Scott the spammer Richter

Merlyn

To IronPort:

If you want me to go through our server logs for the last year for crap that was never requested from Snotty Scotty Richter I would be willing to give you anything you need and testify for you.

You know my email address..............

Certainly I'll help if I'm able... we keep all spam reports (with the source code of each spam) for a year.

Just let me know via this forum what spams to look for.

I'm in pretty regular contact with the FTC, so if you like, I can ask them to put additional pressure on Snotty Scotty. They've been pretty receptive to my ideas for going after spammers, so far (allowing them access to JackPot logs, going after a Florida spammer, etc.), so I'm sure they'd love to hook one of the biggest fish in the pond.

Perhaps we can bring so much pressure to bear on Snotty Scotty that he'll be out of business before any major court battles commence.

Bring it on, Richter, like I've said in other posts, the spam war (and it is a war) is a war of attrition... and there are more of us than there are of you. And I'm meaner than 10 junkyard dogs. Once I get my jaws into you, I'll never let go. You can't win.

In fact, if Richter goes forward with this case against SpamCop, I'll dig out all our Richter spam, submit it along with a deposition to the FTC, and take the case to court with the FTC's help. I urge all the rest of you to join me in a class action lawsuit against Scott Richter. What the hell, the FTC pays for it.

Class action sounds good, how about starting a petition for FTC and gathering signitures, a petition can be send out as chain mail to reach people quickly and feed to a website. Where do I sign the dotted line?

<snip>

In fact, if Richter goes forward with this case against SpamCop, I'll dig out all our Richter spam, submit it along with a deposition to the FTC, and take the case to court with the FTC's help. I urge all the rest of you to join me in a class action lawsuit against Scott Richter. What the hell, the FTC pays for it.

...Count me in!

...By the way, how do I as a mere user (not an admin) tell if I've received a spam from Richter?

<snip>

...Count me in!

...By the way, how do I as a mere user (not an admin) tell if I've received a spam from Richter?

If you saved your spam you would have to either manually search it or get a program to search for all of his links.

<snip>

...Count me in!

If you saved your spam you would have to either manually search it or get a program to search for all of his links.

...Thanks, Merlin but that isn't quite what I need to know (I should have been more precise in my original question). How do I know what to search for ("all of his links")?

<snip>

...Count me in!

...Thanks, Merlin but that isn't quite what I need to know (I should have been more precise in my original question). How do I know what to search for ("all of his links")?

The scan program will have to check the link against their IP's. Yes it is not easy.

There are also many of his sitenames posted in Spamhaus also that you could search for manually.

What I want is a filter I can select, that checks everything in Held Mail for relevance to this lawsuit, lets me sort it to a separate collection, and then review it.

I have, in this case, no reluctance to send un-munged email complaining -- I just want to be sure that it's going to be tracked somehow so the lawyers can refer to it when checking later spam complaints -- "didn't I unsubscribe from this and protest that I never signed up for it, already? Yes, see here, I did -- and more spam came in ..."

Tools, we need tools.

I'd given up sending reports at all except as a mole, a month or so ago, when Spamcop pointed out it was clear that the spammers were able to figure out who sent the email anyhow by hiding codes.

Hmmmm, but Richter claims he is being prevented by the munging from listwashing. Dubious but unprovable I suppose.

So far as I know, I've received very little spam from the Richter "empire" in the past but now have a couple that arrived over the past couple of days. These are from 69.42.110.126 and 69.42.97.126 which, according to SpamCop have abuse reporting addresses of abuse[at]above.net, abuse[at]optigate.net, abuse[at]wcg.net which, from what I've seen elsewhere, is Richter. Needless to say I'm keeping these for further reference if required - especially since there appears to be no clear opt-out link. There are links but whatever function they are intended for is presumably mentioned in the external graphics (and who is going to open them?). Now *that* has to be a breach of Can-spam, surely? Not to mention that I've ever opted in or even visited any of their sites. Car repair and mortgage quotes in the USA are of singularly little use to an Australian resident. Keep 'em coming Scotty! I may not have much to offer against the thousands of Richter spam amassed by others but the circumstance of overseas spamming has to be significant in terms of clearly demonstrating a common spammer's behaviour which is at variance with that Richter claims to show.

When I get spam that pretends to be can-spam compliant, I list the specific violations of the can-spam act that it is doing.

Specifically when the only way they could have aquired the e-mail address that was spammed was from harvesting the internet, or if there was anything deceptive in the header, or if the required contact information was not plainly visible.

If you do a google search for sightings of the domains mentined in the Richter filings, at least one of them shows up with spam being sent what apparently looks like an open relay. And some of them are now listed in open relay DNSbls.

Even if the sender had permission, sending it though such a server should be considered using deceptive message headers or routing.

If a log file from one of the open relays could be entered into evidence in any of the court procedings, it would prove where the spam came from. If a pattern was shown of them coming from I.P. addresses assigned to

I would expect that if needed Ironport could get a subpoena for those logs.

It is quite possible that a search of the spamcop.net database would show reports being sent to the source domains because the relays were not known to be open at the time of the spamcop.net parse, giving targets for obtaining log files.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Archived