SSL Certificate expired again

DavidT

Not sure if 'email support' has dropped by lately, but the security certificate for 'webmail.spamcop.net' has just expired, causing dire browsing warnings not to go to the site. It would be good to fix that ASAP.

update: it appears that email_support hasn't logged in for about a month...that's not a good sign, IMO.

DT

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The security certificate for pop.spamcop.net expired 9/28/2013 3:04:08 PM CT.

Yep. :angry: Can't login to fetch mail using my Apple Mail client.

Can anyone page the email team to fix this. It's the weekend and I doubt it can be fixed before Monday, but I have my hopes.

Sad to see this happen again--especially on the weekend. You'd hope this service would be used by those who run it, and they would notice immediately

I agree. Also, it wouldn't seem like such a burden for webmail support to put a reminder in whatever appointment system they have to tell them a few weeks before it's about to expire.

Sad to see this happen again--especially on the weekend. You'd hope this service would be used by those who run it, and they would notice immediately

I reported the issue through the Webmail problem interface yesterday, but so far have not received even the auto-reply email assigning me a case number.

Yesterday I could bypass certificate warning in the Webmail interface but today it's a hard error. I've had to switch off SSL in my email client and use http: in Webmail so I can get my mail.

I'm not crazy about turning SSL off, for myself. But I pay for an acccount for my Dad, who is not getting his email right now because I have him set up with SSL. I really don't want to alter his setup. But if I had to, normally I would remote login as he lives several hours away, but he literally JUST moved and I can't remote in until I go visit and set up his routers and network for him. Even a simple change like https to http is difficult to talk him through over the phone, I'd rather not even try. So I'm having to look through his mail and call him with anything important until I can visit or this is fixed :-(

My certificate provider sends me several email reminders starting a couple of months in advance and continuing periodically until renewed. So I have to say I'm very disappointed to be in this state again with my email, after having gone through this same thing last time.

I'll make another report through the webmail interface and hope it goes through.

--appyface

I just sent an email to the reporting side of the house to see if they could make sure the email side of things is aware of the problem. With any luck, they'll have it fixed soon.

Yup seeing this too, as of yesterday. I wasn't sure if it was a man-in-the-middle attack or legit. (Actually surprised it was legit, they're usually pretty good staying on top of this sort of stuff.)

Thank goodness for webmail via mail.spamcop.net but I really would like to be using my mail client. Look like we'll just have to hold out until Monday.

Support advised that renewed certificates are being obtained and should be in effect by now.

News from the login page:

Sep 29, 2010

* [11:05 EDT] The expired certificates have all been updated. You should not get any errors or warnings about certificates after this point. Please let us know if you have any problems.

Marking "Resolved" with this post.

If "resolved" means "doesn't work", then it's "resolved". pop.spamcop.net is using a certificate which is only valid for mail.spamcop.net, so Google is still returning an SSL Security Error attempting to retrieve email. https://webmail.spamcop.net/ is still using a certificate which expired on 09/28/2013 02:16 PM. The current time is 09/29/2013 01:08 PM.

Sten

If "resolved" means "doesn't work", then it's "resolved". pop.spamcop.net is using a certificate which is only valid for mail.spamcop.net, so Google is still returning an SSL Security Error attempting to retrieve email. https://webmail.spamcop.net/ is still using a certificate which expired on 09/28/2013 02:16 PM. The current time is 09/29/2013 01:08 PM.

Sten

Check the date of the post. That was 3 years ago. You went back in time a little too far. ;)

https://webmail.spamcop.net not working:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to webmail.spamcop.net. The OCSP server has refused this request as unauthorized. (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_unauthorized_request)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

Webmail works with http: but of course is not secure.

My email client has always used SSL port 993 to imap.spamcop.net, this is also failing:

Secure connection to the server could not be established.

My email client works with SSL disabled and port 143, but of course is not secure.

Resolved <> fixed for any of them for me.

--appyface

I still haven't received even auto-ack to my problem reports through webmail. No doubt they're not receiving any reports because of the certificate errors.

And the only news on the webmail login page is "old news can always be found..." LOL

It seems our email support is on hiatus.

--appyface

Serverfejl: 0x800CCC90

Svar fra server: -ERR Cannot establish TLS with POP server 216.154.195.50:110, SSL_connect error 1:error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

Server: 'mail.spamcop.net'

Windows Live Mail Fejl-id: 0x800CCC90

Protokol: POP3

Port: 110

Sikker (SSL): Nej

...I saw user "email_support" online a bit earlier today looking at this forum "thread," when I was posting my previous message here. So at least they are aware of it.

Yes, they've been by, but didn't bother to even acknowledge the problem. That might be partially due to the merging of the 2013 problem reports with one from 2010...I don't approve. In fact, I wish you'd hack them back apart, Mr. Moderator!

DT

BTW, I also didn't receive any sort of ack to my attempted "Problem Report" postings in the webmail. Things FUBAR here, folks!

...That might be partially due to the merging of the 2013 problem reports with one from 2010...I don't approve. In fact, I wish you'd hack them back apart, Mr. Moderator!...
Sorry, entirely inadvertent, should be fixed now.

Different, but still not fixed for me.

When adding SSL and port 993 back to my email client, I now get this warning. Oh and my system clock is correct for my timezone (PST):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The server you are connected to is using a certificate that could not be verified.

A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Do you want to continue using this server?

When going to https://webmail.spamcop.net I still have a hard error from Firefox:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to webmail.spamcop.net. The OCSP server has refused this request as unauthorized. (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_unauthorized_request)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

IE is slightly more forgiving:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Recommended Click here to close this webpage.

Not recommended Continue to this website (not recommended).

--appyface

Just to clarify--there was a little confusion on this topic due to an accidental merge of two current topics with a similar one from three years ago. So please ignore the messages still in this new thread that refer to actions in 2010.

As of Tuesday, Oct. 1 at 11:40 EDT, there has been NO PROGRESS on this issue, and NO RESPONSE from [at]Email_Support (although they logged in again this morning, but haven't posted anything in over a month). The SSL cert(s) for any/all CESMail services are still expired, and it's still causing problems. Furthermore, the "Problem" reporting function in the webmail also appears to be broken, in that none of us have received even an auto-ack of our submissions. This comes not long after other recent problems, including the non-routing of SCBL-listed messages into Held Mail, that mysteriously got fixed without any word from support.

WTF?

It would really be nice if someone could post some kind of message saying that someone is at least thinking about this. Earlier I was thinking this was bad but at least we would be back on-line on Monday morning, but now we are now into the 4th day without email, and no one is even saying anything like: we're working on it, or oops, or an ETA or...

(It wasn't even easy to get signed up for this forum since all my email was routing through spamcop.)

Archived