Does Korea do anything about spam?

sparkz

My domain has been getting hit by spam from a certain spammer who's operating from Korea. I'm talking hundreds each day. They definately all to do with the same individuals. I'm 100% sure of that.

Using SpamCop over the last few weeks and even making personal spam complaints has made absolutlely no difference. They still continue to go through the dictionary with my domain.

I read a few articles on the web that Korea is supposed to be taking a tough line on spam now. I've seen no evidence of this.

Is there a better way of getting them to sort it out before I start putting pressure on my IP to get Korean domains blocked.

Mark

Hmm, thanks Merlyn! As a matter of interest, what IP address ranges did you block?

I think 99% of my spam is either from Korea or has links to sites in Korea.

Is there a concise list of IPs ranges by country anywhere. The only ones I've seen go into too greater detail.

Mark

Well, blocking all Korea is not an option for you if you live in Korea.

Spamcop does not stop the spam from being sent. If the internet service provider pays attention to spamcop reports, the internet service provider can stop spam from being sent.

Spamcop blocklist provides a way to filter suspected spam either into a held email folder or to reject it altogether.

If you live in Korea, you should be lobbying the Internet Service Providers in Korea to use the measures that whitehat ISPs use to prevent spammers from operating. The only way to stop spam is to stop it at the *sending* end.

Miss Betsy

I LIVE IN KOREA AND I SUFFER FROM spam DAILY. IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU LIVE HERE AND SPAMCOP SEEMS TO DO NOTHING TO STOP THE spam.

Sorry to hear it. At first, I too was under the impression SpamCop actually did more to stem the flood of spam. I'm sure there are a few networks who do take their reports seriously but the main benefit seems to be when you use their own filtered web mail service.

The main reason I use them is for the help in locating the source of the spam and related addresses. On occasions, like to do with this particular brand of spam which I've been getting hundreds of each day, I have been making personal reports as well. All to no effect though.

Are there oganisations in Korea who deal with spam on a national level? I know they took part in a global initiative (well 26 countries) called 'Secure Your Server' to stem the use of open relays for spamming. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be much happening the tackle the issue?

Mark

I know they took part in a global initiative (well 26 countries) called 'Secure Your Server' to stem the use of open relays for spamming. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be much happening the tackle the issue?

According to our logs I think they changed the name to 'spam Your Server'

I LIVE IN KOREA AND I SUFFER FROM spam DAILY. IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU LIVE HERE AND SPAMCOP SEEMS TO DO NOTHING TO STOP THE spam.

Is your Caps Lock key broken?

Can only guess that he/she is still in RANT mode from a Topic he/she started and recently 'explained' that only professional people should be posting in these Forums, not just the rabble that seem to inject their silly thoughts into just any subject being discussed ... I could be wrong of course <g>

As SpamCop isn't involved in the process of "sending" the spam, and the ISP's receiving notification of the spew fail to take appropriate action, what is the point you're really trying to make? Even better, might you have a better solution at hand?

Since you are in Korea, and we are not, perhaps you could locate their circuit breaker box and do us all a favor?

Or visit their office and scream and yell at them in person.

Or, you could blacklist all of Korea by default and whitelist only those people you know you want email from.

You can also get multiple "disposable" email addresses from www.netmails.net, and give one unique address to each contact.

I LIVE IN KOREA AND I SUFFER FROM spam DAILY. IT'S VERY FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU LIVE HERE AND SPAMCOP SEEMS TO DO NOTHING TO STOP THE spam.[\QUOTE]

I bought a screwdriver and it's useless for knocking nails in. I blame the manufacturer of the screwdriver.

To amplify on what Chris and Merlyn (I think?) said, you can also find some good info here:

http://www.okean.com/asianspamblocks.html

He works closely with the blackholes.us folks. Might be the same info but he has it in several formats.

Of course this is only useful if you have the ability to firewall things before they get to your mail server. If you are a downstream user, the best you can do is maybe twiddle a content filter.

To amplify on what Chris and Merlyn (I think?) said, you can also find some good info here:

http://www.okean.com/asianspamblocks.html

Thanks, the more the better!

I don't control my own mail server but I have just started using a email forwarding company which on top of the usual virus/spam checks allows users to set their own rules to accept/reject/mark/delete any mail. My previous service just had a spam filter which had a habit of occasionally removing legitimate email. So I turned it off and relied on my windows spam checker which had a better hit rate any way.

With my new service I can setup white list to guarantee my regular contacts don't get binned. Some of the regex for blocking an IP range aren't small but I don't mind as long as it cuts down my spam bin to a manable size. In the past there have been so much spam it been difficult to spot something which is legitimate.

Mark

Can only guess that he/she is still in RANT mode from a Topic he/she started and recently 'explained' that only professional people should be posting in these Forums, not just the rabble that seem to inject their silly thoughts into just any subject being discussed ... I could be wrong of course <g>

Boy! are you having problems with comprehension.

Excuse me?

What do you mean?

Excuse me?

What do you mean?

MAYBE S/HE SHOULD HAVE USED ALL CAPS SO THAT YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND!

S/he lives in Korea and gets spam and spamcop doesn't work for hir and no one will fix it so s/he is FRUSTRATED.

I am sorry that spamcop won't work for hir, aren't you?

Miss Betsy

Is there a pinned topic or a faq-o-matic that will explain this?

Reporting though spamcop.net is not likely to reduce the spam that you get unless the operator of the e-mail server takes action to stop accepting spam from known spam sources.

There is a spamcop.net blocking list that can be used by the spamcop.net mail service and other services to help determine if incoming e-mail is spam. The spamcop.net mail server tags what it detects as spam for user inspection.

Using the spamcop.net blocking list for absolute rejection of spam may result in the rejection of real e-mails.

Most spam is now coming from compromised computers or domains owned by spammers. These machines are extremely unlikely to send real e-mail, and there are other DNSbls that can provide a listing of these.

Note that while spamcop.net may be the first to detect some of the spam coming in, once the spamsource gets identified and put on the more conservative DNSbls, many reporters no longer see the spam to report it.

Spamcop.net attempts to list the true source of spam, and not intermediate secure relays, known as multi-hop exploits.

Use of the spamcop.net blocking list will not catch all incoming spam, and it is likely to have "false positives".

Use of any multi-hop list is likely to also have false postives if used by itself.

While there are many responsible network operators out there, there are too many that will not do anything about spam coming out their network as long as most other servers will still accept e-mail from them.

See the pinned topic in the lounge on the cost of spam.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

There probably should be a FAQ since people are always wondering why their spam has increased since starting to use spamcop or whether reporting spam actually does anything. I think some points are mentioned in other FAQ, but there's no harm in repeating them.

IMHO, it would be better posted in the Lounge and links put in existing pinned FAQ where appropriate (because we don't have a FAQ forum yet).

Since it is in the middle of this thread, why don't you post it in the Lounge with appropriate title and hope Wazoo shows up to pin it soon? He likes to have the proper attribution so he won't copy it and pin it.

Miss Betsy

Archived