SpamCop Email Service Changes

As I paid with Paypal I have just opened a dispute with them & if I do not get a reasonable answer I shall be requesting a refund. I If I do get a refund I still have 2 weeks to make contact details changes etc.

If this is all genuine it would be nice if the webmail providers can offer to migrate accounts to another provider.

D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I paid with Paypal I have just opened a dispute with them & if I do not get a reasonable answer I shall be requesting a refund. I If I do get a refund I still have 2 weeks to make contact details changes etc.

If this is all genuine it would be nice if the webmail providers can offer to migrate accounts to another provider.

D

I just renewed in July. Yes they could at least recommend an equivalent service that is reasonably priced. From a quick glance on the web most are quite expensive as they are geared mainly towards Corporate clients.

I know we shouldn't really be discussing competing services here but it would be nice if we could.

BTW I notice that new clients can still subscribe - those pages aren't taken down or reworded and they certainly should be.

At the end of the day you already have all the tools you need to migrate to another provider, so no matter what CESmail does you will still be okay. CESmail is still providing email forwarding, and you can use IMAP to copy all of your mail out to another system. :)

I know we shouldn't really be discussing competing services here but it would be nice if we could.

Good news: you can. We have permission from the mods, so I've gone ahead and started a thread. Edited by ViRGE

SpamCop will forward filtered email to an email account of your choice.
So I guess there will be no way to retrieve the filtered messages, you know, the ones that got filtered by mistake?

I could rant and rail about any number of things related to this, but topping the list is what has already been mentioned; what is the deal now? Is it $30 a year just for the forwarding? (rip off)
WELL, CES, WHAT'S THE ANSWER?!

It's inexcusable that these things were not addressed in the notice. For peat's sake, the existing, doomed email service is still offered on the spamcop site. - What the hell?

It is this sort of thing that shows Spamcop has been abandonware for ages. I also wonder about a Saturday evening email without any real names - no one wants to be attached to this!

I have had my account since 2004 or so, but bailed earlier this year after all of the terrible outages. I'm actually glad they made a decision to do something about how bad Spamcop has been recently :)

So I guess there will be no way to retrieve the filtered messages, you know, the ones that got filtered by mistake?

If you log on to http://mailsc.spamcop.net (same as your webmail log on - looks like no https) there is an option to see the held mail and forward those that are wrongly caught. Now the question who generates the emails about held emails as I rely on that to check incorrectly caught emails

If you log on to http://mailsc.spamcop.net (same as your webmail log on - looks like no https) there is an option to see the held mail and forward those that are wrongly caught. Now the question who generates the emails about held emails as I rely on that to check incorrectly caught emails

I guess that's true, assuming that option will remain, who knows as they haven't really explained?

If this is simply loss of POP and IMAP then that can be worked around, but I have a feeling it's more than that.

In which case I'll ask for a refund. I wrote to them saying they need to spell out for the layman exactly what is going to ha;pen, what stays and what will go etc.

Cautiously I'm fine with the change of removing the webmail system. My problem with the proposal is that the reporting is WAY better in the webmail system and viewing the "held email" is also much better in the webmail system. Can this be improved upon on the main spamcop page?

If this is simply loss of POP and IMAP then that can be worked around, but I have a feeling it's more than that.

As I already have a couple of web-host accounts set-up, but currently just forward domain emails to spamcop - I am setting up one to be my webmail (don't get much email on that domain so filtering not that important).

I'm wondering how this will affect the SpamCop block list?

AFAIK, the source for the SBL is a) mail caught by spam traps, B) submissions through the SpamCop reporting system, and c) other mail systems & ISPs had the option of contributing to the list.

Submissions to the reporting system come from a) SpamCop email subscribers who use the various methods of submitting spam (e.g. quick report from webmail, reporting held mail, etc.), B) Paid SpamCop reporting system subscribers who don't have SpamCop email, and c) users of the free reporting service.

When the email system goes away the number of those users who still report is likely to drop. How much no one knows. To 10%? 5%?

So the question is, what percentage of the total spam reports came from email subscribers? Is it a large portion? Or is it small compared to the spam traps and other reporting sources?

Having received notice about the impending service change, I have decided to stop using spamcop to read my emails for filtering. HOWEVER, I have looked and looked for an account option to tell spamcop to stop accessing my email, so I can get another provider to do it - I can't find such an option!!

Any ideas how to stop spamcop from accessing my email, and switch off their service?

Getting a subscription refund will be next.

Any ideas how to stop spamcop from accessing my email, and switch off their service?
SC must be POPing your email from another server unless you are forwarding to SC.

To turn off POP just go to webmail => Options => SpamCop Tools => Configure external POP servers, and delete whatever the POP entry is.

SC must be POPing your email from another server unless you are forwarding to SC.

To turn off POP just go to webmail => Options => SpamCop Tools => Configure external POP servers, and delete whatever the POP entry is.

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried that. The server I am popping from does not appear in that list to be deleted!

Then maybe you are forwarding mail to them instead, check your ISP or whomever's webmail settings.

Thank you - problem solved.

It is with great sadness I've terminated my use of spamcop - I've used them for many years for reporting. I need to do it nowbecause of the time it takes to 'train' other systems for white- and black-lists. I wish other providers would include a simple reporting facility. Maybe spamcop could make available their variations of Horde, perhaps tweaked to report via spamcop as I understand they will continue to handle reporting and blacklists.

From what I can gather and from what others have posted, the email filtering goes on without any change. Really all that is happening is their Inbox is disappearing, meaning you can no longer use it as an email client, only for checking what is going through. Then the output has to be forwarded somewhere in order to be read, not such a huge impact as I originally thought.

So the question is, what percentage of the total spam reports came from email subscribers? Is it a large portion? Or is it small compared to the spam traps and other reporting sources?

As far as any of us can tell, the CESmail user base is miniscule, which is part of the reason why the service has become non-viable. While I'm sure CESmail users are reporting and improving the blacklist, I would find it highly unlikely that we're a major source of spam reports. Otherwise Spamcop would never be seeing enough email to be an effective blacklist.

Functionally that's just another interface to our email accounts. Admittedly I'm reading into the announcement and taking the most literal/worst-case assumption, but it looks like they're getting rid of email hosting entirely. If they were still storing any of our email then shutting off the email service would be pointless since they'd still need to run all of the servers involved.

Though this does raise a an interesting question. Previous discussions and problems with the service have hinted that CESmail already has a large number of users who are using the service to wash their email (email forwarding), and that as a result the bulk of the servers are dedicated towards receiving and forwarding email rather than storing it. In other words, most of the service is the MXes and their associated hardware. So I'm curious as to just what portion of CESmail's ongoing costs from hosting, as getting rid of hosting and becoming a filter-only service may not make the service much cheaper to run (e.g. if they aren't discontinuing the service entirely, then it may still be $30/year and for good reason).

>- and neither of those things is VER [the "Held Email" tab].

My understanding is that the "Held Email" tab will still work when you are logged into your account at http://www.spamcop.net/.

- Don -

This is an appalling decision, taken with no regard for the users.

I have my email go to a normal POP3 account, which I used filtered email on spamcop.net to collect. I've just paid the renewal at the end of July for another year. None of my email goes direct to spamcop.net so email forwarding without the ability to specify a pop3 account to collect from is useless. In short I paid for a year and getting nothing now for my service.

This is nothing short of fraud.

I'd like a refund of the period after your terminating my services please. If you don't I will just make a paypal claim against you.

>- Will there still be a "held email" at SpamCop

I don't think so. Not sure.

Once this settles out, it looks to me like the Email Service will end up being an email forwarding and spam filtering service.

Hard to say. Too many details still to be worked out.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

B)-->

QUOTE(Darren B [at] Aug 10 2014, 08:03 PM) 89491[/snapback]

I have my email go to a normal POP3 account, which I used filtered email on spamcop.net to collect. I've just paid the renewal at the end of July for another year. None of my email goes direct to spamcop.net so email forwarding without the ability to specify a pop3 account to collect from is useless. In short I paid for a year and getting nothing now for my service.

I'd like a refund of the period after your terminating my services please. If you don't I will just make a paypal claim against you.

You can't obtain a refund through these forums. You'd have to write to Spamcop at service[at]cesmail.net

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darren B [at] Aug 10 2014, 08:03 PM) 89491[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

You can't obtain a refund through these forums. You'd have to write to Spamcop at service[at]cesmail.net

Somehow I think that would be a waste of time - given there lack of communication with there victims, I mean valued customers.

>- Will there still be a "held email" at SpamCop

My understanding is that you will still be able to use "held email" when you're logged into your account at http://www.spamcop.net/.

Once this settles out, it looks to me like the Email Service will end up being an email forwarding and spam filtering service.

Hard to say. Too many details still to be worked out.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- Service[at]Admin.SpamCop.net -

Don, email_support has just posted an announcement and it states:

4. VER/Held mail tab in the Reporting system - this will no longer work as the Held mail folder in your Spamcop email account will no longer exist.

That makes me wonder what happens to legit mail identified as spam? If that tab wont work then there wont be any way to clear it. Surely that's a mistake and he means only in the webmail client?

Edited by Ex_Brit