my email address has been added to a blacklist.

cris

Although my ISP in Australia is BigPond... I myself am NOT in Australia at the moment. Here's the greatest illustration of just how computer illiterate I really am:

The ISP I've been using is NOT BigPond... but whatever this particular computer is linked up to? Am I right?

Correct. The e-mail server of the .cz system you're using to handle your e-mail is the issue for you right now. What would help is (if we pretend that BigPond has set up its servers somewhat freindly) you giving up the rejection/bounce message you got that would show the IP address of the system you're attached to for outgoing e-mail.

But, to hurry things up for your communications, it would really be best to set up a temporary account at one of the web-based/free systems as has already been suggested. Or have your partner in Oz do it (taking the chnce that your .CZ server isn't also blocked there ..??)

On the internet, I know how to click a button to send a message, and how to type.

Currently, user with this type of understanding and level of knowledge are also being taken advantage of by the lowlife virus/trojan writers and spammers these days, especially the subset of these users that also are spending the mony on high-speed connections ... at best, some of them will one day realize that their computers aren't working near as fast as they used to, worst case, they come home from work to find that their internet access has been cut by their ISP ... only then do they find out that their system had been compromised and was aiding in the spew of millions of spam e-mails. And of course, the next step that user makes is to walk into the lions den of people that have been trying to get that machine disconnected for a number of months <g>

So granted that you may not know much about your car and how it actually works, but the odds are that you were required to do a bit of training to learn some rules before you got your license. This little step is missing for most computer/internet users.

<snip>

making assumptions about folks isn't terribly helpful either. i'm not a 'he' and i DID go to the link. i did read it.

sure, assumptions suck, but when dealing with a complete lack of data and a request for an answer, how else does one propose to bridge that gap? And as far as discerning your sex from a simple screen name ...???

<snip>

Hi, Wazoo,

...That's just the point -- since you couldn't discern the sex of the poster from the content, you should not have used a male pronoun! :) <g>

OK, you drove me nuts ... I read, re-read, and re-read another dozen times my (first response) post and all I coud see was a number of "you" and a "your" or two .... I finally gave up and started through the rest of the thread/Topic ... aha! it was agsteele!

<snip>

making assumptions about folks isn't terribly helpful either. i'm not a 'he' and i DID go to the link. i did read it.

sure, assumptions suck, but when dealing with a complete lack of data and a request for an answer, how else does one propose to bridge that gap? And as far as discerning your sex from a simple screen name ...???

<snip>

Hi, Wazoo,

...That's just the point -- since you couldn't discern the sex of the poster from the content, you should not have used a male pronoun! :) <g>

OK, you drove me nuts ... I read, re-read, and re-read another dozen times my (first response) post and all I coud see was a number of "you" and a "your" or two .... I finally gave up and started through the rest of the thread/Topic ... aha! it was agsteele!

...Oops! Yep, it was agsteele, not you! I should have written "...That's just the point -- since the person who used the male pronoun couldn't discern the sex of the poster from the content, that person should not have used a male pronoun! "

Unfortunately, for the pc people, there are still some old dinosaurs around who have to remember to use s/he. When we were growing up, the accepted pronoun for an unknown was "he"

However, everyone knows the explantion of the acronym ASS-U-ME

Miss Betsy

However, everyone knows the explantion of the acronym ASS-U-ME

No I don't :D

Well of course you do ;)

It has special application to most of what you say :D

Anyway, the male/female thing reminds me of a University Prof.

who had a female student that complained about the use of "mankind",

and the Prof. replied that: (in his classes) "man embraces woman".

Anyway, the male/female thing reminds me of a University Prof.

who had a female student that complained about the use of "mankind",

and the Prof. replied that: (in his classes) "man embraces woman".

Actually I got a chuckle out of it! But then I am not of the pc generation.

Miss Betsy

Are you of the Apple, S100, CP/M, TRS-80, PET, Minicomputer, or Mainframe generation then?

Do I score more points for working on computers that long pre-date your list? Those magical days of blinky lights, lots and lots of front panel switches. and lest one forget, those wonderful ASR/KSR keyboards that sometimes took pounds of pressure to press the keys <g> (I choose not to recollect those days of electron tubes and patch panels .. that stuff just plain hurts <g>)

Are you of the Apple, S100, CP/M, TRS-80, PET, Minicomputer, or Mainframe generation then?

Do I score more points for working on computers that long pre-date your list? Those magical days of blinky lights, lots and lots of front panel switches. and lest one forget, those wonderful ASR/KSR keyboards that sometimes took pounds of pressure to press the keys <g> (I choose not to recollect those days of electron tubes and patch panels .. that stuff just plain hurts <g>)

I can remember when all the programs I wrote were on punch cards and the only monitor was connected to the mainframe in the computer room.

I can remember when all the programs I wrote were on punch cards and the only monitor was connected to the mainframe in the computer room.

I can remember paper tape input and output. There were no monitors, just lights on the console and a line printer for reports. But that was back in the late 60's.

Things have improved somewhat. We can now make mistakes even faster then before. ;)

...Ken

I can remember paper tape input and output. There were no monitors, just lights on the console and a line printer for reports. But that was back in the late 60's.

Things have improved somewhat. We can now make mistakes even faster then before. ;)

...Ken

Ah but do you remember wiring boards ?

I did not check my spell checker recently, I believe it's a fosile rock, left over of Cretaceous period, calcium carbonate chemically speaking...

Cre`ta´ceous   Pronunciation: krė`tā´shŭs

Noun 1. Cretaceous - from 135 million to 63 million years ago; end of the age of reptiles; appearance of modern insects and flowering plants

Cretaceous period

Age of Reptiles, Mesozoic, Mesozoic era - from 230 million to 63 million years ago

geological period, period - a unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed; "ganoid fishes swarmed during the earlier geological periods" 

Adj. 1. cretaceous - abounding in chalk 

2. cretaceous - of or relating to the Cretaceous geologic era; "cretaceous rocks" 

Noun 1. chalk - a soft whitish calcite

chalk - a piece of chalk (or similar substance) used for writing on blackboards or other surfaces

calcite - a common mineral consisting of crystallized calcium carbonate; a major constituent of limestone

calcium carbonate - a salt found in nature as chalk or calcite or aragonite or limestone

Oviously the correct spelling is chalk, please accept my appology!

...Clearly, and without reservation, I say that spammers are far, far worse.  Overly vigilant spam fighters do not steal computing resources from others and they do not fill anyone's e-mail Inboxes with trash that takes up valuable disc space and takes time to plod through.

Absolutely...

I see, today, that the current estimate is that spam now amounts to about 70% of all Email floating about the Internet. (from MessageLabs - reported at news.bbc.co.uk)

The report suggests that the rate of increase is so great that they expect this volume to reach around 80% of all Email by the middle of the year.

The estimates are that this level of junk Email cost US business around $10 billion in 2003. The UK shelled out around £3.2 billion. That's an awefully large pot of money that could be used to do something more useful :(

Andrew

OK, you drove me nuts ... I read, re-read, and re-read another dozen times my (first response) post and all I coud see was a number of "you" and a "your" or two ....  I finally gave up and started through the rest of the thread/Topic ...  aha! it was agsteele!

Yes, it was me :ph34r: I've long ago replied directly to Cris and apologised... but her point was well made.

Andrew

Archived