Reporting myself ?

I think i have reported myself for spam ! Very intresting. I use several emailboxes and have sent all messages to my spamcop box. So today i got a message to stop spamming !

Pretty cool but i think i never use that feature longer - to report spam. I don´t bother to read manuals bec i´m often tired of my work so i prefer simple solutions and fast results.

I guess all is my fault....

and i think i have to find a for me more sutiable solution ?

They closed my account all all that stuff - i had so much on it - so i´m depressed of all this ... i guess i have to close my spamcop account also so i dont get in this mess again

my account was closed by my misstake or did anyone that to me... i don+t know and don´t care. I think i close the spamcopadress pretty soon. Still it´s my own fault.

Sorry to hear that Alex. I guess it's a lesson for all of us not to report indiscriminately but double check what we are reporting. I still find it difficult to believe that your ISP would not investigate in the problem before shutting you down

There were recent reports of spoofed IPs in spam, I have seen a few of those myself which were attempting to inculpate my ISP. So it may not be entirely your fault. I would still seek some clear explanation of why you were shut down. There is also the remote possibility that your machine was attacked with a virus or worm by spammers.

Since I started reporting I am viciously attacked with viruses every day. Lately they even managed to spoof my web address to attack me with viruses right from what looked like my web page. Once again, an investigation may reveal if that was the case for you.

I think i have had my account almost 2 years - but i can´t blame them - still i think they closed all to fast - a nice policy should be to ask if i sent a spam...

I use a harwarefirewall and softwarefirewall and a trojan checker and a virusprogram and i don´t think any used my puter.

I have two or three times get a returning mail to the web-mailaccount and i haven´t sent it. Right now i think it´s mostly the webhostingcompanys problem if so. Still i feel bad - over all this - i need a couple of days to feel nice again.

There were recent trports of spoofed IPs in spam, I have seen a few of those myself which were attemting to inculpate my ISP.

IIRC, not even the ISP's were able to figure out how the IP address was spoofed. Remember the part after the [at] is not the IP address.

Since I started reporting I am viciously attacked with viruses every day.

To balance your experience the only viruses I get are on accounts that do not receive spam (and thus no reporting is done). Viruses are probably proportional to the number of correspondents you have - the more you have, the more gullible, don't-read-the-manual people there are where your email address is on their computer. I forget whether you have tried to report the viruses to the IP address from which they come. Nine times out of ten, the ISP notifies his user.

Lately they even managed to spoof my web address to attack me with viruses right from what looked like my server.

That virus is a couple of months old.

an investigation may reveal if that was the case for you.

Good advice to always demand an explanation and investigate. However, if he doesn't want to read the manual, he probably isn't going to want to do any research that an investigation would entail especially if he relies on anecdotal evidence.

Miss Betsy

I have had a communication with the webcompany - even if i don´t like to read manuals. Still i´m not a novice - i can pretty much about php and asp etc and can do almost whatever i like to do in such programming. Not a excuse.... but my hard days give me problem to read all and get to the bottom of a foreign language etc - so i would appriciate to get a automatic working setup before read all i don´t understand bec of my lack in the english language. I have the possibility to ... fix what should be done in talking etc because i´m a lawyer and do all this only for relax etc.

But this isn´t so much problem i mostly got little sad and had to talk to someone - after a few days it´s ok again and i continue. I already have started up a new account by a another company. And now i know so much more.

And i don´t feel i have to demand anything from the company - they prob don´t belive anything anyway if they have the policy to delete all so fast. When i asked nice they should tried to help me more than talking about policies.

Do you trust anyone who only talk about policies and should you in your trust on them. I think it´s a disadvantage to not find a good policy - better to leave without any claims or bad words ets... some care more about customers and i ´m sure i find them...

I found your encouraging and supporting dra007 , thx ! helped a lot.

That virus is a couple of months old.

Maybe, but I only started getting it 2 days ago. They spoofed my University web address as an attachment which activates the virus, so it doesn't get filtered by the server. One I got yesterday was a Nesky virus. I managed to send it back to my helpdesk and they are looking into it. It happened to be from the same sender that kept sending me viruses every day for the last 2 months or so.

I think a enemy easier could use the reporting tool in spamcop - hit a button and your account should be closed immediatly if the company where you have your site have a policy "Zero tolerance".

I hope my enemies didn´t found out that trick :blink: I´m sure they didn´t but a Zero tolerance policy is useful for such trick...

I think a enemy easier could use the reporting tool in spamcop - hit a button and your account should be closed immediatly if the company where you have your site have a policy "Zero tolerance".

I hope my enemies didn´t  found out that trick   :blink:  I´m sure they didn´t but a Zero tolerance policy is useful for such trick...

Hi, Alex,

...No, that isn't possible, at least not with SpamCop. The procedure for adding a server to the SpamCop block list requires more than one report and by more than one person. Also, if the SpamCop user reports something that is not spam, she/he is subject to fines or revocation of her/his SpamCop user account.

*** EDIT ***

...Note that per the below post by StevenUnderwood, this statement is incorrect. I apologize for that! :huh::(

Actually, what Alex proposes is quite possible because he is not saying that spamcop is blocking anything. Each time that Report ow button is pushed with a regular reporter (not mole), a report is sent at least to the abuse desk of the source plus possibly the abuse desk of any links included.

If an abuse desk has a Zero tolerance policy and acted before checking into the problem, the ISP might cause problems. The ISP has a responsibility to their customer to investigate these reports as well. They could lock the account while the investigation goes on but quickly open it if found to be a solitary incident

Yes, Alex, definitely your company should not act so fast! They should investigate. I once sent an email to a poster on the ng because they were so confused and they reported it as spam! But my ISP called and asked me about it because they could see that it was obviously an attempt to help!

But I am glad you are still hanging in there (hope that's not too idiomatic for your english!)

Miss Betsy

Yes, i feel little better now and i have deleted all my other e-mail accounts - i mostly had them as a history record - some friends maybe still used them.

Within a couple of hours my site - or my 78 year old mothers site is running again. It´s very important for her to have it a s a hobby and a contact possibility with others. The site is an interactive site in ASP and she writes a lot about our ancestors there or Genealogy stuff. She got friends from all over because she have such information. Now i finally got the initiative to give her a own webaccount and i think that is the best outcome of this.

I think this misstake will be a good one at the end. I maybe got a new better webaccount and a hopfully a better company to talk with - or who try to talk with me before deleteing all. I´m so happy i took a backup of the access database only a couple of hour before they delted all.

I also sent them a url to this topic - because i think they need to learn something in communication and learn to have a acceptable policy also for those maybe making a misstake.

They also did a misstake didn´t they ? but in their case they didn´t care to be sure if the did or not. At the end their misstake is bigger because the site was going to run as long my mother is alive and i also should have continued to run it after her dead for her memory and her friends. Right now we also are going to register the site as a electronic Magazine in our Country to give her more possibilities to write history there and more articles. The freedom of speech will protect a registered Magazine and that gives it more possibilities to write nice information about the ancestors. Intresting legislation there also ?!

So i lost only a few dollars but i think they lost hundred of dollars. But they feel better and i feel little upset and depressed of being accused... still i guess i and my old mother got a better future.

At the end the company also can afford their misstakes so i guess all is back to it mostly is my problem until i´m not upset longer.....

I wish they had let me to take a backup of my own database in mysql !before closing all - that had been fair !

Is it possible to make a improvements of the reporting system ? If i remember it correct i used the new button inside the email-setup and i saw all mail go away for reports and also saw one i wished to keep. I was careless but i had never used that button before and in fact i stopped to use the reporting system bec i had some thoughts about the forwardings i had from my own accounts.

I think it should be great if there was a short delay for a couple of hours to go back and check it once more before it reports automatic. Is there any such delay i have missed ? (The manual thingy :( ) I like to the improvements to not have to log in to another page... but

As dra007 said earlier, you really need to be more careful in your reporting. Spamcop will cancel your reporting privileges for too many mistakes. You should make an apology to the person you reported the 'real' email to.

If you started posting in the email forum, people may give you hints on how to use spamcop. Even in english, reading the FAQ can be confusing.

Miss Betsy

Miss Betsy you act as an old Gunslinger and shooting on all moving targets.

I think that was a real insult in my culture.

To not leave you in a vision of ONLY a soft scared sensibel guy who can´t behave or cant read manuals beeing total helpless i give you little more information about me. I´m middleage, male, having two master degrees. I can see my bookshell keeping about 2 - 3 meters of manuals about computers programming and also netsecurity etc. I have read almost all pages in them. I can read 100 pages and get the concept within 20 min without any problem. I have been head of organisations ov 100 - 400 persons including defense organisations. I have seen bullet smashing inches from my belly and also have fought close to not be strangled.

I do lot´s of misstakes but i try not to expose any others when i do and i also don´t try to insu,lt anyone - still i´m a worried child besides a fully competent human.

Anyway i got to the conlusion of this topic

* Don´t hit the button if you have a e-mail sent to yourself from your own mailbox.

* Pick a hostingcompany who have an ethical soul and not a robots automatic heart

* Be careful when you hit the buttonand check twice (i need to check it 10 times)

* If you don´t have real problem with spam (you can close a mail-account) pick other easy solutions like mailwascher

* and ...... hmmmmmmmmm i fig it out later maybe.

Thx all for your input ! i needed tha´t help to get a feeling of what´s all was about and also get a little terapy session.

I am not quite sure what you considered insulting. And I said nothing about your culture nor made any personal remark whatsoever that I can see.

If you are going back to one of my first posts, I don't have a problem with people who don't use manuals (in the US, there is a saying, "If all else fails, read the manual."), but I don't expect them to do a lot of research in other areas either.

You have a good visit with your therapist!

Miss Betsy

Archived