[Resolved] Attack spam Reported but "IP cannot be found"?

darkhours

Hello - I've been using Spamcop since it's early days and it has served me well and I hope that my reporting has had some small effect on the massive amounts of spam around the world. But this is the first time that I've needed some advice from the experts here in the forum to see what I can do about this issue - if anything. Today I received a spam at one of my anonymous joke Facebook accounts. I'm not even sure how these people got my email and targeted me with their smear campaign against people that I know nothing about at all. I do *not* like people who go about attacking people behind the cloak of anonymity. If you have a beef with someone because you are mad at them have the stones to say who you are.

So since this was unwanted spam I decided to report it. But the Spamcop came back saying that it could not find an IP address. I found this curious because I could see the IP in the headers - but I thought that it must be spoofed or something like that. Although I have been using Spamcop for over a decade I'm not that familiar with how it all works. Could someone explain it to me, and possibly advise me on how I should proceed with this problem - or should I just forget it?

Thank you - TC

Hello - I've been using Spamcop since it's early days and it has served me well and I hope that my reporting has had some small effect on the massive amounts of spam around the world. But this is the first time that I've needed some advice from the experts here in the forum to see what I can do about this issue - if anything. Today I received a spam at one of my anonymous joke Facebook accounts. I'm not even sure how these people got my email and targeted me with their smear campaign against people that I know nothing about at all. I do *not* like people who go about attacking people behind the cloak of anonymity. If you have a beef with someone because you are mad at them have the stones to say who you are.

So since this was unwanted spam I decided to report it. But the Spamcop came back saying that it could not find an IP address. I found this curious because I could see the IP in the headers - but I thought that it must be spoofed or something like that. Although I have been using Spamcop for over a decade I'm not that familiar with how it all works. Could someone explain it to me, and possibly advise me on how I should proceed with this problem - or should I just forget it?

Thank you - TC

Learn to add a SpamCop tracking URL example

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6004063902zc5f02d4e5978ae951269f4f84e586a03z

Hi, TC,

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Yes, as petzl suggested, please post the Tracking URL so that we can see what the SpamCop parser saw; this should help us immensely to answer your question.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It was a great surprise to me that when I searched for the error message you provided in the title of this Topic, I found only this Topic! That suggests that no one has ever reported this error message before you; I could have sworn I'd seen it earlier.

Steve - the native search facility is lousy, that's why we ended up with three different search facilities in the previous forum implementation.

darkhours/TC - at the moment you can find some explanation of Tracking URLs at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/4473-spamcop-glossary/#TURL

When you get an error that stops the process from going though to an actual report, that Tracking URL is still available. Until you dismiss the parser page. Unlike when a report is made, you cannot go back and retrieve it through your Past Reports. But you can parse it again and copy the URL to bring to the discussion.

There are too many possibilities to sort out technical detail without seeing the source and the parsing and the Tracking URL combines both - without making your service provider and account details public.

Steve - the native search facility is lousy,

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp That could be the case sometimes but not here (I don't think); I tried Google and only saw two hits and the other was a newsgroup article (no longer available).

You may be right - but we still need that Tracking URL.

[P.S.] I think the magic search phrase is "No source IP address found, cannot proceed." which is an actual, complete, parser exception declaration/error (perhaps the same one the O/P saw), often followed by "Add/edit your mailhost configuration". I currently get 102 hits within the forum using the complete "No source" phrase and the O/P may well find the answer within that lot. We may never know, TC hasn't subscribed to the topic and hasn't logged in since.

Thank you everyone for your information and advice. I'm a complete newbie here as you have all of you have realized. I use a different email address to log into Spamcop than my "darkhours[at]" address. I use apendexout[at]gmail.com when I report. When I got the message "No source IP address found, cannot proceed" I saw the message about configuring my mailhost as a way to combat this new tactic with spammers, so I did that immediately for two of my email addresses - the one where I received this attack spam and my girlfriend's account that I manage which receives more spam than my main account does. After I reconfigured the mailhost I tried to resubmit this same email but it still came back just as before.

So I've leaned to post my Tracking URL when I post here. Thank you for that. So what you are telling me is that there is really no way to report these people through Spamcop because they've covered their asses really good. Considering the type of personal attack email that it was the originators didn't want to get hit with any libel lawsuits.

<snip>

So what you are telling me is that there is really no way to report these people through Spamcop because they've covered their asses really good.

<snip>

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Um, no, that's not what we're saying (although it may turn out to be the case). What we're saying is that we need to see the Tracking URL for your spam parse to try to determine why the message happened. Another frequent reason for such a message is that the spam came from within the same e-mail network you use. But, again, we need the Tracking URL to have any chance of knowing.

Thank you everyone for your information and advice. I'm a complete newbie here as you have all of you have realized. I use a different email address to log into Spamcop than my "darkhours[at]" address. I use apendexout[at]gmail.com when I report. When I got the message "No source IP address found, cannot proceed" I saw the message about configuring my mailhost as a way to combat this new tactic with spammers, so I did that immediately for two of my email addresses - the one where I received this attack spam and my girlfriend's account that I manage which receives more spam than my main account does. After I reconfigured the mailhost I tried to resubmit this same email but it still came back just as before.

So I've leaned to post my Tracking URL when I post here. Thank you for that. So what you are telling me is that there is really no way to report these people through Spamcop because they've covered their asses really good. Considering the type of personal attack email that it was the originators didn't want to get hit with any libel lawsuits.

Usually not always SpamCop cannot "find find a IP" because it comes from your ISP.

Your Mailhost settings won't allow you to report yourself or your ISP

SpamCop errs on the side of caution

Gmail spam from your Gmail account, for instance, SpamCop will not report because it is from a mailserver (IP) you have registered as a possible host

>- Your Mailhost settings won't allow you to report yourself or your ISP

>- Gmail spam from your Gmail account, for instance, SpamCop will not report because it is from a mailserver (IP) you have registered as a possible host

Neither of those statements are true.

Mailhosts only tell SpamCop which ISPs belong to you so that outside ISPs can more easily be identified.

If the spam originated from your ISP, SpamCop will let you report it.

spam from one Gmail user to another Gmail user never went out on the Internet, which means that there are only internal IPs in the headers, such as 10.66.155.2

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -
- SpamCop[at]Spro.net -

Now I understand. Yes it does say that it's an internal email - it's from Gmail and my receiving email is also Gmail.

Here's the tracking url: http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6004840553z78618366fe94528c83a6cb16fc460ae7z

Read what "Don" said (thanks Don)

spam from one Gmail user to another Gmail user never went out on the Internet, which means that there are only internal IPs in the headers, such as 10.66.155.2

Which means all you can do is log onto Gmails webmail and click the spam button (its coming from a Gmail account to a Gmail account)

Thanks to all of you for your help in this obviously confusing matter. I appreciate *all* of the input that I received. I will follow Don's advice and report this through Gmail's reporting system. Now I know how to act should I receive any of this type of spam in the future.

TC.

Hi, TC,

Now I know how to act should I receive any of this type of spam in the future.

TC.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp If by "this type of spam" you mean spam that you confirm never went out over the internet, that is correct. I raise this point only to emphasize, mostly for those not experienced in SpamCop reporting, that not all error messages are due to spam that never went out over the internet or that is received at an "anonymous joke Facebook accounts" or involve gmail or personal attacks.

&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Thank you for your patience and persistence and returning here to let us know that you're now on track. :) <g>

Archived