Issue delivering mail to user mailboxes

This particular outage is more selective than other recent outages, in that the webmail server is still working, as is also the MX server responsible for initially accepting the messages (mx.spamcop.net aka mxin2.cesmail.net). However, I just tried a "fakemail" SMTP session and when I hit the final "." to close the message, the server responded with:

451 connection to mail server timed out (#4.4.1)

That would appear to indicate that the MX server can't reach the mail server(s) (the "filter" servers, such as "filter8.cesmail.net")

DT

We are investigating an issue delivering mail to user mailboxes.

I pay less money for a another online email service , and haven't had any issues with that site for close to twos years now. You continue to say you are fixing problems, are You?

I can't have the loss of email like this because you have decided not properly prevent these things from happening on a monthly basis. Are we going to have another issue next month and another one after that. When do people get fed up and start complaining to state agencies because clearly you don't have the customers best interest in mind here

NOT HAPPY !

You don't actually expect answers for a service you pay for, do you?

Yes I do! This is going to turn into another 24 hour outage , with no explanation, just the same crap about fixing the same issues yet again. It's been like this for years now.

It's always use other people to explain why the service is so bad when problems happen

As of approx 5PM EDT mail started to be delivered to user mailboxes. It will take several hours for the system to completely work through the backlog. Thanks for your patience.

As of approx 5PM EDT mail started to be delivered to user mailboxes. It will take several hours for the system to completely work through the backlog. Thanks for your patience.

~~~Update ~~~

The box that failed has proven to be unreliable and we are on site reconfiguring the system.

I started receiving email for about two hours and then it stopped completely. The whole service is extremely bad

~~~Update ~~~

The box that failed has proven to be unreliable and we are on site reconfiguring the system.

It's the same box you've been using for the last ten years now, that's why the service is so bad. Does it still run Windows 2000?

CESMail/spamcop, you owe it to the users to explain the massive amount of outages over the last couple months. You can't leave the customers in the dark. Why has the service been so unreliable? Most servers should be shooting toward 3 or 4 9s and I don't believe you even have 1 9. What is going on?

The reason why I use Spamcop e-mail is for the spam reporting features. I can certainly set up spam filtering on my own domain name servers.

I have my e-mail forwarded to my Spamcop address, which was a bad thing today. My e-mail server started disallowing all e-mails in and out because Spamcop was bouncing all e-mails back to my server. So I've stopped forwarding my e-mail to my Spamcop address.

What I need at this point are reasons to use Spamcop's e-mail & reporting services.

1. The e-mail service is unreliable, with no indication that it will get any better.
  2. I question whether the reporting service does any good anymore. What percentage of sys admins pay attention to Spamcop reports any more?
  3. The "Announcements" links in the Spamcop forum home are no longer updated.

What I need at this point are reasons to use Spamcop's e-mail & reporting services.

I can't think of any reasons to continue paying for totally unreliable email service, and as for the reporting, they rely almost exclusively on (often bogus) spam trap hits. I imagine that Don will eventually show up (he hasn't logged in for over a week) and try to debunk that, but it's what I have seen after a LOT of analysis and direct experience. Perhaps you all have noticed that this place has turned into almost a virtual ghost town? There are reasons for that.

DT

<snip>

I imagine that Don will eventually show up (he hasn't logged in for over a week)

<snip>

...Oops, I guess you missed this post in Forum Topic "Should I just forget reporting spam?"! :) <g>

<snip>

3 The "Announcements" links in the Spamcop forum home are no longer updated.

...Sorry about that! I did the most recent few (yes, quite some time ago!) but haven't since because:
  • It's not easy to do.
  • Our fellow users have been doing a pretty good job of posting new or updating existing topics that seem to me to pretty much serve the same purpose.

I might file a complaint with the consumer protection agency in my state along with the B.B.B. against CESMAIL and Cisco (who owns the spamcop.net domain name) for allowing the service to have yet another 24 hour outage. If a 24 hour outage happened at Gmail , Outlook.com or Yahoo email , their would be mass outrage and major news coverage. That would be over a free email service.

We pay to use this email service , why are more people complaining to government agencies ?

~~~Update ~~~

I've been receiving recent email, but messages retreived by CESmail from my POP accounts between 3am Apr 30 and 3am May 1 are missing. When will they be delivered? As they were successfully delivered to the POP server, they will not be resent by the source in response to a bounce.

I've been receiving recent email, but messages retreived by CESmail from my POP accounts between 3am Apr 30 and 3am May 1 are missing. When will they be delivered? As they were successfully delivered to the POP server, they will not be resent by the source in response to a bounce.

Good question, but instead of asking it here, where it's unlikely that the person who knows will answer, I'd suggest you log into the webmail, click on the "Problem" button and submit this to Email Support. I'm getting the sense that many customers have left CESMail after this most recent outage and that fewer and fewer people are bothering to participate here because they have had enough.

DT

I'm getting the sense that many customers have left CESMail after this most recent outage and that fewer and fewer people are bothering to participate here because they have had enough.

DT

David is right on the nose, as usual.

The trouble is, it's such an excellent service. But knowing that I would hope they don't just sit back and rely on that to keep "the faithful" or recruit more.

Personally I have used it for years and years without any real problems apart from the recent series of outages.

It seems to me that communication of the problems and progress thereon is a point that could be improved upon.

It should also be a requirement that everyone maintaining the service uses it, thereby giving them the impetus to act faster. There always seems to be a gap of several hours before any sort of reaction becomes evident to us customers.

Anyway, I'm glad my service is back.

David is right on the nose, as usual.

I am filing a complaint with my state attorney's office against Cesmail.net. I have had enough

If Jeff doesn't want to answer to the people who pay, then let him explain why his continues to offer a substandard service to a state government agency

Messages stopped arriving over three hours ago in both my CESMail accounts--looks like the same problem is back again. There's also someone on Twitter reporting the same thing as well as someone in the other thread. I filed a "Problem" report via webmail and hope someone in Georgia is aware that the system has broken down AGAIN!!!!!

DT

Good question, but instead of asking it here, where it's unlikely that the person who knows will answer, I'd suggest you log into the webmail, click on the "Problem" button and submit this to Email Support.

I'm in the same boat as Sten; and I did precisely that yesterday.

So far: silence.

I'm getting the sense that many customers have left CESMail after this most recent outage and that fewer and fewer people are bothering to participate here because they have had enough.

I am no longer convinced that the customers of this service are perceived as anything other than an annoyance.

I feel like I'm in a dysfunctional relationship where the other party doesn't have the courage to break it off; so instead behaves like an ass until I'm forced to terminate the relationship.

And now, today, more missing e-mail.

I'm wondering if CESmail is under some contractual obligation to keep this service "alive" (such as it is).

Maybe it's just time to pack it in.

Messages stopped arriving over three hours ago in both my CESMail accounts--looks like the same problem is back again. There's also someone on Twitter reporting the same thing as well as someone in the other thread. I filed a "Problem" report via webmail and hope someone in Georgia is aware that the system has broken down AGAIN!!!!!

DT

I am having the same problem. What is going on? :(

Archived