Forwards not working

I haven't actually tried creating any plus addresses in my web hosting service control panel, but it lets you specify that incoming email with no defined forwarding address be sent to a shell scri_pt. I've experimented with that feature briefly, and it worked. I suppose it could be used to process plus addresses, but I haven't actually tried it either.

Oh my, a "catch-all" address? Those went obsolete 10 years ago, scri_pt or no scri_pt.

DT

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, they don't produce a bounce, but here's what happens (I just did some testing):

When you add "+whatever" after your userid in your [at]spamcop.net or [at]cesmail.net address, the Cisco forwarding arrangement adds the "+whatever" after the userid of your configured forwarding address. So, if the receiving system can handle "plus addressing," then you're OK, but most cannot (including mine). So, it's effectively broken/unsupported.

DT

Thank you David. They may have changed something because my original testing was getting bounce messages from the Yahoo servers I was using for the test saying the spamcop servers did not recognize the address.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, a "catch-all" address? Those went obsolete 10 years ago, scri_pt or no scri_pt.

DT

What's wrong with a "catch-all" address? On my hosting account, I can set up the "default" address handling however I like: discard-with-error, forward to another address, pipe to a scri_pt, or drop.

What's wrong with a "catch-all" address? On my hosting account, I can set up the "default" address handling however I like: discard-with-error, forward to another address, pipe to a scri_pt, or drop.

Two words: dictionary attack

DT

That's why one of the options is to discard the messages.

If the account didn't have this feature, it would simply mean that the server automatically discards everything. This way, I have control over it. One advantage to that, as I mentioned earlier, is the ability to support arbitrary plus-addresses (if I wanted to do that).

This way, I have control over it. One advantage to that, as I mentioned earlier, is the ability to support arbitrary plus-addresses (if I wanted to do that).

I hate me-too post, but me too. I download everything, use the email app to select what I want, and I can selective report the rest. Yes, when I experenced a dictionary attack it was a pain. But I've only experienced 2 attacts; one email and one comment spam of a forum I manage. When I got to far behind, the delete key still worked. things never got so bad as DoS.

That's why one of the options is to discard the messages.

If the account didn't have this feature, it would simply mean that the server automatically discards everything. This way, I have control over it. One advantage to that, as I mentioned earlier, is the ability to support arbitrary plus-addresses (if I wanted to do that).

Control is good, and with adequate scripting, etc., someone who really knows what they're doing can safely utilize a "default" or "catch-all" address, but *only* under those circumstances. In the vast majority of cases, that function should most certainly *not* be turned on for the average domain owner. I'm quite certain that most people stopped allowing everything through many years ago.

DT

I hate me-too post, but me too. I download everything, use the email app to select what I want, and I can selective report the rest. Yes, when I experenced a dictionary attack it was a pain. But I've only experienced 2 attacts; one email and one comment spam of a forum I manage. When I got to far behind, the delete key still worked. things never got so bad as DoS.

The delete key? Sure, but the crap shouldn't have been allowed through in the first place. It was spammers who used to say "just hit delete" if you don't want our spam, so we shouldn't fall into that same mindset, IMO. And no, life is MUCH too short to spend what little time I have allowing the stuff through and then having to process it--better that it gets vaporized either before it hits my servers or the moment that it does.

DT

--better that it gets vaporized either before it hits my servers or the moment that it does.

Well I'm here because I prefer to report the spam. If it get vaporized the spam serves no purpose. If it gets to me and is reported some "good" may come. Life is short, latter this week I have a 2,000mi road trip. When I have time again to report spam some may be to old to be of value. Then I will use <DEL>.

We all do what we think is right (I assume).

Please see Rule #3 of "The Rules of spam," to whit: "Spammers are stupid."

http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/rules_of_spam.shtml

DT

Good point, although they finally quit trying to use my mail server as a relay. I guess getting told "no" a couple dozen (estimated because I didn't bother to count) times a day eventually got the point across. :)

Well I'm here because I prefer to report the spam. If it get vaporized the spam serves no purpose. If it gets to me and is reported some "good" may come. Life is short, latter this week I have a 2,000mi road trip.

I'll 2nd that, report and then vaporize sounds preferable. Vaporizing spam sounds so much more fun than just deleting it. Now if only we could vaporize the spammers too. :D Have a safe trip!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i really dont know how can i slve my phone problem if i get txt but i cant see from who number sent me.. aigoo really i hate help me plsss

Can you clarify what this has to do with Spamcop? You should be asking at your phone support.

Archived