Migration Software?

When I started using SC, my ISP didn't even offer a webmail interface. Now they do, and their spam-handling is much better than it was when I began forwarding my email, so I may just go with them.

Coincidentally, my ISP (Concentric/XO) just started using a new, adaptive interface. Their webmail is even readable on my Android tablet.

But over the years, I've filed away hundreds of messages into SC subfolders. SC can export these into mbox files, and their contacts list can be exported into a csv file readable in Excel, but has anyone discovered software that can help open, sort, and edit mbox files for use in another webmail system? Even if I just keep them on my hard drive, I'd like to at least be able to search through them.

A Google search turns up dozens of 'free' solutions for viewing mbox or csv files , but so far they have proven limited (the search or print functions are only enabled in the 'pro' edition, $69 please).

The trial version of aid4mail and free-mbox-viewer are two I've looked at, but both are teasers for expensive but useable 'pro' versions. How are other SC survivors handling the transition?

You know, a curiously non-complex, super easy way that I used, avoids all the technical hoop jumping and gets the job done just fine.

I use eM Client, but I expect Thunderbird and others will do the same.

I just configured two IMAP accounts in the program, Spamcop, and %newProvider% (in my case GMail), and then just dragged'n'dropped emails from SC to GMail. A bit slow, but since GMail only allows for POP to another account, it was my most logical/efficient approach.

It sounds like some of the other paid services have better import functions directly, but I chose to go with GMail since I already had an account and use their calendar and contacts to sync to my Android devices; plus, I didn't see the value of throwing another actor into the mix.

Since I had 15 years of email in SpamCop, to be very safe and redundant, I made an archive snapshot to disk before the migration using "MailStore Home 8" (free). It seems to work well, and has export, import, view, and your standard CRUD logic.

OK, so MailStore Home looks ideal, but my settings must be wrong. Has anyone using their service figured out the settings they need to connect to CESmail? I thought the server name would be webmail.spamcop.net, but that value gets an error message for both IMAP and POP3 settings. MailStore doesn't seem to give you a webmail choice, nor do I see a way to upload the mbox files that SC exported to my PC. I didn't use the IMAP or POP3 protocols anyway: I've only ever used the HORDE webmail interface

Thank you very much. I figured out how to upload the mbox file from SC, but it had munged togetherinto one folder all the messages I'd filed away in all the folders over the years. Once I'd linked the Mailstore account with the SC/CES server, all my folders were maintained! It's taking an hour or so to transfer and process everything, but this promises to give me a local mirror of my 'digital pack rat' archives at SC/Webmail.

I may end up deleting most of it, but I'm no longer forced to do everything before September 30.

The connection was restored, and the operation was completed successfully. I now have a mirror image of my past mail folders, and a spreadsheet of my contacts. All that I'm losing are my mailing groups, which I'll have to reassemble in the form required by my new webmail provider.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived