Fri - Outage

We are acquiring new hardware to replace failing hardware.

I apologize for not posting sooner but I was not in a location where I was able to do that.

New hardware is installed and mail is being delivered.

The system is working through the backlog.

The inbound mail server was issuing 4.x.x responses to sending servers when it's queues filled up. This is a *standard* SMTP response when a receiving server cannot receive mail and asks the sending sever(s) to retry later. Sending servers which are RFC compliant will retry and will continue to retry for (usually) up to 3 days. Thusly you will see new mail and older mail arriving over the next few hours as we work thru the queues and as sending servers retry in response to previous 4.x.x responses.

The inbound mail server was issuing 4.x.x responses to sending servers when it's queues filled up. This is a *standard* SMTP response when a receiving server cannot receive mail and asks the sending sever(s) to retry later. Sending servers which are RFC compliant will retry and will continue to retry for (usually) up to 3 days. Thusly you will see new mail and older mail arriving over the next few hours as we work thru the queues and as sending servers retry in response to previous 4.x.x responses.

Yes, but what about Sten and others who have their CESMail account configured to POP their external account(s)? It appears that the POP process continued during this week's outages, but that the internal relays through the filtering server(s) couldn't happen, so they might have suffered permanent loss of hours worth of email. Can you address that?

DT

We are acquiring new hardware to replace failing hardware.

I apologize for not posting sooner but I was not in a location where I was able to do that.

Yah ! we are getting new hardware after more then one failure. I think cesmail has been using the same server equipment since 2000. :o

At least they are trying and finally communicating about the issues

Archived