Mail Not Coming Through

I forward. I find that it's better in that when this sort of thing happens I simply go to my ISP webmail and switch the forwarding to also keep a copy, until such time as they restore. That way I only miss a few at first, hopefully to see them later on when they eventually get processed by SC/Cesmail.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I think it depends on if you're having mail auto-forwarded to your CESMail address or having CESMail POP it from somewhere else. I do the former, and I think I received everything eventually, but in the other thread, Sten, who uses the "POP from elsewhere" method is apparently missing lots of mail:

DT

As of about 00:00 BST both POP'd and forwarded missing mail had arrived in my Inbox. up to 3 extra copies of POP mail from a list.

This problem seems to be recurring. I've received no mail at my Spamcop address in the last two hours (since around 8 AM EDT). I can see messages (including my own tests) arriving at their relay station, but when I log into my Spamcop webmail or POP my account, they're not there.

This problem seems to be recurring. I've received no mail at my Spamcop address in the last two hours (since around 8 AM EDT). I can see messages (including my own tests) arriving at their relay station, but when I log into my Spamcop webmail or POP my account, they're not there.

I lost email on the last outage. It appears that I am not getting email today.

Looking into filing a formal complaint with the consumer protection agency in my state against Cesmail.net

Yes, I see about five items in my "backup" mailbox (on my own server) that haven't shown up in my spamcop.net account yet. I'll file another "Problem" report via webmail and tweet as well.

DT

I removed the "resolved" flag.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Mail is not coming through to my spamcop account. I checked for copies on another account and they are there. Are you having problems again? :(

I lost email on the last outage. It appears that I am not getting email today.

Looking into filing a formal complaint with the consumer protection agency in my state against Cesmail.net

I am now slowly migrating away from using spamcop.net, I've just about had it with this service . I suggest people do the following:

1) Ask for a full refund of payment immediately, before it's to late

2) Stop using Spamcop reporting, the service doesn't work right and is ineffective

3) File a complaint with your consumer protection agency in your state, and or B.B.B.

4) Don't refer the site to anyone

5) Don't forward anymore emails to cesmail.net

Mail is not coming through to my spamcop account. I checked for copies on another account and they are there. Are you having problems again? :(

Yes, the SpamCop Email System if FUBAR again. No email has been processed for the last 5 hours. After over 36 hours of silence, [at]Cesmail_status posted the following a few minutes ago:

System outage. We are onsite. No firm ETA at this time.

Another 24+ hour outage.

That is not what it says at all. It says : System outage. We are onsite. No firm ETA at this time.

I also don't agree with your earlier statement that the spam filtering service is ineffective. I find it 100% effective, that's why I stay faithful to them. Obviously you need to research settings.

That is not what it says at all. It says : System outage. We are onsite. No firm ETA at this time.

He's either speculating on our immediate future, or pointing out that this is part of a larger outage that's now going into its third day. Let's not quibble amongst ourselves. :-)

DT

I think a little "venting" is probably a healthy thing. Goodness knows, CESMail deserves it. I brought them out on Twitter by posting "WTF!" at them. (of course, that's probably NOT what got them to post something after over 36 hours of silence, but thinking so is therapeutic) :-)

DT

Well I agree there. But as anything that can break down will do so, guaranteed, I usually forgive and forget. I realise that many businesses use the service though and that must be hell for them, especially if they have it set to be popped rather than forwarding to SC. I forward so can always turn that off at my ISP's webmail and read the mail there.

<snip>

2) Stop using Spamcop reporting, the service doesn't work right and is ineffective

<snip>

4) Don't refer the site to anyone

<snip>

...It is as effective as I expect it to be, as far as I know, and I continue to recommend the SpamCop Reporting capability to others. What I expect it to do is to find the spam source, look for an abuse address to which to send a report, send a report to the abuse address unless it has reason to not do so, send reports to other agencies to which I elect to send reports and use my reports to feed the statistics that determine whether to include the spam source in the SpamCop blacklist. I don't expect it to stop spam, reliably find an abuse address for spamvertized links or solve world hunger. :) <g>

Seen on the news page:

May 2, 2014: [16:08 EDT]
We are acquiring new hardware to replace failing harware

New mail is beginning to flow into my SpamCop mailbox. With a few random exceptions, most anything received between 8 AM and 5 PM EDT has not yet shown up.

...It is as effective as I expect it to be, as far as I know, and I continue to recommend the SpamCop Reporting capability to others. What I expect it to do is to find the spam source, look for an abuse address to which to send a report, send a report to the abuse address unless it has reason to not do so, send reports to other agencies to which I elect to send reports and use my reports to feed the statistics that determine whether to include the spam source in the SpamCop blacklist. I don't expect it to stop spam, reliably find an abuse address for spamvertized links or solve world hunger. :) <g>

How effective are those spamcop reports?

I send email complaints via my email account, and here's my opinion

01) Email to abuse contacts bounce

02) Complaints are not read

03) No abuse contacts

04) Complaint gets read , nothing is done

05) Complaints to abuse contacts get blocked because they are labeled "spam"

06) Sending complaints to down stream internet provider does nothing

07) China , sending complaints is a waste of time

08) Complaints falsely labeled as malware

09) Finding email contacts on website or WHOIS record bounce

10) Email comes back saying you have been blacklisted or don't have authorization to send.

How effective are those spamcop reports?...

This off-topic here.

Enough to say the reporting system is uniquely 'rapid response', catching the rising edge of spam spews - reported IP addresses are candidates for the SCbl and courtesy advices to network abuse handlers are for the benefit of responsive networks (very pertinent in these days of inadvertently-hosted zombie servers). Other RBLs and anti-spam efforts address the 'dyed in the wool' spam operators and supplement/take over where SC response leaves off. Consult, if you want perspective, the SC stats (http://www.spamcop.net/spamstats.shtml) and/or continue debate, if you wish, in a relevant area - http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14090 and http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14095 are two relevant recent topics IMO.

<snip>

01) Email to abuse contacts bounce

...Some do, some don't. There's nothing SpamCop can do about that. The ones that don't bounce are potentially useful; their value depends on the what is done with them by the staff looking at them.
02) Complaints are not read
...Some clearly are because occasionally some of us receive a return contact that does not appear to be an automated reply. However, there is no way we can know whether any particular complaint is being read.
03) No abuse contacts
...That's pretty rare, in my experience. Again, something about which SpamCop can do nothing.
04) Complaint gets read , nothing is done
...See my replies to #1 and #2.
05) Complaints to abuse contacts get blocked because they are labeled "spam"
...Complain to your ISP and/ or e-mail provider!
06) Sending complaints to down stream internet provider does nothing
07) China , sending complaints is a waste of time
08) Complaints falsely labeled as malware
...See my reply to #5.
<snip>

10) Email comes back saying you have been blacklisted or don't have authorization to send.

...Who is telling you that? It sounds as if it's your ISP or e-mail provider....

This off-topic here.

<snip>

...There's a good argument for that but I'm afraid your objection is too late, Steve -- it should have been raised back at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...t&pid=88454. Of course, if you wish to move the offending posts, that would be fine!

Getting back to the original topic.........mail isn't coming through again. The last email I received was at 8am on May 9th. I looked at my pop servers and they aren't reporting any errors.

Getting back to the original topic.........mail isn't coming through again. The last email I received was at 8am on May 9th. I looked at my pop servers and they aren't reporting any errors.

Everything's fine here. Checked with your ISP?

I have multiple accounts. One is not popping. I submitted a support ticket but doubt it will get looked at until Monday. So it's just not you. This service has turned into an unreliable piece of garbage. Is anyone awake at CESMail?

And my account is the same. No popping since 8am Friday.

Archived