Forwards not working

I've had my forwards set up and working since the day after the announcement went out, August 10th, 2014.

Today:

1)

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<%mySpamCopAddress%>:

Remote host said:

550 5.1.1 <%mySpamCopAddress%>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

[RCPT_TO]

2) Logging into webmail.spamcop.net, a few hours before the official cut-off, to see what's up with my Forwarding settings, the option to set it up is:

A.) Removed

B.) No way to confirm that my setting was ever there and/or was blown out in the migration.

Now, I'm just fine with cut-over issues, and temp outages, but with #2 happening, I've got no way to tell if there is a larger problem at work, and all my mail will continue to bounce...indefinitely.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forward was working when I tested it a few minutes ago, so hopefully whatever you saw was temporary.

The new path for changing forwarding is on the reporting site: preferences -> "Change Email address or name" and then edit the address under "Forward mail to address"

Forward was working when I tested it a few minutes ago, so hopefully whatever you saw was temporary.

The new path for changing forwarding is on the reporting site: preferences -> "Change Email address or name" and then edit the address under "Forward mail to address"

Still bouncing for me, couple hours now, no joy.

I have gone to the new preferences on the reporting site, and my forwards are set up as desired (and inherited correctly from webmail.spamcop.net settings).

Same problem here. Fowarding was working until the transition today. Now I get this bounce message from Google and all other accounts I have tried:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

xxxxxx[at]cesmail.net

Technical details of permanent failure:

Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain cesmail.net by vmx5.spamcop.net. [184.94.240.124].

The error that the other server returned was:

550 5.1.1 <djporter[at]cesmail.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table"

The forwarding is not working for me either. It had been working since I set up the forwarding address a few weeks ago, but it stopped working this afternoon. I'm not getting bounces either.

Maybe they're still doing the switchover, and it's not going as smooth as planned.

My old cesmail address bounces so mine is not being forwarded either. It's a good job I redirected my ISP mail elsewhere. I tried the Problem button and don't think it works either. So I emailed SC Reporting help in the hope someone there will relay that there is an issue with the Cesmail switchover.

So...going on 8 hours with all my mail bouncing:

1) No news update

2) CESMail Twitter account no update

3) No official forum posts

4) Seems many others are having the same problem

To whom do we direct an inquiry for a status update?

Like I said above, any major infrastructure migration always has its issues, and I'm tolerant of that, but it has been quite a while, and with no official channel to update us on a resolution timeline.

Ah...at last.

News: (Last Modified: 9/30/2014 7:10:10 PM -0700) (Email-account news)

We have just become aware that there is an issue with the forwarding of some user mail.

Most forwarding is working as it should but there is a small number of accounts experiencing problems.

Our engineers are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. We apologize for the difficulties.

For what it's worth, as of late this evening all forwarding is working correctly for me. But I admittedly don't know if my account was one of the accounts that was previously affected by the virtual alias table issue.

For what it's worth, as of late this evening all forwarding is working correctly for me. But I admittedly don't know if my account was one of the accounts that was previously affected by the virtual alias table issue.

Everything OK here also no spam seen just legitimate email

Have had Gmail false positive send one email to "spam" folder

which can only be seem by Gmail web or Gmail IMAP

I had two CESMail email accounts, one [at]spamcop.net and one [at]cesmail.net (the second was my wife's). The one [at]spamcop.net is bouncing, like this:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[munged][at]spamcop.net>:

host vmx5.spamcop.net [184.94.240.124]: 550 5.1.1 <[munged][at]spamcop.net>:

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

I set up that forward several days ago and tested it, so this is due to errors since the cutover. The [at]cesmail.address forwarding is working. Unfortunately, CISCO is in San Bruno, California (near San Francisco), so their engineers appear to be still sleeping!

DT

I used the preferences page "Forward To" section and received and used the confirmation and got "Email delivery confirmed" acknowledgement when I clicked the link on the confirmation.

HOWEVER, no mail is going to gmail so far, only to the webmail which IS still working today, thank God! I have a spamcop.net address, FWIW.

Any further news?

Also, I tried going to the "News" page but got a "server down" error. Someone posted a "News" message earlier, where was that found?

Thanks,

David

They just fixed mine - forwards are now working for me, so they are obviously working through the accounts one by one.

My broken [at]spamcop.net forward was also just fixed. Rather than one-by-one, perhaps they just found the more global screwup and took care of it. I guess someone in San Bruno is awake after all (or perhaps their outsourced labor in Bangalore or wherever).

DT

Yesterday, my main address was bouncing with the same error everyone was getting. Today that is working but my "Plussed addresses" are still bouncing.

---

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<x+y[at]spamcop.net>:

Remote host said: 550 5.1.1 <x+y[at]spamcop.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table [RCPT_TO]

---

I've moved everything I can find to another email address, but I'm sure I have missed something after using an address for nearly 10 years. All accounts I created to spamcop were created with x+company[at]spamcop.net to determine how my address was getting on certain lists. It was useful and I have worked with a number of address buyers and sellers, mostly in those early days, to explain why what they were doing was wrong.

I need plussed addressing to work or there is effectively no forwarding for me.

Also, I tried going to the "News" page but got a "server down" error. Someone posted a "News" message earlier, where was that found?

I've seen news at http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php although I think that's part of the system that's being shut down (working at the moment, but for how long?).

Some of the news (such as the bounce problem with forwards) has been at http://mailsc.spamcop.net/ instead.

Yesterday, my main address was bouncing with the same error everyone was getting. Today that is working but my "Plussed addresses" are still bouncing.

I think you're SOL. I remember someone asking if plussed addressing would still be supported, but I don't think a final answer was ever given--I'll poke around and see if I can find that in the forums. Like you, I set up a LOT of plussed addresses, but assuming those would all go away, I worked to kill them all off by the deadline (and it's a good thing I finished early, given that the plug got pulled earlier than advertised!).

DT

I think you're SOL. I remember someone asking if plussed addressing would still be supported, but I don't think a final answer was ever given--I'll poke around and see if I can find that in the forums. Like you, I set up a LOT of plussed addresses, but assuming those would all go away, I worked to kill them all off by the deadline (and it's a good thing I finished early, given that the plug got pulled earlier than advertised!).

DT

As I said, I've moved everything I am aware of. This was only for any stragglers. I missed that conversation.

I think you're SOL. I remember someone asking if plussed addressing would still be supported...

...but I can't find it, so it's possible I simply made it up...my apologies if that's the case. I think your best bet would be to run that by Don or Richard, but Don hasn't logged in her for about 5 days.

DT

Archived