Are emails passed to spammers

nevans67

When i get to the report spam page i usually get the following or similar

Report spam to:

Re: 181.58.120.205 (Administrator of network where email originates)
To: abuse[at]telmexla.net.co (Notes)

Re: http://grandjob-option.com/ (Administrator of network hosting website referenced in spam)
To: abuse[at]iwan.ru (Notes)

I sometimes fill the coments/notes section in especially if im being bombarded by this spammer.

My question is when i hit the report spam button is my email address being passed on to these links, only several times now i have started to receive the same spam but from my own email address, im not sending these emails and my account hasnt been hacked, the spammer is forging the headers to make it look like im sending the spam

Are some of these links owned by the spammers themselves so when i report the spam im just replying to the spammer ? and getting them pissed off so they just use my email address as a sort of revenge

<snip>

My question is when i hit the report spam button is my email address being passed on to these links

<snip>

Yes, exactly so! Note that you have the option not send to any addresses that you fear might be the spammer or might be forwarded to the spammer.

Are some of these links owned by the spammers themselves so when i report the spam im just replying to the spammer ?

That's possible.

and getting them pissed off so they just use my email address as a sort of revenge

That's possible but there are two things that make it less likely than one might think:

• SpamCop tries to remove from its report any instances of your e-mail address that it sees, so unless you are explicitly including it in your comments/ notes or the spammer is cleverly identifying you in some other way, the spammer will not be able to associate the report with your e-mail address.
  • Spammers have better things to do than retaliate in this way. A more likely explanation, I would say, is that the spammer already has your e-mail address (which is why you received spam to report in the first place) and is just sending more spam to her/ his victims, in general.

• Thanks for answering :)
  • SpamCop tries to remove from its report any instances of your e-mail address that it sees, so unless you are explicitly including it in your comments/ notes or the spammer is cleverly identifying you in some other way, the spammer will not be able to associate the report with your e-mail address.

Thats good to know, i was starting to become paranoid that was the cause of it and no i never add my email address,

• When i do report spam i leave all the boxes checked that are already checked and never really look at them closely so it is possible as you say that i am replying to the spammer, I just need to check more in the future

• Spammers ,,,,,, put them all in a field and bomb the barstewards

• 1 month later...

Yes, IMHO "it is worth actually continuing to report." The SC reporting system has two objectives:

1. The primary objective is to build a block list, which admin can use to help filter spam from the incoming email stream. Every spam reported for which an IP address can be identified and is not too old, contributes to this dynamic list.
  2. The secondary objective is to send spam reports to admin of the source of the spam so they "are aware" and can clean up the act of those using the IPs they control. If a good abuse address can not be found or for some other reasons, then this report is sent to devnull.
  3. Thirdly, :) if time allows, and they can find a reporting address for links in the spam, then reports are also sent to these IP admin.

Objective #1 is the primary objective and all submitted spam contribute to the reputation of source IP address, therefore is worth the effort.

Going on from this, is it worth actually continuing to report spam when every report is sent to devnull.spamcop.net?

One spammer in particular is giving me grief in that I get at least three spam emails per day, if not more, all of which when reported, end up with the devnull.spamcop.net address.

Try the email CERT of country, include notes in SpamCop report like

contacto [AT] csirt-ccit.org.co

181.58.120.205 (Administrator of network where email originates)

BOTNET ATTACK HOST

http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=181.58.120.205

BLOCK OUTBOUND PORT 25,

RESERVE FOR LEGIT EMAIL SERVER

CHANGE TO SECURE PASSWORD

SCAN INFECTED COMPUTER FOR MALWARE

spewing spam

http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=181.58.120.205

Archived