SpamCop has became worst than spam :-(

ipo

To be honest, I think than SpamCop is WORST that tons of spam in mailbox :-(

I'm a regular user who uses common dialup connection to the internet from

home. As I don't have permanent IP address, I always get a different one.

The problem is, that usually I get a blacklisted IP address and I CAN'T SEND

emails. I had to disconnect, pray to the God so he/she would give me a

non-blacklisted address and try again and again and again :-(

My ISP can't help me, it's not possible to assign a permanent IP address as

I'm a dialup user.

Another thing is that (according to my ISP), most of the blocked IP

addresses are blocked due to bad behaviour of users (only a minority of them

is are real spam senders, most of them are sending viruses or more likely

virus reports to false & innocent adresses) - these users feels abused by

receiving these false emails and the the others to the blacklist.

So what can I do? Except cursing at whole SpamCop community, I can do

NOTHING! So far SpamCop made me more problems than help :-(((

I'd like to know if there are more people who feels the same...

ipo

and the ISP mail server is a constant..not a floating IP...

what I don't understand is that if as you say, the dial up IP is blocked, why is it made available for use on dialup...something is fishy here, but a more savy contributor should comment on this...

what I don't understand is that if as you say, the dial up IP is blocked, why is it made available for use on dialup...something is fishy here, but a more savy contributor should comment on this...

Yes, I run my own mail server, because it's required for my school project I'm currently working on.

I don't know why I get a blocked IP address. Maybe the ISP should assign only valid and not blocked addresses... I don't know.

To put in other words - how would you feel, if somebody would started to block all emails coming from spamcop.net or 214.244.181.93???

So far I can say, that SpamCop makes more problems, than the ones it should solve! (At least in my case...)

Maybe the ISP should assign only valid and not blocked addresses

Basically, it sounds like your ISP needs to get a bit more up to speed on stopping the spam spew leaving their servers. If you'd identify some of your problem IP addresses, there might be some specific information offered as to what the real issues are, but at this point, all we have here is you complaining about SpamCop listing some IP's that have been reported as spam sources. And again, the blocking action only comes into play when your outgoing e-mail hits an ISP that has chosen to use the SpamCop DNSbl to block the incoming spam spew.

As mentioned above, there are other ISPs that will refuse your connection just because you're seen using a dial-up connection for an e-mail server.

if somebody would started to block all emails coming from spamcop.net or 214.244.181.93

There are plenty of idiots out there that do just that. Nothing new.

that SpamCop makes more problems, than the ones it should solve! (At least in my case...)

Have you yet read through the Pinned Faq at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=972 ..?? You'll note that some of the issues you're complaining about are self-inflicted, others appear o be based on your selection of an ISP to handle your connection to begin with.

Yes, I run my own mail server, because it's required for my school project I'm currently working on.

I don't know why I get a blocked IP address. Maybe the ISP should assign only valid and not blocked addresses... I don't know.

Have you checked with your ISP? Most ISPs, in the US anyway, prohibit the running of mail servers from consumer dialup accounts

To put in other words - how would you feel, if somebody would started to block all emails coming from spamcop.net or 214.244.181.93???

It happens all the time.

So far I can say, that SpamCop makes more problems, than the ones it should solve! (At least in my case...)

Perhaps you should address your anger to your ISP, whose IPs are being used by spammers, instead of the victims who are only protecting themselves from the abuses coming out of your ISP. Trying to shame abuse victims into abandoning their defenses because it is inconvenient for you is rather low.

Should people quit locking their doors just because you aren't a burglar?

Maybe the ISP should assign only valid and not blocked addresses

Basically, it sounds like your ISP needs to get a bit more up to speed on stopping the spam spew leaving their servers. If you'd identify some of your problem IP addresses, there might be some specific information offered as to what the real issues are, but at this point, all we have here is you complaining about SpamCop listing some IP's that have been reported as spam sources. And again, the blocking action only comes into play when your outgoing e-mail hits an ISP that has chosen to use the SpamCop DNSbl to block the incoming spam spew.

As mentioned above, there are other ISPs that will refuse your connection just because you're seen using a dial-up connection for an e-mail server.

if somebody would started to block all emails coming from spamcop.net or 214.244.181.93

There are plenty of idiots out there that do just that. Nothing new.

that SpamCop makes more problems, than the ones it should solve! (At least in my case...)

Have you yet read through the Pinned Faq at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=972 ..?? You'll note that some of the issues you're complaining about are self-inflicted, others appear o be based on your selection of an ISP to handle your connection to begin with.

Don't forget that there still are countries where having internet connection is a kind of privilege. Besides that, there's no chance to switch ISP as there's no other company providing such services in my area (in my case).

Yes, the problem is that most of the emails I send hit ISPs who use SpamCop's

blacklist database, even my stupid school for which I have to make my year project to pass...

No, it's not my case with refusing connection - the sent emails are delivered to destination servers, but get back with blah blah server blacklisted message and never reach the recipient's mailboxes.

You say that people trying to block spamcop.net are idiots - I do the same, except that I think SpamCop is the idiot in my case, because SpamCop is responsible for blocking my server and undelivering my messages.

Yes, I've read the Faq, regarding that I still think I'm blocked by mistake or by misuse.

To be honest, as I'm reading your reactions I feel like a victim. I'm presumed guilty for sending spam, because I have a temporary IP some fool had before used for sending spam. You tell me what I shouldn't to, but what about starting cleaning up your house first?

I feel like being shot by police, because I bought a spoon in the shop, where somebody else bought a knife and cut your mum's throat with it.

To paraphrase, I feel that the whole purpose and noble goal of SpamCop is being the big internet police - something like USA does in the whole world with their troops fighting for world peace and all the blah blah we are used to hear from the big Bushie :-(

Bill Gates said that the biggest problem of internet in the near future will be spam in such a bad way, that the emails will become useless. He was right - but not the spam is killing emails, but the things like SpamCop and similars.... Howgh!

You may need to run your own server for that project but send regular email through your ISP's servers. There are several reasons for this.

There are many lists that block any DHCP or Dial-up space from sending email. Spamcop is not one of them. Since spam has multiplied, accepting direct to MX email is not cost efective at this point. Many sites no longer accept email directly from dialup or broadband user network IP addresses.

There are some servers that use multiple blocklists that are configured incorrectly to say that spamcop caused the block when in reality, some other list was the cause. Spamcop has no cotrol over these configurations.

Without a specific IP address to check against the blocklist, there is no way anyone here can help you any further. You can check your own IP address by following this link: http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

You say that people trying to block spamcop.net are idiots - I do the same, except that I think SpamCop is the idiot in my case, because SpamCop is responsible for blocking my server and undelivering my messages.

SpamCop doesn't bounce email based on the blocklist, it DIVERTS potential spam to its customer's "Held Mail" folder. If someone is bouncing your email because of the SCBL it is THEIR decision, a decision made without SpamCop's input.

If you came here to seek real help identify the IP in question so people can inform you of what the problem is. Otherwise your ranting is utterly useless and serves no purpose but an avenue to vent your frustrations.

If you came here to seek real help identify the IP in question so people can inform you of what the problem is. Otherwise you ranting is simply useless and serves no purpose other than venting your frustrations.

Yeah, I'm frustrated, you get the point!

With all my complains I just wanted to say, that you got a good idea starting the SpamCop project, but you also made mistakes - you didn't think about users who have the same problems like I do. But I think there's unfortunately nothing to do with it in the current state.

Another bad thing is that ISPs using SpamCop databases are not using them correctly, that's the reason my email never reaches the recipient and is returned to me.

Just for my information - from which part of the world are the most SpamCop users? I feel that in no man's land where I live (former eastern europe), SpamCop makes more pain that pleasure. This is how I feel!

SpamCop helps you, but it harms me. And no, I'm not a spammer, just a regular internet user.

Just for my information - from which part of the world are the most SpamCop users?

The majority of people you will run into here are simple users and not privy to that type of information.

That being said, while the DNSBL servers are located on the west coast of the United States and the email service is located on the east coast of the United States, there are many people here and in the newsgroups from your part of the world. In particular, if I remember correctly, there are several users here from the Netherlands.

I feel that in no man's land where I live (former eastern europe),

Unfortunately it exactly places like Romania and Bulgaria which are the worst offenders in spam, internet fraud, new viruses and hacking...If their authorities do nothing to stop that crime, why would we not try to stop it from reaching us?

And I say that with some degree of shame, as I am also original from that part of the world...

We block all dialup IP addresses on all of our mail servers.

Most ISP's do not allow running mail servers on dial up connections.

What class is this for, spamming 101?

The project is to control various home aplliancies from any place in the world by sending emails. The computer doest the required action, then answers by his own mail server. I have to run my own mail server, as I'm doing tests in a small 3 PC home network. As I'm simulating "any place in the world", I send some emails out of my PC, and I receive emails from other people who are involved in this project (from universities in Netherlands and Austria as well). The main idea may seem crazy and totally useless, but this is the way I do my class project :-)

Satisfied with my explanation?

However I start to feel "We're the best, so f*ck the rest" attitude from your reactions :-( SpamCop is the best, we like it, you should do the same - no, I will never like it!

I think SpamCop is not a definite solution for spam. It's something like medicine for sickness. But first you should do some prevention to not to became ill...

I'd have thougt that this is more of an issue than spam on the IP address... Am I not right in thinking that many ISPs now reject Email from a mail server on a dynamic IP?

Perhaps IPO needs to find an ISP that will provide him with a fixed IP whci will then resolve his problem.

Andrew

I'd have thougt that this is more of an issue than spam on the IP address... Am I not right in thinking that many ISPs now reject Email from a mail server on a dynamic IP?

Perhaps IPO needs to find an ISP that will provide him with a fixed IP whci will then resolve his problem.

Andrew

Trying to recall all that was said here, but technically ipo stated that the issue was his/her use of running his/her own e-mail server on a dynamic IP. The technical side of this is missing some detail. The "requirement" that his/her own e-mail server hasn't actually been identified. Why he/she couldn't run his/her own mail server, but actually make the connection via his/her ISP's e-mail server (especially the outgoing) hasn't been answered. Two of the more famous 'free' apps that do e-mail duties, Mercury Mail and 602LanSuite both allow running as a stand-alone (i.e., your own server) or acting as the internal mail distribution system for e-mail collected/sent from the upstream's (i.e. your ISP's) e-mail server. Not stated is whether ipo has registered a domain name, which might solve some other issues, depending on what he/she did after making that first step. Again, any specific help that could be offered here is limited due to the lack of information provided about the real and exact situation of ipo's scenario.

However I start to feel "We're the best, so f*ck the rest" attitude from your reactions :-( SpamCop is the best, we like it, you should do the same - no, I will never like it!

I think SpamCop is not a definite solution for spam. It's something like medicine for sickness. But first you should do some prevention to not to became ill...

I admit that I haven't read the whole thread so, perhaps, I missed some posts that exhibited that attitude. However, the ones I have read, are asking questions and posing possible solutions. I am not technically fluent, but I do remember reading posts from people who found technical solutions when their ISP was blocked.

IIWY, I would try some of these solutions. There are a lot of blocklists out there and many more that aren't public. It sounds to me as though your project is going to have to be able to accommodate that fact to be successful.

Of course, many people do preventative measures. And one of them is to not have servers on dialups because that's how spammers operate.

As a student, this should be a learning experience for you. In the real world, theory often has to take a back seat to reality. It may be that before you can test your project, you do need to learn about blocklists and how they work.

Miss Betsy

The project is to control various home aplliancies from any place in the world by sending emails. The computer doest the required action, then answers by his own mail server. I have to run my own mail server, as I'm doing tests in a small 3 PC home network. As I'm simulating "any place in the world", I send some emails out of my PC, and I receive emails from other people who are involved in this project (from universities in Netherlands and Austria as well). The main idea may seem crazy and totally useless, but this is the way I do my class project :-)

Satisfied with my explanation?

None of this explains why you must run your own Direct-to-MX mail server. Assuming your ISP's mail server is not also listed, all you need to do to get past the blocklist is to relay all outgoing messages through your ISP's mail server. All decent mail servers (and a few crummy ones) can do this quite easily.

• 4 weeks later...
SpamCop helps you, but it harms me. And no, I'm not a spammer, just a regular internet user.

If you took a sea journey on a ship with typhoid, you would expect to be quaranteened when you arrived in port, even if you were not sick. In your case, you send your e-mails on a journey using a ship (your ISP) that isinfected with spammers.

This does not happen with the local dialup ISP that I used for years before switching to cable because they were fanatical about making sure that spammers did not use their service. Your ISP is dirty, and you are paying the price -- those of us on the recieving end (and our ISPs) have banded together and said "No more mail from dirty ISPs."

You got a problem with that? You want us to open our doors to spam jist so your mail can get through? Not a chance - if you want to send mail without being blocked, then send it from an ISP that does what mine did (and what Earthlink does) -- invest in procedures to stop spam from going out, and stop looking the other way while taking dirty money from spammers.

You run with the thieves, you get caught in the net.

if you want to send mail without being blocked, then send it from an ISP that does what mine did (and what Earthlink does) -- invest in procedures to stop spam from going out, and stop looking the other way while taking dirty money from spammers.

Now how about some helpful advice given that he has already said that there is only one ISP providing service in his area, so changing is not an option.

If you don't have any useful advice, then you might at least try to show some sympathy for his situation.

Now how about some helpful advice given that he has already said that there is only one ISP providing service in his area, so changing is not an option.

I don't buy that -- if his only problem is outgoing e-mails to universities, he could

a) use web-based e-mail like hotmail or yahoo

B) find an ISP with toll-free dial-up

c) in an age of cheap, cheap, cheap long distance rates, get a dialup ISP in the closest big city where there is some choice.

I am willing to bet there are solutions (other than whining like a victim) if he really wants to find one. I suspect that his lack of creative problem-solving (he DOES claim to be some kind of Compouting Science or IT student) is either willful or a fairy tale from someone who really just wants to dump on spamcop. The story doesn't add up.

Archived