Goodbye old friend

wa3kf

Well folks it's been a fun ride. Life will be weird without my spamcop email. I have moved to fastmail and backed up with mailstore to be safe. I guess all good things must come to an end, even all of us. Except for the last 6 months our so, service has been stellar. It's a shame it came to this. Take care fellow Cesmail users, an era is about to end. Last person out please shut down the servers!

Ken

Yes it's sad to see it go. I too have moved to Fastmail which now has to learn a lot by trial and error. Oh well at least life isn't boring.

I never used SC Mail as an actual email client but it was very useful for separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak, before the good stuff landed in my PC's Inbox.

Now I find that Fastmail can be a bit sketchy at assessing what is junk mail and what is not, despite my setting up their spam settings accordingly. A new learning curve at my stage of life isn't good but inevitable unfortunately.

I had hoped that I could still forward all my ISP mail to SC as before for filtering but with the Held mail folder vanishing tonight, there would be no way of marking something "Not spam' at http://www.spamcop.net/ any more so too risky. I'm going to have to rely on Fastmail. Until it's learned a few lessons I'm not pulling mail out into my PC automatically, but first checking their folders and marking stuff as spam before doing that. Inconvenient but I see no other way for the time being as they have no specific white or black lists. The only 'whitelist' is your address book.

This juist revised on the Spamcop Reporting pages:

Important Announcement:

The SpamCop Reporting Service is saddened by the news that Corporate Email Services

(CESmail) will cease operations on September 30, 2014. As the exclusive provider of email

service under the spamcop.net name, we have had a long standing business relationship

with CESmail, which enhanced the service we have provided since 1998.

SpamCop has worked with CESmail to ensure an orderly shutdown. To minimize impact to

SpamCop users, CESmail has provided instructions to their customers to change their account

options and provide a forwarding address prior to 5:00 pm EDT September 30, 2014. At that

time SpamCop will take over the mail forwarding and CESmail will permanently close their

operations. On the transition day, we will do our best to ensure the service migration to be

seamless, however please be informed that temporary service disruption may happen.

SpamCop will provide this mail forwarding service with no additional or future charge to our

users. Our commitment is to provide the forwarding service through 2015 and review the ongoing

need for this service annually each fall.

Should you wish to discontinue this forwarding or change the address mail is being forwarded

to, you will find a new tab on the SpamCop.net Reporting Service page when logged in allowing

you to do this.

It is important CESmail customers follow the instructions provided to set up forwarding. There

will be no rescuing email accounts, files or folders once we take over the forwarding service.

Those who have subscribed to the CESmail provided mail service have enjoyed enhanced

access to the SpamCop reporting service, including all features of a premium SpamCop reporting

account. This includes the ability to have standing addresses receive copies of SpamCop reports,

the option to add addresses to receive copies of SpamCop reports, the option to appeal issues to

SpamCop staff from directly within the reporting structure, and of course no nag screens when

reporting spam.

Anyone who has a CESmail account at the time of shutdown on September 30 will continue to

enjoy the premium access to the SpamCop reporting service indefinitely without additional or

future charge.

SpamCop is also pleased to announce that while the user support forums have been hosted by

CESmail, we will continue to keep the forums operational as the primary source for user support.

Peer to peer support has been an important part of keeping SpamCop as a free service.

To accommodate the changeover of the SpamCop Forums to our servers there will be a short

outage of the forums on Thursday, October 2 between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. PDT.

There has been speculation that the end of the SpamCop mail service is a sign of Cisco not

supporting SpamCop. Nothing could be further from the truth as Cisco remains completely

supportive of SpamCop and further commits to upcoming and ongoing enhancements to the

SpamCop reporting service.

Again, we must reiterate the importance that you follow the instructions you have received from

CESmail to set your mail forwarding options prior to the changeover in service at 5:00 p.m. EDT

this Tuesday, September 30, 2014.

[...]

I'm going to have to rely on Fastmail. Until it's learned a few lessons I'm not pulling mail out into my PC automatically, but first checking their folders and marking stuff as spam before doing that. Inconvenient but I see no other way for the time being as they have no specific white or black lists. The only 'whitelist' is your address book.

You can set up IF so-and-so move to spam if you like which should work for the simple personal blacklist

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/receive/rules.html

()Under organise).

Sad to see it go - it has been my email provider since Cesmail took over the spamcop email service (I'd been using spamcop filtering email before that when you paid for x mbytes).

I migrated most email to one of my web hosts last month - while the default webmail front end is flasher, I already miss some of the features (report as spam, filters).

Well it's an unceremonious end. But at least it's an end.

After the problems over the last 2 years, I'm just happy CESmail and Cisco found a way to wind things down. But in it's heyday it was a good service, and for that I will miss it.

You can set up IF so-and-so move to spam if you like which should work for the simple personal blacklist

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/receive/rules.html

()Under organise).

Yes, thanks. I have to look into that.

Sad to see it go - it has been my email provider since Cesmail took over the spamcop email service (I'd been using spamcop filtering email before that when you paid for x mbytes).

I migrated most email to one of my web hosts last month - while the default webmail front end is flasher, I already miss some of the features (report as spam, filters).

Good for you. It is sad to see such a good service go. Not sure if they ever gave a reason why?

Well it's an unceremonious end. But at least it's an end.

After the problems over the last 2 years, I'm just happy CESmail and Cisco found a way to wind things down. But in it's heyday it was a good service, and for that I will miss it.

The problems for me were minor but I could understand some angst for high-volume users.

Good for you. It is sad to see such a good service go. Not sure if they ever gave a reason why?

From the shutdown announcement they emailed out on Sat, 9 Aug 2014:

Nowadays, webmail service with spam filtering has become the norm in the general public. As such, the need for the webmail service with SpamCop filtered email has decreased.

Due to these reasons, we have decided to retire the SpamCop Email System and its webmail service

Archived