Sign in to follow this  
northchurch37

S/MIME Functionality

Can I use my VeriSign ID for Spamcop webmail? It works well when sending via Outlook Express. I exported the ID to a floppy and tried an upload to Spamcop - not sure how to upload this info. other than via a PC7 file. Error message received when trying to send digitally-signed email -- passphrase not valid. I double-checked the passphrase when exporting my ID to a floppy which I used to try uploading personal private key. If anyone has successfully enabled S/MIME, could you please let me know.

Thanks,

David

Can I use my VeriSign ID for Spamcop webmail?  It works well when sending via Outlook Express.  I exported the ID to a floppy and tried an upload to Spamcop - not sure how to upload this info. other than via a PC7 file.  Error message received when trying to send digitally-signed email -- passphrase not valid.  I double-checked the passphrase when exporting my ID to a floppy which I used to try uploading personal private key.  If anyone has successfully enabled S/MIME, could you please let me know.

Thanks,

David

The problem is that the upload isn't looking for that kind of file. It wants a PEM file, which is an ASCII file. The only way I know to convert your certificate to PEM format is to use the OpenSSL tools.

So, right now, this isn't very convenient. If you can get the PEM file, the S/MIME does work.

JT

The problem is that the upload isn't looking for that kind of file. It wants a PEM file, which is an ASCII file. The only way I know to convert your certificate to PEM format is to use the OpenSSL tools.

So, right now, this isn't very convenient. If you can get the PEM file, the S/MIME does work.

678[/snapback]

It's really not that hard. Here's the steps I used on my windows PC:

* Go to http://www.Thawte.com with IE and get a new outlook certificate

* Export the certificate out of IE

* Make sure you have cygwin installed (http://www.cygwin.com/)

* Download openssl via cygwin

* Run this command openssl pkcs12 -in your-exported-filename -out filename-to-create

* Go to the webmail interface of spamcop and import the file created above

That's it.

Dave.

So you only need to access 1 external site and install/configure 2 other pieces of software (cygwin and openssl) to get this working.

And we have problems getting people to post a tracking URL ;)