Lost mail

CESmail claims no mail has been/will be lost, but the last two messages I received before the system went down again were sent Wed, 30 Apr ~12:21 -0700 and not delivered until 2 May ~19:07 -0700, nearly three days.

CESmail claims no mail has been/will be lost, but the last two messages I received before the system went down again were sent Wed, 30 Apr ~12:21 -0700 and not delivered until 2 May ~19:07 -0700, nearly three days.

But wait, if they were delivered, then they're no longer lost, correct? Assuming that you're using the "forward to CESMail mailbox" technique, this is a normal consequence of the type of outage that started three days ago--because external MTAs have various policies about how often they retry when encountering an initial 400-level delivery error, and 72 hours is a normal setting, IIUC.

DT

You are correct, I admit that I chose a provocative subject line.

That said, the messages were "lost" until they were delivered. And with the system down again, who knows how many days it will take to "find" more? It may have been something in the pipeline that created a perfect storm for the most recent outage. Or, as was suggested in another thread, perhaps this was merely the continuation of one prolonged outage.

But wait, if they were delivered, then they're no longer lost, correct?

I still have 24 hours of email missing.
Assuming that you're using the "forward to CESMail mailbox" technique, this is a normal consequence of the type of outage that started three days ago--because external MTAs have various policies about how often they retry
I don't - I have CESmail retreive it using POP, so I doubt the original servers will retry. SpamCop certainly did not - it flagged reports as bouncing, and disabled my account.

I still have 24 hours of email missing.I don't - I have CESmail retreive it using POP, so I doubt the original servers will retry. SpamCop certainly did not - it flagged reports as bouncing, and disabled my account.

What are you saying ?

Unless the accounts that you are POPing overflow or CQmail POPs emails then loses them who needs to retry ?

Got duplicates and triplicates but nothing lost as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you saying ?

Unless the accounts that you are POPing overflow or CQmail POPs emails then loses them who needs to retry ?

One of the accounts deletes the messages once they are POPped. Since CESmail did not deliver them after POPping, about 24 hours of messages (about 10/hour) were lost. Another account retains the messages, but does not provide a way to rePOP messages from a specified date, so I had to enable rePOPping over a year of messages in order to have the 24 hours of missing messages scanned.

Archived