Community Builder - Joomopolis

ibanez0r

Hey guys, greetings from Melbourne, Australia, my name is Cameron James im a web developer, and well.. to cut a long story short my boss asked me to install Community Builder for him, its a CMS addon for Joomla! Anyway i did this, and then the boss wanted some customization done, which i begun doing, ill just say at this point Community Builder is a free product there is no charge associated with it!

I quickly discovered the lack of documentation, almost like it was excluded from the package, so i sent the owner of Joomopolis a mail asking him about it.

quote "Hey nick, all I wanted was some documentation, which I noticed is not available to non subscribers :( this Is a mean trick u guys use to build sales! So I cant test to see if your product will in fact be suitable, so I guess CB I will advise my boss not to use it. *disheartend"

Nick sent me back a rather rude obnoxious email which i wont paste here, i went to reply to it and recieved the following error:

Reporting-MTA: dns;BLU004-OMC1S10.hotmail.com

Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU404-EAS126

Arrival-Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 06:18:19 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;nant[at]joomlapolis.com

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [65.55.116.21] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?65.55.116.21

Is this usual for your clients to add people to your block lists for simply asking for customer support?

Sorry to hear about your problem. Several things to consider in this situation:

1. Free software ~ some times you get what you pay for, meaning price and quality my be related.

2. Good software documentation is expensive and hard to develop. Often good programmers are not as good at explaining to others (in writing) how the software works. At any rate a company has the right to distribute their software and/or documentation as they please.

"Hey nick, all I wanted was some documentation, which I noticed is not available to non subscribers :( this Is a mean trick u guys use to build sales! So I cant test to see if your product will in fact be suitable, so I guess CB I will advise my boss not to use it. *disheartend"

Not sure how I would have responded to that insulting request for assistance.

4. It has been noted in this forum several times that not all return codes tell the whole truth, and imply that SpamCop BL is the cause for being blocked when there may be any number of other reasons.

Is this usual for your clients to add people to your block lists for simply asking for customer support?

Many email blocking applications include the capability for managers to "white list" or "black list" individual sources. Given the tone of #3 above, this company may have added you to their local black list. This has nothing to do spamcop.net and affects only the one destination.

I suspect you are the victim of a coincidence.

I followed the link in your post and found that the client 65.55.116.21 is a hotmail outgoing mail host. If you are using a hotmail address, or a domain that uses Hotmail services, then this will make sense.

What Spamcop has blocklisted is not you personally, but the hotmail host that tried to deliver the mail on your behalf.

There are of course zillions of hotmail users who share the same set of outgoing mail hosts, and this now likely includes you. Some of them, apparently, have been trying to send mail to "secret" spam trap addresses maintained by SpamCop, and this seems to be a speedy shortcut to getting that address listed in SpamCop's block list (i.e., no one but a spammer has any reason to try communicating with an unknown, unused address). I suspect that these entries disappear automatically if there is no further abuse, but they likely get replaced by other Hotmail hosts.

For your rude correspondent to have engineered this state of affairs just to avoid hearing from you seems pretty far fetched.

You might try sending the message again from the same address, or using another (non-hotmail) address you might have. Or, you might wait to see whether the condition clears after a couple of days or so.

-- rick

Hey guys, greetings from Melbourne, Australia, my name is Cameron James im a web developer, and well.. to cut a long story short my boss asked me to install Community Builder for him, its a CMS addon for Joomla! Anyway i did this, and then the boss wanted some customization done, which i begun doing, ill just say at this point Community Builder is a free product there is no charge associated with it!

I quickly discovered the lack of documentation, almost like it was excluded from the package, so i sent the owner of Joomopolis a mail asking him about it.

quote "Hey nick, all I wanted was some documentation, which I noticed is not available to non subscribers :( this Is a mean trick u guys use to build sales! So I cant test to see if your product will in fact be suitable, so I guess CB I will advise my boss not to use it. *disheartend"

Nick sent me back a rather rude obnoxious email which i wont paste here, i went to reply to it and recieved the following error:

Reporting-MTA: dns;BLU004-OMC1S10.hotmail.com

Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU404-EAS126

Arrival-Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 06:18:19 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;nant[at]joomlapolis.com

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [65.55.116.21] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?65.55.116.21

Hai Cameron, +1 on what Rick says. SenderBase.org lists some 480 VERY high-volume severs for hotmail.com currently monitored, of which it looks like some 20-30% are on the SCbl at any given time. They usually don't stay there long (65.55.116.21 has now timed off, for instance), the SCbl looks at internet-facing IP addresses only and may discount time listed for high ham-to-spam ratios - in the absence of further spamtrap hits.

Accordingly, the odds are good (but of course never certain) that if you re-try (immediately even) you might be routed through a server that is not currently on the bl. The suggestion to try another service is a good one. Even with 80% chance of success on each trial you can still jag a lengthy series of failures (which would be nature's way of telling you to avoid two-up games ;) ).

It is NOT recommended that receiving Admins should block using the SCbl - but of course they call the shots on their own networks. Sorry about your troubles.

Archived