MASSIVE LAWSUIT AGAINST SCOTT RICHTER...

HillsCap

I have a domain name and hosting that is not being used, and with the domain Defenceweb.org, I am sure it would be a good place to have a petition to help defend spamcop! send me an email, and I could use a petition scri_pt (hosted on linux, no frontpage crap), if it sounds good!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sign me up too, but as has been previously asked, how can we tell which spam is from this group?  It would be great to have a page of known-spam to compare against... perhaps the SpamCop folks can cobble something together quickly.

You can always check the headers for the following IP's

69.6.0.0/18

69.6.64.0/20

69.15.83.16/28

206.165.164.128/26

66.179.100.178/32

66.179.100.128/25

66.179.17.160/27

66.45.41.136/29

66.45.41.192/32

66.45.80.80/29

206.161.120.64/26

66.129.88.100/31

66.129.88.100/30

65.168.54.0/23

80.77.34.128/25

65.60.16.10/32

69.6.21.0/24

...Thanks.

...Do you know to what abuse address reports would go for these IPs?

Recognizing OptinRealBig spam

It's pretty easy to recognize many of Scotty's canned meat products.

Unlike many other spammers, Scotty pretends to be legitimate, and sends out mail from his domains and IP addresses when he can.  <p>

IP addresses 69.6.0.0/20 belong to Scotty, and if you read the lawsuit, you'll see  Abovenet notifying Optigate that they refuse to accept route advertisements for those addresses because of the level of complaints. <p>

Domain name moosq.com is also Scotty's - Most of the spam comes from machines named [some-number].moosq.com.  It's usually in the From line.  Most of the mail I've gotten from Scotty has at least one header line (I think it's the From:?) that has a long string encoding your user name (usually SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS) and probably some information about which spam this was) [at] [number].moosq.com .    My spam logs used to get lots of mail from them, addressed to three of my email addresses (two of which I *never* use for the public, including one that's been dead for N years and clearly came from web harvesting.)  I haven't checked the log lately, but there were dozens in the last two weeks.  <p>

OptinRealBig sometimes shows up in their email bodies, but I don't keep that in my log files so I don't know how often.

...Thanks.

...Do you know to what abuse address reports would go for these hosts?

Parsing input: 69.6.0.5

host 69.6.0.5 (getting name) no name

Reporting addresses:

abuse[at]above.net

abuse[at]optigate.net

Parsing input: moosq.com

host 69.6.21.18 (getting name) = webmail.ss01.net.

Reporting addresses:

abuse[at]above.net

abuse[at]optigate.net

Unfortunately, not all of Merlyn's IP addresses are so "visible"

I could not have said this better myself:

Spamcop exists to free us from unwanted solicitation ala email.

It protects us from fraudulent spam and repeated unwelcome solicitations.

My email box is a private location which should be protected from people trying to push their interests and separate me from my money. I wish for NO commercial solicitations in my email box unless we have an agreement ahead of time that there is an interest for this. This does not mean that everyone in the world who wants to sell me something, award me my Nigerian millions, expand me penis OR breasts, refinance my house which I do not own, get me drugs that I do not need, etc, etc, etc can try to contact me through my email box to ask for this permission.

Spamcop is all we've got to protect OUR interests and OUR email boxes from crooks, practicers of fraud, anyone who wants to sell anything, or flood OUR boxes with THEIR stuff.

I conduct BUSINESS through my email.

I TALK to my FRIENDS through my email.

This is MY EMAIL BOX.

I want it PROTECTED from unwelcome intrusions by corporate entities EXACTLY LIKE that of Scott Richter's Opt In Real Big. He should be prosecuted for attempting to jeopardize OUR privacy with his actions against Spamcop.

Legal actions by spammers or email-marketers to impinge OUR rights and OUR privacy can not stand.

Eric Kimminau

Clarkston, MI

Sign me up.

I just set up a mail filter that looks for moosq as part of the sender for all mail I receive. I am already using junk filters so most of it had already been sorted. I just got 4 more messages that passed through all my other filters in the last 24 hours. My evidence repository is now in business.

My email box is a private location which should be protected from people trying to push their interests and separate me from my money. I wish for NO commercial solicitations in my email box unless we have an agreement ahead of time that there is an interest for this. This does not mean that everyone in the world who wants to sell me something, award me my Nigerian millions, expand me penis OR breasts, refinance my house which I do not own, get me drugs that I do not need, etc, etc, etc can try to contact me through my email box to ask for this permission.

Clarkston? Only 35 miles away!

Welcome aboard.............

Parsing input: 69.6.0.5

host 69.6.0.5 (getting name) no name

Reporting addresses:

abuse[at]above.net

abuse[at]optigate.net

Parsing input: moosq.com

host 69.6.21.18 (getting name) = webmail.ss01.net.

Reporting addresses:

abuse[at]above.net

abuse[at]optigate.net

Unfortunately, not all of Merlyn's IP addresses are so "visible"

...Interesting ... when I searched my spam reports for abuse[at]above.net, I got a hit that shows:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0

<snip received lines representing my employer's incoming mail servers>

Received: from sk.ca ([142.165.129.155]unverified) by <snip> with InterScan Messaging Security Suite; Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:41:48 -0600

Received: from hsdbrg142-165-129-155.sasknet.sk.ca (hsdbrg142-165-129-155.sasknet.sk.ca [142.165.129.155])

by sk.ca (8.12.8p1/8.12.8) with ESMTP id isdath26287

for <snip my e-mail addy>; Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:27:52 -0400 (EST)

Message-ID: <ykdnqu623419[at]gte.net>

To: <snip my e-mail addy>

Subject: Thank you for your order.

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:27:50 -0400 (EST)

<snip>

which looks to me like an attempt by a spammer to forge one of Scotty's users as a From address! Maybe we can use this to pressure him to join the anti-spam initiative! :D

...From me, too! I'm (working) in Plymouth, MI.

I'm in.

I just unsubscribed from an OptInRealBig email now (from a Yahoo address I don't really use anymore). It tried to give me a dozen cookies and install spyware.

If I receive anything else from him, then that's more proof against him.

Let me know when the petition site or whatever gets set up.

...From me, too! I'm (working) in Plymouth, MI.

Plymouth, much closer only about 5 miles :-)

I, too, would like to join the crusade against this "Inbox Molestor". I would like to offer www space or hosting if it is needed. My company mail filters have been picking many emails a day from him. Unfortunately, they go in the trash as soon as they come in. I have set up filters to catch these emails for archiving from now on. I will also pass word on to my customers about this potential CAL.

I will, if requested, put a link on my main site to whatever site hosts the petition.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Craig Patterson

PC Insomniacs

Onsite IT Solutions - Atlanta Georgia

678-887-8324

PC Insomniacs - Onsite Computer / Laptop Repair - Atlanta Georgia

What if we don't use SpamCop? Is this lawsuit for everyone who receives spam from Scott Richter, or just SpamCop users?

...Good question! My first reaction was: everybody! My next reaction was: wait, maybe we want to try to ensure that we don't let any spammers join. Third reaction was: what does that matter -- there wouldn't be anything they could learn that would hurt us.

...What do you think, all (esp HillsCap)?

I object to any and all individuals or other entities which seek to limit others' ability to sift spam and other undesired email at our own choosing. I choose to lodge my complaint with others in the form of this class-action suit.

What if we don't use SpamCop? Is this lawsuit for everyone who receives spam from Scott Richter, or just SpamCop users?

It's a petition against spam ...period. Everyone welcomed. We still have to word and test the legality of the petition. As this is work in progress, any input is appreciated. In my oppinion, we can be specific about Scotty's sleeze or even better, all inclusive. In the end, a well written petition should serve the aim of all spam fighters.

I think what should be clear is that people sign a common petition on their own volition, implying that they agree with it's content and message.

We should also seek some legal council, so that the petition has some weight and would not be subject to a suit. A petition is just that, it expresses the opinion and outrage of its signitaries. In fact, in a proper petition, people state their name and contact.

Count me in!

I've recently started receiving spam from Brilliant Marketing (a Richter company) to an email address I've only given out to my immediate friends and family.

Most of the spam I've received to this address I have saved and would be happy to provide it for this cause. It has turned into a considerable amount!

cybersaur

7cjdl7502[at]sneakemail.com

Count me in, I could also help with a site, if the person who's organizing this wants. Can you/he please contact me via AIM: IQPhat, MSN: xshare101[at]hotmail-dot-com, Email: i[at]likepie-dot-net, or just PM me here.

Hi, all.

I did a bit of digging at ROKSO, and came up with the following list of IP addresses used by Richter.

http://www.hillscapital.com/richter.txt

BadJeffy, that sounds like a good idea... Linux would probably be a better choice for this, as our server is a Win2K box (probably wouldn't be able to handle all the signups once this thing takes off). Plus, I'm not real heavy on programming to input to a database, which is what I envision for this.

Or, we could use a suggestion from TPP (someone who's already signed up at StopSnottyScotty[at]yahoo.com), and go with http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ .

That would probably be easier to do... now all we need is the wording for the petition. We'll need to compile the list of Senators, Legislators, and FTC contacts to send the petition to.

I guarantee if we get enough people signing up for this petition, and we tell each and every one of our Senators and Legislators, Governors, etc. about it, there'll be pressure brought to bear on Richter.

Spread the word, everybody... forget 1,000... let's try for 1,000,000 or more.

Can you/he please contact me via AIM: IQPhat, MSN: xshare101 (AT) hotmail.com, Email: i (AT) likepie.net, or just PM me here.

XShare -

You might want to know that spammers like Richter and his oozy little friends have programs running that do nothing but crawl the web looking for email addresses that have been posted. Any time you post your email addy it's a good idea to obscure it a little to keep it out of the hands of the bots. I did it for you in my quote of your message, and you should probably edit your message in a similar manner.

Thanks for joining in, and be sure to bring friends!

Can you/he please contact me via AIM: IQPhat, MSN: xshare101 (AT) hotmail.com, Email: i (AT) likepie.net, or just PM me here.

XShare -

You might want to know that spammers like Richter and his oozy little friends have programs running that do nothing but crawl the web looking for email addresses that have been posted. Any time you post your email addy it's a good idea to obscure it a little to keep it out of the hands of the bots. I did it for you in my quote of your message, and you should probably edit your message in a similar manner.

Thanks for joining in, and be sure to bring friends!

Thanks, and yes, I do know that. I just missed it that time. Thanks. :)

Archived