What about reporting forged sender bounces?

wpietri

<snip>

Well, since you're taking the pose of an expert, you might demonstrate that by saying what I should be researching. I'd be intrigued to hear it. I've written both MTAs and MUAs, albeit small ones, and wrote a chapter of a book (IDG's Internet Secrets, Volume 2 on how email works). I've been programming for twenty years, using the internet for fifteen, and running mail servers for more than ten. So I'd be eager to hear your pointers to any further research I should be doing on the topic.

<snip>

If you want to compare resumes, that can be done elsewhere. I'll just state that I date back to the days of electron tubes that were replaced by transistors, that were replaced with Integrated Circuits, spent my hours re-indexing boxes of Hollerith cards, toggling in "programs" via front panel switches, started my first BBS on a Franklin 1200 (an Apple II+ clone)....

<snip>

...If I'm reading correctly, this is not what William (wpietri) was saying. (S)he was just showing that (s)he is not a newbe compuer user and could therefore handle relatively technical explanations in answer to his question as to why Julian & co do not want SpamCop users to report the spam that is included in bounces.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming to this discussion kind of late -- seems the last post is from about the first of June -- and I freely confess that most of the discussion was way over my technical head. In addition, there was a lot of personal stuff there in the middle that really muddled the issue.

So, since I'm getting 'bounces' at least once a day, I thought I'd see if I understand the situation.

1. Mailhost subscribers should not report bounces.

2. There is a way to manually report bounces, but only wizards and techies know what it is and how to do it. So,

3. Ordinary mortals should just delete the 'bounces' and move on.

Is that a good precis of the current state of affairs?

kent graham

moore, oklahoma

I'm coming to this discussion kind of late -- seems the last post is from about the first of June -- and I freely confess that most of the discussion was way over my technical head. In addition, there was a lot of personal stuff there in the middle that really muddled the issue. 

So, since I'm getting 'bounces' at least once a day, I thought I'd see if I understand the situation.

1.  Mailhost subscribers should not report bounces.

2.  There is a way to manually report bounces, but only wizards and techies know what it is and how to do it.  So,

3.  Ordinary mortals should just delete the 'bounces' and move on.

Is that a good precis of the current state of affairs?

kent graham

moore, oklahoma

Hi, Kent,

...Yes, IMHO you've pretty much got it. Substitute "SpamCop.net reporters" in place of "Mailhost subscribers" and I think it's perfect.

...If you're feeling at all "techie" and want to know how to manually report these, PM me and I'll let you know how I do it (I'm not really all that much of a techie, myself, and do not find it to be all that difficult) but don't feel obligated....

There is a way to manually report bounces

Sometimes, possibly ... the catch is it depends on what was included in the bounce. Some ISPs only send a "report" that the attempted e-mail submission failed for some reason, usually a mis-typed address for instance. (In the olden days, this was a nice thing to do.) Other ISPs will reject / bounce the entire message along with the 'report' ... these can possibly be reported, but this is where the header data and content must be analyzed for that which is data from the original message and not the "bounce" message. Sometimes this is obvious, sometimes it's a mess. If you can break out the original spam, then yes, you can report it manually (possibly using the SpamCop parser for target info) .. if this is above your knowledge level, then yes, deleting it and moving on is probably much safer for you. You can make the assumption that you probably weren't the only person in the world to get the same spam, so it is likely that someone else has reported it in their own fashion.

Archived