some reported spams fall into a black hole

manchot

For a week or more, *some* of the spams I send to my "secret" reporting address just disappear.

If I paste them into the text box, SC parses and generates reports normally, no prob. Most behave normally.

Here is the URL for the latest one I had to do manually:

http://members.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=get...rtid=6030513031

The only difference between the spams that went through and those that were liost

was the source IP. The spams were the same Ukraine/Russian beauties!

System details:

Debian linux; Spamassassin teergrubes spams and saves them.

Home-made shell scri_pt mails them to my reporting address (for years).

exim4 logs show that 4 spams were sent to spamcop -- only two were seen

and generated a reply from Spoamcop.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

-j.

Hi, j,

...Sorry to hear of your problem. Have you reviewed the SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page) article entitled "Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?" If not, I would think that there's a good chance that something there might cover your case (if not, there's always the very last suggestion in that article). If it doesn't help you or there's something there about which you have a question, please post back here and let us know. In fact, even if something there does lead you towards a solution, please post back here to let us know.

...Good luck!

Thankis, turetzr. I thought I had looked enough at the FAQ but I still missed the one you suggest.

It looks like Case #1, so I'm going to write to the deputies... I will report back :)

-j.

Hi, j,

...Sorry to hear of your problem. Have you reviewed the SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page) article entitled "Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing?

If it doesn't help you or there's something there about which you have a question, please post back here and let us know. In fact, even if something there does lead you towards a solution, please post back here to let us know.

...Good luck!

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way for me to figure out what is happening.

I can't tell the difference between spams you send in by mail, and the ones you report manually.

SpamCop is working normally.

I suspect that your ISP is deleting some of the spams on the way out.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

For a week or more, *some* of the spams I send to my "secret" reporting address just disappear.

This sounds like it might be similar to my recent problem. I have a gmail account and they are randomly filtering out messages with a secret filter to the bit bucket. Sometimes they filter out the response and I just need to login to SpamCop, reset my email status, and report via the link there. Sometimes they filter out the forwarding. It is frustrating and the only solution I found was to change providers.

Well, I dunno.. very strange...

I have sent the 4 spams (virtually identical) of which 2 have disappeared,

to deputies(at) spamcop but so far no reply. I suppose my ISP _could_ be deleting

some, but it sure seems odd that after 10 years, the'y suddenly start pulling such stunts..

I mean, why?!?

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way for me to figure out what is happening.

I can't tell the difference between spams you send in by mail, and the ones you report manually.

SpamCop is working normally.

I suspect that your ISP is deleting some of the spams on the way out.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

<snip>

I have sent the 4 spams (virtually identical) of which 2 have disappeared, to deputies(at) spamcop but so far no reply.

...Don 86512[/snapback] monitors the Deputies inbox so his note may be your reply. Or his note could be based only on what is here; Don will have to tell us, unless you do get an e-mail reply from a Deputy or Don.
<snip>

it sure seems odd that after 10 years, the'y suddenly start pulling such stunts..

I mean, why?!?

...Sorry, not something we here can answer; you'll have to pose that question to your e-mail provider. Just be aware that e-mail provider responses are not always reliable, whether intentionally or just due to ignorance of the person answering. One possible reason is that they just recently decided to tighten up on their outgoing spam filtering. In the case of my employer's e-mail, I have found Symantec SpamManager filtering my outgoing spam reports on a very few occasions; at least they have alerted me via rejection e-mail when they do (as far as I know).

Archived