Email bounces

GaelicGal

About a week ago I switched from webmail to Thunderbird, and downgraded my mail service since I no longer need that much storage. Unfortunately, downgrading meant deleting the account and starting a new one, so my emails may have been bouncing for about 2 minutes. Also unfortunately, it coincided with my beginning to use email reporting instead of pasting spam on spamcop.net, and I've been happily engaging in the fight against spam, reporting many more spam emails than usual.

Or so I thought. I just logged into spamcop.net and was told my contact email had bounced, and that I have unreported spam. Which now can't be reported because it's too old. Stuff happens intermittently (servers going down, etc.) that can cause bounce messages for a few minutes to a few hours. End users often don't even realize there's a problem. I wish you hadn't stopped accepting my spam just because of a momentary glitch that I was unaware of. One bounce message does not mean that an email address is invalid.

While I'm here, I've got a request about the web form. It drives me crazy that when I click "Skip to report" nothing happens if the spam is too old, and I have to page down 4 times to get to where I need to be. (Yeah, I know, First World Problem.) But I've never understood why you don't skip to reports when someone clicks skip to reports.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp This is just to note that I moved this Topic from the "SpamCop Email System & Accounts" forum to the "SpamCop Reporting Help" Forum, where I believe it is more likely to get attention from the folks most able to help, SpamCop Reporting users (and, perhaps even SpamCop Admin Don D'Minion). Sorry that I do not have an answer to your question or request, GaelicGal.

About a week ago I switched from webmail to Thunderbird, and downgraded my mail service since I no longer need that much storage. Unfortunately, downgrading meant deleting the account and starting a new one, so my emails may have been bouncing for about 2 minutes. Also unfortunately, it coincided with my beginning to use email reporting instead of pasting spam on spamcop.net, and I've been happily engaging in the fight against spam, reporting many more spam emails than usual.

Or so I thought. I just logged into spamcop.net and was told my contact email had bounced, and that I have unreported spam. Which now can't be reported because it's too old. Stuff happens intermittently (servers going down, etc.) that can cause bounce messages for a few minutes to a few hours. End users often don't even realize there's a problem. I wish you hadn't stopped accepting my spam just because of a momentary glitch that I was unaware of. One bounce message does not mean that an email address is invalid.

While I'm here, I've got a request about the web form. It drives me crazy that when I click "Skip to report" nothing happens if the spam is too old, and I have to page down 4 times to get to where I need to be. (Yeah, I know, First World Problem.) But I've never understood why you don't skip to reports when someone clicks skip to reports.

You have a point. Unless adjustments have been made, SpamCop is very sensitive to this. I used to use a free reporting account, and had the same shutdown because mail had supposedly bounced from my Yahoo account. They may not be the best, but it would seem even major email providers can mistakenly bounce mail for some reason. It would be helpful if SpamCop could wait a few minutes and try again before giving up on an email address.

If the folks with the power to decide stuff like this don't want to implement "wait a few minutes and try again" another option is a secondary contact address, either to use until the first one is back working or just to use to inform a user there is a problem that needs their attention.

Of course, either one would take some programming to implement. Although a recent announcement indicated that there are plans for improvements to SpamCop, I'm not sure if a change like this is within the scope of their plans.

I'm getting this too. I've resent the confirmation email and reset the bounce flag. I'm starting to think outgoing email is dns overloaded.

Edit: (update) I change to another email. The conformation goes through fine but the reports continue to bounce. How can one be fine and the other broke?

No the responses are for spam received today.

Edit: (update) I change to another email.

Did you also update your MailHost with spamcop reporting? that could becausing your reporting problem.

PS Jinx it's back. I have no way to troubleshoot this?

Assuming you mean forwarding, I send a message from my Yahoo account to my SpamCop account, then I go log into the account where the mail should get forwarded. If it's there, forwarding is working. :)

Archived