Spamcop Webmail Down

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an entry on the News page about it which is good as the last two times we were kept in limbo for ages.

Keeping fingers crossed they find and fix the problem soon because I can't even access mail on my ISP's webmail page as it appears it's already gone to the SC servers.

This seems to be happening with ever increasing frequency of late. Bad servers?

I was able to report spam about 4 ayem EST but as of 7:25 ayem EST there is no access to webmail or heldmail and no mail is being processed. IIRC even the webmail login page is not available.

There's an entry on the News page about it which is good as the last two times we were kept in limbo for ages
Where?

I was able to report spam about 4 ayem EST but as of 7:25 ayem EST there is no access to webmail or heldmail and no mail is being processed. IIRC even the webmail login page is not available.

Where?

http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php

Also this on the "Report spam" page of the reporting site:

News: (Last Modified: March-23-14 1:26:57 AM -0400) (Email-account news)

Cesmail reports an issue at their hosting data center affecting all access to their mail servers.

They are investigating and will have mail restored ASAP.

Thanks. The only way I remember to get to that page is via the link on the webmail login page - I haven't found it mentioned anywhere this morning till your kind reply.

Steve

Me too, until I finally bookmarked that page ;-)

Can't log onto incoming pop3 email server.

What's happening at spamcop these days?

See the earlier posts in this thread. They are having an alarming number of lengthy outages lately I must admit.

See the earlier posts in this thread. They are having an alarming number of lengthy outages lately I must admit.

Darn. Over 12 hours of complete outage with no real word of what's going on. A bad delivery outage a couple weeks ago which took hours to get going. Been a loyal customer for years, but I am afraid it's time to think about a move to Google.

Darn. Over 12 hours of complete outage with no real word of what's going on. A bad delivery outage a couple weeks ago which took hours to get going. Been a loyal customer for years, but I am afraid it's time to think about a move to Google.
This has always been the way. The staff gives first priority to fixing things. Google is fine if you want no way to get back at the spammers and don't mind your emails being mined the better to target you for advertising. And don't neglect to sign up for Google+ so I know everything you're doing at all times.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to switch to Google specifically (bye bye privacy) but I'm also considering switching to a different permanent provider.

One thing that has been bugging me for ages is that there are services which do not like the "spamcop.net" address, e.g. LinkedIn, where I had to give up and register with one of my alternative e-mails accounts. These outages right now may as well be the last straw.

One should note, though, that the culprit is CESmail, not Spamcop.

This has always been the way. The staff gives first priority to fixing things. Google is fine if you want no way to get back at the spammers and don't mind your emails being mined the better to target you for advertising. And don't neglect to sign up for Google+ so I know everything you're doing at all times.

Not looking to argue the merits of Google or others. I have worked for years in the computer field where my customers would be gone with a 12 hour outage. Uptime is measured in 3 or 4 nines. With modern technology a backup server should be able to be provisioned and up in minutes, not hours. Trust me, I love spamcop, and this makes me very sad.

A trace route shows good, but trying to telnet in to check SMTP fails. Two obvious possibilities include an internal routing or switch configuration issue, or a complete server failure. There are other possibilities.

I know they have their hands full, trying to restore service, but a communication to subscribers, either via this forum, the news page, or their twitter feed would do WONDERS for subscriber moral & subscriber faith.

I'd much rather be told something along the lines of "the server has had a catastrophic failure, we do not yet have an estimate on service restoration" than have no communication at all.

Until recently, Spamcop/cesmail has served me well. I've been a paid subscriber since the mid to late 90's, and continue to report/contribute spam to help keep the RBL viable.

Two unexplained outages in less than two weeks is seriously shaking my confidence in cesmail. I understand equipment failure, I understand unintended consequences when someone changes a routing table without fully understanding the configuration. I've been "caught on my own pitchfork" more times than I can remember. cesmail is a service business. One of the quickest ways to kill a service business is to not provide service. Communication, especially when there are problems/outages, is part of that service.

I feel slighted, and am not happy, nor do I have "warm fuzzy feelings", given the lack of communications from cesmail.

"your mileage may vary"...

John :unsure:

At least a notice did go up fairly promptly this time but from past outages we wont be updated probably until it's almost fixed.

Cesmail IMHO are letting down Spamcop badly.

I have worked for years in the computer field where my customers would be gone with a 12 hour outage. Uptime is measured in 3 or 4 nines. With modern technology a backup server should be able to be provisioned and up in minutes, not hours. Trust me, I love spamcop, and this makes me very sad.
Fair enough so far as it goes, but we don't know yet what happened.

Fair enough so far as it goes, but we don't know yet what happened.

Have we ever really found out what has happen in the pass or what corrective action has been taken so outage will not occur again?

Have we ever really found out what has happen in the pass or what corrective action has been taken so outage will not occur again?

No, not really. There was mention of problems with a hard drive in a RAID array on a server, but unless I missed it, nothing else about causes or plans for upgrades or improvements to redundancy, etc.

DT

One thing that would help a whole lot would be if users changed their passwords to *strong passwords* and did not use the same passwords for multiple accounts either here or all over the Internet.

I take this to mean that one careless user brought down the system the last time, but others differ in the interpretation of that statement.

I have been a paid user since 1998, the year the service started. If SC doesn't change mail providers by the time my subscription is up, I will be abandoning, sadly, SC.

Because spammers read the forum and because they would like nothing more than to bring SC down, I understand the need for some secrecy. But even lying would better than silence.

Archived