Forwards not working

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I received my test message right away, got no forwards for +/- 24 hours, the got maybe 1/2 dozen off and on yesterday. About 30-40 minutes ago things started coming through more steadily but a few still went to webmail. Oddly a reply to one in webmail came immediately back as a forward.

Fingers crossed, hope this is all fixed by cut-over. Did Cisco/Spamcop say END of day tomorrow or is it earlier than that?

David

A couple of DNS pointers, and some DB alias imports should be well within their skill set, and quickly accomplished.

I had assumed the same, before the mail forwarding broke. At least it seems to be working at the moment.

I use Spamcop to poll several email accounts and forward safe email. I did not have a CES mail account.The last email to be received from Spamcop was 30 September 2014 at 12.20pm NZ time. Spamcop appears to have taken my emails since then but has failed to forward them to my receiving account. I cannot log onto Spamcop Mail to access or forward them manually as all attempts to log onto mail.spamcop.net have failed. However I have been able to check that Spamcop has my emails using mail2go. The Spamcop site now contains no information on an outage, the note there yesterday having been removed. This appears to be the only way to advise Spamcop that the system is broken. I cannot access any mail taken by Spamcop and not forwarded. I also cannot access Spamcop to turn off polling so it stops taking my mail.

I use Spamcop to poll several email accounts and forward safe email. I did not have a CES mail account.The last email to be received from Spamcop was 30 September 2014 at 12.20pm NZ time. Spamcop appears to have taken my emails since then but has failed to forward them to my receiving account. I cannot log onto Spamcop Mail to access or forward them manually as all attempts to log onto mail.spamcop.net have failed. However I have been able to check that Spamcop has my emails using mail2go. The Spamcop site now contains no information on an outage, the note there yesterday having been removed. This appears to be the only way to advise Spamcop that the system is broken. I cannot access any mail taken by Spamcop and not forwarded. I also cannot access Spamcop to turn off polling so it stops taking my mail.

Spamcop no longer polls for anything, it's been weeks now since they posted the announcement that by 30 September the mail service was shutting down and they would only forward stuff that was forwarded to them in the first pllace. OK so they allowed us 3 extra days to access the accounts but the forwarding settings have now to be done at http://www.spamcop.net on the Preferences tab if not already done at SC Webmail. Basically SC is now only a reporting service.

I see from the Report page that the earlier advice that there were forwarding problems has been removed and it advises that News was updated on 2 October 2014 (at 6.17pm NZDT). However the link is to <http://mail.spamcop.net/news.php> which I cannot open. There is no point putting news updates in a part of the system which is broken and inaccessible.

See above. You can still do your forwarding settings. Everyone I would stop relying on SC for anything in the way of an email service as you run the risk of losing legitimate mail if SC decides something is spam. That mail would just be discarded. The news page is gone and as of tomorrow SC Mail will be basically no more. All news and all settings are now at http://www.spamcop.net

Thanks. I can see that the Mail side is no more and I had expected that it would cease polling but it has not stopped. Spamcop is still polling my emails and what it gets is now in a Spamcop email account inbox that I can only access via mail2web. How do I stop it polling those accounts? It used to be a setting inside webmail.

I'm not sure now but I feel pretty certain that they asked that all such settings be turned off and ONLY forwarding set up.

Edit: sorry but spellcheck doesn't seem to be working here and each time I visit I have to log in, so was typing rather impatiently.

Folks,

A quick update. I think I fixed my forwarding. I realized that all the messages being correctly forwarded were to my Spamcop email. The ones still going to Webmail were all via Spamcop POP'd from another ISP email account. I went into options, cancelled the POP setting, went to the other ISP and FORWARDED that account to Spamcop and all but a tiny group of 4 or 5 messages went right tthrough and since then everything seems to be working.

Fingers crossed, I'll post a followup later or tomorrow!

David

Folks,

A quick update. I think I fixed my forwarding. I realized that all the messages being correctly forwarded were to my Spamcop email. The ones still going to Webmail were all via Spamcop POP'd from another ISP email account. I went into options, cancelled the POP setting, went to the other ISP and FORWARDED that account to Spamcop and all but a tiny group of 4 or 5 messages went right tthrough and since then everything seems to be working.

Fingers crossed, I'll post a followup later or tomorrow!

David

I switched my forwarding to a Fastmail account. I can still use SC reporting for anything I feel doubtful about, but Fastmail has pretty good virus and spam protection on its own.

I've had my forwards set up and working since the day after the announcement went out, August 10th, 2014.

Today:

1)

2) Logging into webmail.spamcop.net, a few hours before the official cut-off, to see what's up with my Forwarding settings, the option to set it up is:

A.) Removed

B.) No way to confirm that my setting was ever there and/or was blown out in the migration.

Now, I'm just fine with cut-over issues, and temp outages, but with #2 happening, I've got no way to tell if there is a larger problem at work, and all my mail will continue to bounce...indefinitely.

Like I already stated  , all  spamcop.net  email is  forwarding through a Ironport  spam  appliance X-IronPort-Anti-spam-Filtered: trueX-IronPort-Anti-spam-Result: AhsBADNnL1RCbwQZnGdsb2JhbABGFwODYVjKahsKh02BHwEBEAEBAQEBBg0JCRSEdjqBDCUEG4g+DTenc4YAgXeHfoZnAREGj0wRASoEHR0FgiAPRCSBHoE1hHuQBYh2jT6KWVABE3uBOwEBAQX-IPAS-Result: AhsBADNnL1RCbwQZnGdsb2JhbABGFwODYVjKahsKh02BHwEBEAEBAQEBBg0JCRSEdjqBDCUEG4g+DTenc4YAgXeHfoZnAREGj0wRASoEHR0FgiAPRCSBHoE1hHuQBYh2jT6KWVABE3uBOwEBAQX-IronPort-AV: E=McAfee;i="5600,1067,7580"; a="489048"X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="5.04,651,1406620800";    d="scan'208";a="489048"Received: from vmx.spamcop.net (HELO vmx5.spamcop.net) ([184.94.240.112])  by esa1.spamcop.iphmx.com with ESMTP; 03 Oct 2014 19:21:44 -0800Received: from out1-smtp.messagingengine.com (out1-smtp.messagingengine.com [66.111.4.25])	(using TLSv1.2 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits))	(No client certificate requested)	by vmx5.spamcop.net (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 579E5ED172	for <------l[at]spamcop.net>; Fri,  3 Oct 2014 20:21:31 -0700 (PDT)Received: from compute5.internal (compute5.nyi.internal [10.202.2.45])	by gateway2.nyi.internal (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0BC7B20816	for <------[at]spamcop.net>; Fri,  3 Oct 2014 23:21:42 -0400 (EDT)Received: from web2 ([10.202.2.212])  by compute5.internal (MEProxy); Fri, 03 Oct 2014 23:21:42 -0400DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=	messagingengine.com; h=message-id:x-sasl-enc:from:to

---------------

canonical name vmx.spamcop.net. aliases addresses 184.94.240.112 Network Whois record

Queried whois.arin.net with "n 184.94.240.112"...

NetRange:       184.94.240.0 - 184.94.255.255CIDR:           184.94.240.0/20OriginAS:       NetName:        CISL-NET-4NetHandle:      NET-184-94-240-0-1Parent:         NET-184-0-0-0-0OrgName:        Cisco Systems Ironport DivisionOrgId:          CISL-7Address:        950 Elm AvenueCity:           San BrunoStateProv:      CAPostalCode:     94066Country:        US

Good data, my headers also show that.

I'm not sure the connection between your post and the quoted text, though. That was days ago, the first post in the thread, and the answers to it were long since put to rest.

My guess is Cisco has a Iron port spam appliance in Bruno California which now handles all the forwarding email. My spam quarantine post further proves my point.

Cesmail.net (webmail.spamcop.net) is now completely D.O.A with receiving email. but access is still available as of today (10/04/2014)

Their is no MX record for spamcop.net , but....

cesmail.net IN MX preference: 5 exchange: vmx5.spamcop.net

vmx5.spamcop.net IN A 184.94.240.124

spamcop.net IN A 23.67.252.34

spamcop.net IN A 23.67.252.25

spamcop.net IN NS use1.akam.net

spamcop.net IN NS ns1-73.akam.net

spamcop.net IN NS ns1-11.akam.net

spamcop.net IN NS ns1-109.akam.net

spamcop.net IN NS ns1-93.akam.net

spamcop.net IN NS ns1-117.akam.net

124.240.94.184.in-addr.arpa IN PTR vmx5.spamcop.net

184.94.240.124 | 220 vmx5.spamcop.net ESMTP

184.94.240.124 | 250-vmx5.spamcop.net250-PIPELINING250-SIZE 10240000250-VRFY250-ETRN250-STARTTLS250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-8BITMIME250 DSN

SPF record check none ?

Name Pref Addresses Port 25Help DNSHelp Open RelayHelp SPFHelp RBLsHelp

Complete!

vmx5.spamcop.net 5 184.94.240.124 UP Matched OK neutral 1/88/6

DDNSBL IP detected as spam

0SPAM IP NOT detected

ABUSE-CH IP NOT detected

ABUSE.CH FASTFLUX TRACKER IP NOT detected

ABUSE.CH spam BLACKLIST IP NOT detected

ABUSE.CH WEB ABUSE TRACKER IP NOT detected

ABUSE.RO IP NOT detected

BACKSCATTERER IP NOT detected

BARRACUDA IP NOT detected

BLOG spam BLACKLIST IP NOT detected

BLOG spam BLOCKLIST (EMPTY) IP NOT detected

BLOG spam BLOCKLIST (SPAMLOOKUP.NET) IP NOT detected

CASA CBL+ IP NOT detected

CASA-CML IP NOT detected

CBL IP NOT detected

DNS-BL EX ZONE IP NOT detected

DNS-SERVICIOS RBL IP NOT detected

DRBL VOTE NODE GREMLIN.RU IP NOT detected

DRBL WORK NODE GREMLIN.RU IP NOT detected

DUL.RU IP NOT detected

DYNIP IP NOT detected

EMAILBASURA IP NOT detected

GEOBL IP NOT detected

HIL IP NOT detected

HOSTKARMA IP NOT detected

IIP BLACKLIST IP NOT detected

IMPROWARE IP BASED SPAMLIST IP NOT detected

INPS IP NOT detected

INTERSERVER BL IP NOT detected

JIPPG IP NOT detected

KEMPTBL IP NOT detected

KISARBL IP NOT detected

KUNDENSERVER IP NOT detected

KUNDENSERVER.DE SCHIZO-BL IP NOT detected

KUNDENSERVER.DE SPAMBLOCK IP NOT detected

MAPS-DUL IP NOT detected

NETHERRELAYS IP NOT detected

NETHERUNSURE IP NOT detected

NIXSPAM IP NOT detected

NO-MORE-FUNN IP NOT detected

NOSPAM IP NOT detected

ORBITRBL IP NOT detected

ORVEDB IP NOT detected

PEDANTIC.ORG NETBLOCK IP NOT detected

PROXYBL IP NOT detected

PSBL IP NOT detected

RBL JP ALL IP NOT detected

RBL JP URL IP NOT detected

RSBL IP NOT detected

SBL-ZEN IP NOT detected

SCI.KUN.NL IP NOT detected

SECTOOR TOR BLACKLIST IP NOT detected

SEM-BACKSCATTER IP NOT detected

SEM-GEOBL IP NOT detected

SENDERSCORE IP NOT detected

SORBS-DNSBL IP NOT detected

SORBS-SMTP IP NOT detected

SORBS-SOCKS IP NOT detected

SORBS-spam IP NOT detected

SORBS-WEB IP NOT detected

SPAMCANNIBAL IP NOT detected

SPAMCOP IP NOT detected

SPAMGUARD IP NOT detected

SPAMHAUS PBL IP NOT detected

SPAMHAUS SBL IP NOT detected

SPAMHAUS XBL IP NOT detected

SPAMRATS-DYNA IP NOT detected

SPAMRATS-NOPTR IP NOT detected

SPAMRATS-spam IP NOT detected

SPAMSOURCES.FABEL.DK IP NOT detected

SPEWS1 IP NOT detected

SPEWS2 IP NOT detected

SWINOG DNSRBL IP NOT detected

TORDAN IP NOT detected

TORDAN-EXIT IP NOT detected

TRIUMF IP NOT detected

TRUNCATE.GBUDB.NET IP NOT detected

UBL IP NOT detected

UBL LASHBACK IP NOT detected

UCEPROTECTL1 IP NOT detected

UCEPROTECTL2 IP NOT detected

UCEPROTECTL3 IP NOT detected

VIRBL IP NOT detected

VIRBL-WL IP NOT detected

WOODY'S SMTP BLACKLIST IPv4 IP NOT detected

WOODY'S SMTP BLACKLIST IPv6 IP NOT detected

WPBL IP NOT detected

ZAPBL DNSRBL IP NOT detected

ZAPBL RHSBL IP NOT detected

AHBL Timed out

AHBL IRCBL Timed out

BURNTTECH Timed out

NJABL-COMBINED Timed out

SOUTH KOREAN NETWORK BLOCKING LIST Timed out

TIOPAN Timed out

The treeware letters are starting to arrive: "Due to %yourEmailAddress%[at]spamcop.net bouncing several times you need to re-confirm your accounts, subscriptions, and eConfirms." Good fun...

Oh well, I'll use these as the prompting to start migrating the remaining 182 online account credentials registered with my SpamCop email address.

Forwarding seems more or less straightened out, but my quantity of mail has certainly decreased. Since there is no way to find out what isn't being forwarded (Ironport block/bounce), it's another reason to get hustling on the migration.

The treeware letters are starting to arrive: "Due to %yourEmailAddress%[at]spamcop.net bouncing several times you need to re-confirm your accounts, subscriptions, and eConfirms." Good fun...

Oh well, I'll use these as the prompting to start migrating the remaining 182 online account credentials registered with my SpamCop email address.

Forwarding seems more or less straightened out, but my quantity of mail has certainly decreased. Since there is no way to find out what isn't being forwarded (Ironport block/bounce), it's another reason to get hustling on the migration.

I migrated all my email away from spamcop.net last month as the service is now to risky, I would recommend the email service listed below

So that confirms that Plus Addresses are NOT supported now?

Well, they don't produce a bounce, but here's what happens (I just did some testing):

When you add "+whatever" after your userid in your [at]spamcop.net or [at]cesmail.net address, the Cisco forwarding arrangement adds the "+whatever" after the userid of your configured forwarding address. So, if the receiving system can handle "plus addressing," then you're OK, but most cannot (including mine). So, it's effectively broken/unsupported.

DT

Thanks for those details.

So if an email is sent to NOBODY+TAG[at]CESMAIL.NET, and the forwarding address is SOMEBODY[at]EXAMPLE.COM, then the email will be forwarded to SOMEBODY+TAG[at]EXAMPLE.COM ?

I'm forwarding to my own domain, so I could theoretically handle that. But at this point, it may not be worth the trouble to set up, especially since I already got rid of the plus-addresses I had been using.

I wonder why CISCO couldn't have told us about this?

So if an email is sent to NOBODY+TAG[at]CESMAIL.NET, and the forwarding address is SOMEBODY[at]EXAMPLE.COM, then the email will be forwarded to SOMEBODY+TAG[at]EXAMPLE.COM ?

Yes, that's what my testing shows. At my own domain, at least using the GUI fowarding tools in cPanel, it won't let me create a plus address, rejecting the plus character as invalid. I could probably tweak my settings to allow it, but like you, I laboriously eradicated all of my former plus addresses.

As for why Cisco didn't tell us--they've not posted much here at all throughout the process, so that's hardly surprising.

DT

I haven't actually tried creating any plus addresses in my web hosting service control panel, but it lets you specify that incoming email with no defined forwarding address be sent to a shell scri_pt. I've experimented with that feature briefly, and it worked. I suppose it could be used to process plus addresses, but I haven't actually tried it either.

Before the transition I was receiving some sales receipts, bank statements, and other periodic announcements via email to my cesmail.net address. It's now become obvious that most of that email doesn't make it through the Cisco forwarding service. I am getting some personal emails and test emails forwarded correctly, but not the usual bank and financial emails. So much for the vaunted Cisco spam detection, it is not reliable enough to trust going forward.

Yeah it's pretty confusing. Your financial stuff isn't getting through, but an advertisement from my domain registrar came right through. I'm assuming Cisco applied a "one size fits all" filter instead of importing our filtering settings from CES, which would mean that we all have the same filtering settings now. However, I haven't quite figured out how it decides what is spam.

Test messages from my mail server don't get through, but test messages from my Yahoo account do. I've had the IP for 77 days, and certainly don't send spam. However, I even checked CBL and SCBL in case someone somehow got in and sent something from my IP. As far as I can tell it's clean, but then who knows whether Cisco even looks at these DNSBLs or something completely different.

It also occurred to me that the Cisco filter might not like the fact that the reverse DNS for my IP is a subdomain of compute.amazonaws.com rather than mail.mydomain, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that.

Archived