox, yet SpamCop keeps notifying of a bounce.

Bounce error message in the SpamCop screen has no subject or reason!

What I receive when clicking report spam:

Bounce error

Your email address, <Snip> has returned a bounce:

Subject:

<snip>
<snip>
<snip>

...And of course you were both smart enough to not click, right? :) <g>

The message I got was on the spamcop website, not in an email.....

Further information after an informal test. I took the following steps to try to get a picture of what's going on:

1. Forward a previously reported spam as an attachment as usual
  2. Wait for the autoresponder to come in
  3. on the Spamcop webpage, click on "report now"
  4. Fill in a note and hit "cancel"
  5. get "reports cancelled message" as expected
  6. wait a few moments
  7. refressh page

Somewhere in the process something got set and I got the previously mentioned error message.

...Ah, okay. And you still didn't click the link, or if you did you made absolutely certain that it would not navigate to a spammer or malware site, right?

Well for me I was on SpamCop.net, not currently known for spamming!

Me, "I" clicked the scripted "Problem Resolved" button on the SpamCop.net page which showed the bounce message.

I am using the right site, right?? SpamCop.net?

=======================

Me, I,

1. Received spam emails,

2. Sent the spam emails (as I always do) as attachments to my SpamCop reporting address,

3. Opened the SpamCop.net website,

3. Signed into my account,

4. Clicked the Report spam link,

5. Received the following,

hxxp://www.spamcop.net/

Welcome, MainID.

Your average reporting time is: 8 hours; Pretty good!

Bounce error

Your email address, <snip> has returned a bounce:

Subject:

"Problem Resolved" (button)

News: (Last Modified: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:32:25 PM -0500) (Email-account news)

Mail Admins:

Delayed bounces, virus notices, vacation messages - More..

Warning:

We are seeing a new round of phishing attempts aimed at SpamCop/CESmail email account holders.

These emails ask for your user name, password and birthdate, stating these are needed to upgrade you

to a new service. Do not respond to these emails! We are not changing services or servers.

We remind all users that we will never send out a request for personal or account information, will never send an email with a zip or executable attachment or send you a link to a zip or executable file.

Never Click On These Links or Attachments.

Email status now on Twitter! Corporate Email Services (the provider of the SpamCop brand email service)

is providing mail status updates through Twitter. Follow them at #cesmail_status

© 1992-2013 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. HTML4 / CSS2 Firefox recommended - Policies and Disclaimers

If the affected users will EMAIL their login usernames to me, I will look into the bounce issue.

EMAIL... Please do not post your personal information here.

For those of you who don't know about the bounce thing...

When our system email to you bounces, it automatically causes your account to be suspended. If you log into your account, you will be presented with a button you can click on that will remove the bounce flag so you can resume reporting spam. Assuming your address is currently working.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

If the affected users will EMAIL their login usernames to me, I will look into the bounce issue.

When our system email to you bounces, it automatically causes your account to be suspended. If you log into your account, you will be presented with a button you can click on that will remove the bounce flag so you can resume reporting spam. Assuming your address is currently working.

Apologies for the delay replying, will do....

/snip

your address is currently working.

I have got the same warning on SC website clicked everything ok, not knowing problem fixed and what caused the bounce..

bounce report bounced

:lol:

<Service AT admin.spamcop.net>): unknown user: "spamcop_admin"

I'm having the same problem here, and nothing in my email server logs stands out. What would be a big help is information on the bounce message - contents, date/time, etc. Almost anything more than what we get would help.

For whatever it's worth, I got this "bounce" screen this morning too. The best idea I had for determining if my email address ([at]hotmail.com) was having a problem was to send an email from my gmail address. My test email got right through, and I also found the email from the reporting system saying it had accepted my forwarded spam for processing. So I clicked the button to confirm my email is working, and everything worked fine from then on.

Are some of you getting this "bounce" screen repeatedly? I'd be glad to provide additional info if it will help anyone (although can't get at the server logs on Hotmail I'm sure). Otherwise, I'm glad to just continue and not worry about it unless it gets to be a nuisance. :)

I am getting this error repeatedly as well. The error page shows only a blank subject line for me though (compared to emanmb's linked image with actual details of an email).

I use a hosted service for my email, so I'm limited on how much troubleshooting I can do there. I'm not seeing any signs of email delivery problems though, including getting emails from SpamCop (submission notification alerts, automated responses to reports that I've submitted, etc.).

I'll email Don my details later when I have access.

Same here the SpamCop Service email is bouncing back.

Sent: Friday, July 19, 2013 11:46 AM

To: mainid

Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the mail system at host prod-sc-app2.sv4.ironport .com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<spamcop_admin [at] prod-sc-app2.sv4.ironport .com> (expanded from <Service [at] admin.spamcop .net>): unknown user: "spamcop_admin"

Very odd. Things look okay at the SMTP level:

Resolving host name "vmx1.spamcop.net"...

Connecting to host address "204.15.82.29"...

Connected.

S 220 vmx2.spamcop.net ESMTP

C HELO ipaddresslocation.org

S 250 vmx2.spamcop.net

C MAIL FROM: <info[at]ipaddresslocation.org>

S 250 sender <info[at]ipaddresslocation.org> ok

C RCPT TO: <service[at]admin.spamcop.net>

S 250 recipient <service[at]admin.spamcop.net> ok

C DATA

S 354 go ahead

This host states that the address is valid.

Disconnected.

service[at]admin.spamcop.net is

a valid deliverable e-mail box address.

It's that "expanded from" aliasing thing going wrong, shown in the previous post, by the looks ... the Elbonians strike again.

The problem is on our end.

SpamCop has suddenly taken to sending false delivery failure notices. All very strange!!

We're working on it, but there is no news yet.

As always, when you experience a problem with SpamCop, the immediate action drill is to shut down your browser and go lie on the couch. :-)

Before I go lie down, should I,

1: keep fwd'ing spam to SC?

2: click the 'problem resolved' button so I can report what I've fwd'ed already?

e

The problem is on our end.

SpamCop has suddenly taken to sending false delivery failure notices. All very strange!!

We're working on it, but there is no news yet.

As always, when you experience a problem with SpamCop, the immediate action drill is to shut down your browser and go lie on the couch. :-)

Before I go lie down, should I,

1: keep fwd'ing spam to SC?

2: click the 'problem resolved' button so I can report what I've fwd'ed already?

SpamCop still works fine, autoresponders are received and the spam is processed.

Just need to keep clicking the 'problem resolved' button each time spam is sent to my account.

Q. If users need to keep clicking on the 'problem resolved' button till it's resolved, does/will it have any negative affect on their accounts with SpamCop???

My big complaint is the the bounce flag message provides insufficient information to track down the source of the bounce.

It lacks, among other things, a timestamp, and the IP address of the server that generated the bounce, both of which make

it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to locate the source of the bounce, if in fact a bounce has occurred in the first place.

In my case, I have a single server to look at, and have searched the logs going back almost 5 months without locating a

single match, or any indication at all that email from spamcop has bounced.

I seem to recal that at one point, spamcop glitched, and set the bounce flag based on some extremely stale bounces

(ie: the bounces had occurred, but had occurred many months earlier), but I can't find any evidence that I commented on it here,

and I can't find any email relating to it.. I might be confusing it with Yahoo groups, but I don't think so.

Archived