Error with Spamcop email servers?

...Why do you say that, DT? Surely volunteers come and go from such venues all the time. Wazoo, in particular, had a very large number of "irons in the fire" and health issues so I'm actually surprised that he spent so much time here for so long, not amazed that he hasn't been "seen" for the past three years or so.

I said it because that's what I have been thinking for a long time, and surely I can't be the only one. I too am very thankful for Steve/Farelf's work, as well as anyone else who has helped carry on.

DT

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd pay a bit more if I got convinced there were reliable and alert people looking after my email.

So would I.

Just to vent my bad temper a little, I've developed a mental picture of a couple of smelly individuals in a caravan somewhere, with a big bag of weed and some crates of wild turkey, chilling in front of a huge TV in their underwear, who look after my mail. I've so far managed to assure myself this is a shameful hallucination. It gets harder.

Oh whoops! Some emails are turning up...

There seems to always be a long lag time before they are able to acknowledge the problem.

Once they indicate they are working on the problem the fix seems to come fairly quickly. My

best suggestion is that they need to put on place some sort of better notification/alert system

to get their admin's attention.

I will definitely remember this issue when it comes time to renew my service.
Guess I'll be looking for a new service in the very near future. This is ridiculous. :-/
I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about alternative services I can switch to. What filtering services have you all looked into that might be a viable alternative?

I am starting a Mailman list for folks to exchange ideas for where to move our email services to. It may not become active until next week, but if you PM me here with an email address, I will add you to the list. I'll only add users who look like they have been on the forum for more than a few months.

A lot of places offer "corporate email" but want to charge at least $25/month. So far Zoho looks promising, I have used their other apps. They are free for <20 email addresses and promise not to read your email to pitch ads :D .

Just to vent my bad temper a little, I've developed a mental picture of a couple of smelly individuals in a caravan somewhere, with a big bag of weed and some crates of wild turkey, chilling in front of a huge TV in their underwear, who look after my mail. I've so far managed to assure myself this is a shameful hallucination. It gets harder.
No, that is a chicken boner.

I've PMed you, SpamCop_98. Thanks!

Got it, you were first, now there are two.

I appreciate that I am not the only one who has said "enough is enough" and doesn't want to do this alone.

As many have said, the lack of communication is what is frustrating. I KNEW at 3:30 pm PST yesterday I wasn't getting email. How can the administrator be so clueless?

My intent was to acknowledge that "someone" within the "system" and with contact information that I/we are not privy to, is making an attempt to help.

<snip>

...Okay; just be aware that Don is not truly "within the [e-mail] 'system'." Clearly, though, your appreciation of him is well-placed. :) <g>

I said it because that's what I have been thinking for a long time,

<snip>

...Okay, but I don't know what would make anyone think that of a volunteer who clearly worked very hard for a very long time with very little appreciation (except from you, me and a few others) and a lot of very public abuse, especially from official staff of the service and users he was doing so much to support.

I'm still missing a lot of email (including all my test messages).

The inbound MX was down for a long time, so it's likely that you won't see a lot of it until tomorrow. Some sending systems will re-try more often than others, but some will wait a day before trying again, IIUC.

DT

...Okay, but I don't know what would make anyone think that of a volunteer...

It was the sense of secrecy involved in this crap. I'm in favor of more transparency.

DT

<snip>

It was the sense of secrecy involved in this crap. I'm in favor of more transparency.

...It's not a matter of secrecy, exactly, it's a matter of what and to whom Wazoo has chosen to expose details of his personal life. For the record, he hasn't told me anything, either ... but I don't consider it any of my business so I'm not too worked up about it, other then worrying that something (else) bad has come up in his life that has caused him to involuntarily terminate all activity here....

...Been with spamcop for 10 years now (couldn't remeber forum login). ...
The password recovery form is accessed through

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...Reg&CODE=10

... which is not much use when the mail system is bollixed (this forum and all related services are hosted and supported by the mail system) though, making some wild assumptions, I think that would not be the real problem in your case, I think you might have failed to complete registration with an earlier account (accounts need verification of e-mail address for forum account registration), consequently the registration timed out and the account was "banned". I could be wrong (my data not entirely conclusive) and apologise if I am.

NOT to underplay the seriousness of the disruption to the spamcop.net/cesmail.net mail system and the alarm, damage and frustration occasioned, a reminder that the forum allows only one active membership account at a time - but you are in the clear CamelT if my wild assumption is correct. Or it is quite okay to establish a second account in such an exigency as this - but it should only be a temporary measure and contact me (PM) to set things right when thing are back to normal.

********************************************************************************

Finally, and NOT directed at CamelT but at some other posters ... given that the mail service supports this forum (and the newsgroups for that matter) at some expense it is NOT SMART to get all graphic and personal in abusing the proprietor and/or his staff. And canvassing competitor services is these pages is pushing the envelope more than a little as well, just quietly. Justifiable (or even unjustifiable) criticism is one matter, abuse (of anyone - spammers and certain other universally reviled criminals excepted) is not acceptable, abuse of the proprietor is an even worse breach of etiquette, no it is plain crazy. Consider that several attempts have been made in the past to establish independent SC support venues, none has "flown". All members should accept that the forum is of some value and not do things that might harm it. Catharsis is one thing but not at the expense of common sense (or even decency).

I'm totally out of line here, just another user looking to lecture others. Sorry, but I think somebody has to say it.

Steve

Well said Steve.

The one thing I think everyone could agree on would be better communication from the staff perhaps? A message should go up on the News Page as soon as someone knows there is a problem, not when they've fixed it.

That might curtail some of the more questionable comments and curb a lot of anxiety expressed here and elsewhere.

As far as their Twitter page goes, well, that seems to have been abandoned.

I came here this morning simply to post that the servers are still playing 'catch-up' - approximately a 12 hour delay as of time of this post. I haven't received any mail yet that was sent with today's date and I know there has to be some.

Those servers must be really busy.

I've actually been pulling my email directly from my own server without the filtering. I have access to seeing it online via SquirrelMail so I can do the filtering manually before I download anything to my desktop. For now, I've deleted my main account from SpamCop (I did that yesterday around mid-day, since I was frustrated at having my email being pulled into the ether and being inaccessible). If any of you are having a similar issue, I suggest you do the same. For now, anyway.

I agree with the observation that the server is still approx. 12 hours behind processing mail. I disagree that anyone has been particularly abusive or crossed any lines here. Due to the ridiculously slow response to this current outage and then the minimal information shared about what's going on or what's being done to make things like this less frequent, I think criticism is quite warranted, but that's just my opinion.

DT

This was just posted as a new update topic about 15 minutes ago by Email_Support:

The queued mail has been delivered and things should be back to normal. Write to support at cesmail.net if you see otherwise. Thanks for your patience!

My analysis on incoming messages in my account, as well as things that I receive every morning and are nowhere to be found, speaks otherwise. I'm writing to them, and hope everyone else does likewise.

DT

The password recovery form is accessed through

No good if your recovery email address is [at]spamcop.net though as you said ...... also it's been that long since I've used my login (moved house etc) that I can't even remember my login name. So no choice but to create a new login. (I tried my usuals). Nice of you to nit pick on trivial unrelated matters though - because me having to create a new login is the real problem here :rolleyes::blink::rolleyes:

At the end of the day the complaint of most people is the communication. People will live with a lot of crap "IF" they know what's going on. As soon as people don't know what's going on and are left in the dark, that's when tempers rise.

Still missing emails as well - but can't think about now as I'm hiding behind my sofa in case the Spamcop Police call around and beat me with a short length of rubber hose for my violation(s). :ph34r:

This response to my "Problem" report just arrived from Support in my personal (non-SC) email account, but not yet in my SC mailbox, where everything sent to that address gets automatically forwarded:

Hi - we had a problem with delivering inbound mail Fri March 8. We identified the problem and fixed it. The mail queues are being processed and delivered and it will take overnight and into Sat March 9 for all the mail to work it's way through the system.

The calendar on their computer is broken?

DT

At the end of the day the complaint of most people is the communication. People will live with a lot of crap "IF" they know what's going on. As soon as people don't know what's going on and are left in the dark, that's when tempers rise.

Exactly. And now, it appears things have gone from bad to worse, in that the CESMail folks apparently think that everything is just fine, and that all mail has been delivered, and yet that is most certainly NOT the case. Wonder if there's a NASCAR race on this weekend? :P

DT

The backlog into the system may have been cleared but it is still processing items as I am still a few hours behind in receiving test emails I'm sending periodically.

However I would hardly describe receiving mail, albeit delayed, as against not receiving mail at all as "from bad to worse".

I've reported it again using the Problem button in the email client. Maybe they should reword the last notice on the News page.

However I would hardly describe receiving mail, albeit delayed, as against not receiving mail at all as "from bad to worse".

I guess you missed my point, so I must not have been clear. Let me try again: Support dropped by here about an hour or so ago and posted that everything was caught up. They have posted a similar note on the webmail login. They apparently are NOT aware that there's still up to a 12 hour delay. None of the test messages I've sent to myself have arrived. My wife's account doesn't yet contain ANY of the messages sent to her after midnight last night (yesterday, I created duplicate forwards for both of us so that we'd receive mail in real time).

So yes--from BAD to WORSE, in that it's worse that they think things are fine and have gone on with their weekend activities and are probably unaware that things aren't yet resolved. You're welcome to think otherwise, but I think I've got some logic behind what I wrote.

DT

Still missing emails as well - but can't think about now as I'm hiding behind my sofa in case the Spamcop Police call around and beat me with a short length of rubber hose for my violation(s). :ph34r:

Don't go all defensive on us now :D others read here and points needed to be addressed - sympathy for the shortage of communication and delay in its starting - and for less than complete recovery of the mail system so far. Fingers crossed ...

given that the mail service supports this forum (and the newsgroups for that matter) at some expense it is NOT SMART to get all graphic and personal in abusing the proprietor and/or his staff.

Given that I have supported the mail service for 16 years, I have supported the creation of this forum. There would be no forum had I and other users not supported the mail service.

Archived