Bogus bounce

I have recently started to use my spamcop.net E-mail account more and am considering switching over to it completely. However, I received a troubling bounce today to a message ostensibly from me, which I had never sent. Furthermore, the bounce seems to imply that the message I supposedly sent contained a virus. The most confusing part is that when I study the source of the bounce, particularly the included source of the message being bounced, I see this:

Received: from spamcop.net (localhost [127.0.0.1])

by mx3.interplay.com (8.12.10/8.12.9) with ESMTP id i0TN7W0K023161

for <maria[at]interplay.com>; Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:07:32 -0800

Now what does that mean? Does it mean that I was being spoofed by someone inside

interplay.com? The bounce message I received did seem to have come legitimately from mx3.interplay.com (the sending IP address matched mx3.interplay.com in DNS).

Should I just ignore this? The idea of someone sending a virus-laden message supposedly from me is kind of troubling.

-- David

Should I just ignore this? The idea of someone sending a virus-laden message supposedly from me is kind of troubling.

-- David

It's very common. Most viruses forge the return address of someone else when they send themselves out. That's why most responsible ISP's no longer send virus notifications to the alleged virus senders.

JT

Archived