Need Help with User Group spam

emanmb

I belong to a photography based user group/email list and the list minder has had to put my account on supervision as spam coming from my address has been sent to the group. I'm using my gmail account for this list and have already changed my password a couple weeks ago. The list minder just recently took me off supervision and sure enough they got another spam from my email address.

What I'm hoping to get here is:

1)some advice as to how to prevent this from happening if that is possible.

2) Find out if this is just a case of address spoofing or something more sinister such as a compromised account.

3) Get some advice for the list minder so he can adjust things at his end to block these spams if that's possible.

I'm not sure how to post a link to the spam report here so I'll need advice for that. In any case SC couldn't parse the header.

I access this gmail account via 2 methods; my iphone and via my web browser on my comp. I only use Macs so viruses and are unlikely and have been scanned for with negative results.

I will share the advice here with the list minder as well.

Thanks in advance!

I belong to a photography based user group/email list and the list minder has had to put my account on supervision as spam coming from my address has been sent to the group. I'm using my gmail account for this list and have already changed my password a couple weeks ago. The list minder just recently took me off supervision and sure enough they got another spam from my email address.

What I'm hoping to get here is:

1)some advice as to how to prevent this from happening if that is possible.

2) Find out if this is just a case of address spoofing or something more sinister such as a compromised account.

3) Get some advice for the list minder so he can adjust things at his end to block these spams if that's possible.

I'm not sure how to post a link to the spam report here so I'll need advice for that. In any case SC couldn't parse the header.

I access this gmail account via 2 methods; my iphone and via my web browser on my comp. I only use Macs so viruses and are unlikely and have been scanned for with negative results.

I will share the advice here with the list minder as well.

Thanks in advance!

My guess is that you are being "joe-jobbed". Likely the list manager is only relying on the "from" field to verify that the email is coming from "you." What you may need to do to prove your innocence is re-subscribe to the list from another, fresh email address and then un-sub your old email address.

Just a suggestion there.

You should read some of the FAQ regarding reporting spam. If I read your post correctly, the spam is being sent to/received by the user group, not by you and therefore you can't report it here.

To be of much use the original email, including the original header, needs to be reported. That information is available to the "list minder". Without that it is impossible to tell where the email originated from as apposed to the FROM: which can easily be forged.

I received the exact same spam the group received and that one I tried to report and SC couldn't parse the header. The list minder has directed me to a page where a copy of the LIST'S spam resides. I tried to report that and SC couldn't parse the header for that either.

I'm on good terms w/the list and have offered to change my email address for using the list which they think may be the best answer unless someone in this forum knows of some way around that. We've all agreed that someone has spoofed my address.

I was just hoping that someone who can decipher the headers/SC report better than I could take a look and tell me wassup.

:)

You should read some of the FAQ regarding reporting spam. If I read your post correctly, the spam is being sent to/received by the user group, not by you and therefore you can't report it here.

To be of much use the original email, including the original header, needs to be reported. That information is available to the "list minder". Without that it is impossible to tell where the email originated from as apposed to the FROM: which can easily be forged.

Archived