so, what, exactly, is happening to my spamcop.net address?

so, what, exactly, is happening to my spamcop.net address? i logged in to spamcop this morning, as i have for 10 years previously, and i was not greeted with the familiar "Held Mail" page... and when i clicked the tab, the "Held Mail" tab was missing entirely.

then i read the notice, and learned that CESmail is ceasing operations today...

i remember getting a notice from spamcop, a few months ago, about this, and i think i even set up a forwarding address, like they suggested, but i didn't think this was going to happen...

am i going to have to change email addresses, which i haven't done in more than a decade, or what?

Instead of a full email service, SpamCop email is now a forwarding service with spam filtering. As far as I know, the SpamCop reporting services are continuing to be offered as always, just not the email accounts.

To be sure you have a forwarding address set, go into preferences and click "Change Email address or name" option. Under "Forward mail to address" put whatever address you want to receive mail on. Note: That address must not forward to your SpamCop address, or your mail would just be going around in circles.

For example, you could have yourname[at]spamcop.net forward to yourname[at]example.com, but then be sure your email service on example.com is not set to forward mails to yourname at spamcop.net. I stress this point because some of us forward mails to SpamCop for filtering, in which case the address SpamCop forwards to needs to be a different address.

Held mail is gone. My understanding is the new filtering system will just delete spam.

No you don't have to change email addresses. If you set up forwarding, you can continue to receive mail on your SpamCop email address. As far as I know, the SMTP server is going away, so you would have to use another mail server to send mail. However, there are mail servers that will allow you to send mail that looks like it's from another address, which is what you would need if you still want your mail to look like it's from yourname[at]spamcop.net.

Held mail is gone. My understanding is the new filtering system will just delete spam.

so any false-positives received at spamcop.net (i.e. messages that appear to be spam, but really aren't) will automatically get deleted?

that's not good... :(

occasionally i get a false-positive... i have to mark it as "Forward and Whitelist Sender" before i actually receive it at my POP3 centurylink address (which nobody ever sees, because i have a spamcop.net address). i have used spamcop.net for 10 years, but if they're going to just delete anything that "appears to be spam" without allowing me to check, that may be enough to convince me to change my email address. seriously, it's a matter of getting a whole bunch of spam in order to weed out the false-positives, or have a few messages that are REALLY IMPORTANT get deleted by a system that won't let me weed out the false-positives...

if spamcop is just going to start deleting things that appear to be spam, it may be time for me to abandon spamcop...

i remember getting a notice from spamcop, a few months ago, about this, and i think i even set up a forwarding address, like they suggested, but i didn't think this was going to happen...

am i going to have to change email addresses, which i haven't done in more than a decade, or what?

I checked and it was FIFTY THREE DAYS (8/9/2014) ago that the reigning wizards at spamcop, or cesmail, or Cisco, or whoever the hell these people are now, informed us that we would need to set up forwarding. I am sure I said to myself, "Oh there's plenty of time to take care of that, and NO DOUBT THEY'LL SEND OUT ANOTHER NOTICE AS THE TIME DRAWS NIGH!"

They sent out no such additional notice. I can interpret that only as a supremely cynical tactic geared to dump as many users off the system as possible.

Hmmm. Curious, I never received that one, but my forwards were long since set.

Perhaps they didn't acquire a comprehensive list for that communique?

i'm more concerned about my false-positives being /dev/null'ed... i really need to know what's happening with these, because, while most of the messages that get labeled "spam" by SC really ARE spam, there have been enough occasions where a really important message from someone i know, who has made an unfortunate choice in email providers (or something like that), gets labeled "spam" and, if it weren't for the fact that i can scan held mail before reporting or deleting it, it would not get read at all. i really want to consider whether or not i want to continue using SC as my email address, if they are, in fact, going to blindly delete anything that gets filtered...

is there an administrator, or someone who actually knows what is going on, who can look into this and report back? i'd appreciate it... :huh:

The only one I got was Aug 9.

I am also very concerned by the wording of, "deleting anything that looks like spam." Ever since I tightened my Spamassassin to 2, I get a few false positives every coupla weeks. Probably somewhere in the vicinity of quarter of a percent. Not a huge number, but far too high to summarily discard.

Can we get some clarification on this? Is this *really* what's happening? I would be very surprised if an experienced group like Spamcop would actually do that.

The Golden Rule of Programming: Never Lose the User's Data

I'm not using a Spamcop email address. I do the forward-to-spamcop-which-filters-and-forwards-to-a-secret-email-account. I can never remember what nomenclature is used for that.

Drake Christensen

I'm not using a Spamcop email address. I do the forward-to-spamcop-which-filters-and-forwards-to-a-secret-email-account. I can never remember what nomenclature is used for that.

That /is/ using a Spamcop email address (for the forward) but since that's the only use you can change to forwarding direct to -a-secret-email-account with no problem.

salamandir, Mighty: Yes, false positives would be deleted along with accurately-identified spam. Posts 49 through 51 at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ystem&st=40 and posts 9 through 12 at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...putation+system give some information on the Cisco reputation system.

victory3x3: I didn't receive the second notice either.

You are right, salamandir, that there weren't many reminders.

I spent nearly a week changing email addresses everywhere to move me away from using my Spamcop address. Been using my Spamcop email address for 10+ years. I figure that forwarding my spamcop to somewhere else will be good for a year. After that you are SOL. So changing your email address with everyone should be a priority. I figure everywhere I have a password is a place that also has an email address on me. Even then, there were quite a 'password free' places I needed to update. It may still take a year to find stragglers.

After all this careful email address handling I've been up to.. I come across punk teenagers who decry such things as 'Who uses email anymore' Their world must be very small.

I figure that forwarding my spamcop to somewhere else will be good for a year. After that you are SOL.

I take it you have concluded their annual review next fall will determine there is no ongoing need for the forwarding?

SpamCop will provide this mail forwarding service with no additional or future charge to our users. Our commitment is to provide the forwarding service through 2015 and review the ongoing need for this service annually each fall.

You are right, salamandir, that there weren't many reminders.

there was one, which i paid enough attention to, to set up a forward... but it may be that it doesn't work, because i haven't received any mail for salamandir at spamcop.net in a couple days... :angry:

I spent nearly a week changing email addresses everywhere to move me away from using my Spamcop address. Been using my Spamcop email address for 10+ years. I figure that forwarding my spamcop to somewhere else will be good for a year. After that you are SOL. So changing your email address with everyone should be a priority. I figure everywhere I have a password is a place that also has an email address on me. Even then, there were quite a 'password free' places I needed to update. It may still take a year to find stragglers.

i, too, have been using spamcop for 10+ years... because there has been no other service like it. i signed up when i was a software tester at microsoft, and kept it through several job changes, a brain injury, and at least three different "real" email addresses, none of which anybody ever saw because of spamcop.

having to give it up, suddenly, with no apparent warning, will definitely be a shock that it will take a while to overcome.

and i hope that they get the forwarding worked out, because it appears as though it's not working as advertised... :angry:

<snip>

is there an administrator, or someone who actually knows what is going on, who can look into this and report back? i'd appreciate it... :huh:

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp You could try the SpamCop (Cisco) Deputies at e-mail address deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net.

I appreciate the links to the other threads. I can see that it appears to no longer use Spamassassin, which is what caused so many false positives, for me.

But, I am just not comfortable trusting an anti-spam system to never throw away a valid email. Mostly because, if it does, I'll never know about it. The vast majority of these testimonials that say, "I've never had a false positive with Cisco Reputation System." are mostly meaningless. Every attempt the other person makes to say, "Hey, did you get my email?" will probably also be deleted. So, the recipient will never find out about it.

I know that some anti-spam systems are very good. My dad tells me he has been using Norton's for a few years, and has stopped skimming the held mail. I don't know that he's *never* had a false positive, but apparently it's an extremely rare occurrence.

But I can't make myself do that. Not without being able to check up on it for the first 10,000 or so spams.

Drake Christensen

Archived