Update: Outage

We are waiting on parts and the system will be down until late tomorrow afternoon.

You just ruined my week guys, thanks. How do you run your business model when you continue to lose customers month after month?

You can't tell people the truth something that goes like " at around 9:20 AM EST, one of our main incoming email server had a hard drive or CPU failure which caused the incoming mail not sent to users accounts" That's not asking for much , just more details .

Waiting for parts is not making me very happy. You do realize that when your equipment finally does work, that I will have to deal with huge amounts of email which I don't look forward to.

Come next year, maybe sooner, I am going to be history. You can get all the parts you want but that won't do much of anything when you don't have any customer base.

We are waiting on parts and the system will be down until late tomorrow afternoon.

Good Gravy! Waiting for parts?!? Nope, nope, nope. It's just unacceptable to have this many failures in the last year whilst always "waiting for parts" or other such nonsense.

What is the comparable spam service that is able to remain functioning that everyone is moving to?

<snip>

What is the comparable spam service that is able to remain functioning that everyone is moving to?

...Please do not discuss the specifics of competitors of CES (who also provide the SpamCop Forum) here. Thank you for your consideration.

...Please do not discuss the specifics of competitors of CES (who also provide the SpamCop Forum) here. Thank you for your consideration.

Why , if cesmail worked correctly then users wouldn't talk about alternatives. I don't see any real transparency of telling people the whole truth in what's real going on. Do you expect people to continue to use the service , pay the $30 each year and then allow the excuses of the ongoing problems? Something is just not right here, because if Gmail told user " the whole email service was down and we are waiting for parts", their would be total outrage with mass media coverage.

Please tell people the whole truth here. We deserve the truth

I do expect a answer.

Sorry, but CES needs to treat its customers with consideration if it wants considerate treatment in return. The shoddy maintenance and poor communication that CES has provided throughout 2014 is not considerate.

Sorry, but CES needs to treat its customers with consideration if it wants considerate treatment in return. The shoddy maintenance and poor communication that CES has provided throughout 2014 is not considerate.

I agree with you 100 percent. Mega in New Zealand is going to offer a secure email service soon . Their online storage site is awesome !!!

I often wonder if Cesmail would hand over people's email content to the NSA. You never hear them mention anything about this.

...The e-mail service and the SpamCop Forum are both provided by CES and I am not going to risk losing the very valuable latter just because there are problems with the former. Everything you both say is true but does not warrant using CES's no-charge Forum service as a wedge to discuss specifics about competitors of its money-making enterprise (that in part defrays the cost of the Forum). This is not merely considerate treatment, this is the rule that we (volunteer, independent [not employees or shareholders of CES]) Forum Moderators have decided we shall enforce.

<snip>

Please tell people the whole truth here. We deserve the truth

<snip>

...For what it's worth, I fully agree but I have no reason to believe that CES is being anything less than truthful, however shoddy the server maintenance and poor the communication may be believed to be.

...The e-mail service and the SpamCop Forum are both provided by CES and I am not going to risk losing the very valuable latter just because there are problems with the former. Everything you both say is true but does not warrant using CES's no-charge Forum service as a wedge to discuss specifics about competitors of its money-making enterprise (that in part defrays the cost of the Forum). This is not merely considerate treatment, this is the rule that we (volunteer, independent [not employees or shareholders of CES]) Forum Moderators have decided we shall enforce....For what it's worth, I fully agree but I have no reason to believe that CES is being anything less than truthful, however shoddy the server maintenance and poor the communication may be believed to be.

Fine so I guess the first amendment doesn't apply here. But if I file the right complaints , then their might not be any cesmail or forum left. So it's either allow some people to communicate and not alienate them away or keep the ones you have happy. It's your choice, because I strongly believe the end is getting close anyway. It's just a matter of time my friend

Fine so I guess the first amendment doesn't apply here.
...That is correct, it does not, because we Forum Moderators are not government officials ("Congress shall make no law..." Congress being interpreted by the US Supreme Court as meaning government in general, not just the US Congress).
But if I file the right complaints , then their might not be any cesmail or forum left. So it's either allow some people to communicate and not alienate them away or keep the ones you have happy. It's your choice, because I strongly believe the end is getting close anyway. It's just a matter of time my friend
...You seem to have me confused with CES. I am neither a SpamCop nor CES employee or agent, just a volunteer who helps look after the Forum.

So this reeks of another single point of failure. What the hell kind of shoddy operation is cesmail, that they continue to have single points of failures that require 24 hour plus outages. Why does Cisco put up with this since it makes them look like a shady operation?

AMATEURS!

Every high school computer club in America has redundant equipment.

"Waiting for parts!??

Bwahahahahahaha! What's next: "My dog ate the installation manual..."

Seriously? I'm embarrassed for you, CESMAIL.

Fine so I guess the first amendment doesn't apply here.

Ummm... no, actually, it doesn't.

The First Amendment is about the relationship between citizens and government, and has nothing to do with non-government regulations on an online forum

Just a suggestion but in future would not be a tad more helpful to email your account holders to warn them of the forthcoming outage before it actually happens so they can make alternative arrangements for their emails if possible!

I pop my mail so was blissfully unaware anything was wrong until this morning when I wondered why I was not getting anything and logged on

I am now bypassing spamcop until its fixed, no thanks to the seemingly non existent customer service side of your business

PLEASE be a little more considerate in future!

At least this time the notice went up on the news page fairly promptly unlike last time.

It must be an odd part if one has to wait almost 2 days for it. But there is no point in swearing and cursing at SC/Cesmail, that wont get it fixed faster.

Those of you who forward mail, simply turn it off at your webmail and presto! Mail can be read there, minus the stuff that already got forwarded of course.

Those you you who pop, simply go in and turn that off. At least SC Mail settings are accessible unlike some previous outages.

There's even a huge blurb on the SC Reporting Page:

Mail System Outage

Corporate Email Services (CESmail) reports a catastrophic server failure taking the CESmail/SpamCop mail system down. The needed parts are not

available in Atlanta, delaying repair until Tuesday July 1. CESmail sincerely apologizes for the inconvenience caused everyone by this outage.

The good news is that it appears they may be able to fix this today.

To the previous poster, how could they know when an outage is about to occur? How could they mail you if mail is down?

To the previous poster, how could they know when an outage is about to occur? How could they mail you if mail is down?

Not the previous poster, but responding because I agree with him/her. I too have asked for advance email notice for planned outages, as I could have forwarded emails somewhere else before they became trapped within CESmail. This obviously implies you can retrieve said advance notice email, before the outage begins.

Planned outages yes, this wasn't planned as far as I can see. They have announced planned outages in the past, however never by email as far as I recall.

Come to think of it, very few concerns announce outages in that manner anyway.

Without mentioning anything specific or a direct competitor, I'll just mention that a couple of outages back, I went to my web host to stop forwarding email and I noticed that since I had set up spamcop (around a decade ago) my webhost had added anti-spam features including spam assassin, virus filtering, grey listing and black lists. I turned these on to the default level and it was more successful at blocking spam than spamcop has been in recent years. So, just a thought, you may already have a service at your web host or ISP and, like me, simply haven't noticed it.

Nothing as good as that at my ISP I'm afraid. I will remain faithful to SC as long as I can. Still the best IMHO.

In any case, just checked my Inbox at SC Mail and it's full of messages so it looks like they may have fixed the issue and are now in the process of catching up with the backlog.

Archived