My Server Contact fails as page copy below. Lrase assist so that I can use Spamcop Michael

COPY

Enter the POP server you would like checked

POP Server Username Password Leave on Server Use SSL Error Count Last Error Delete this Entry

140 Cannot contact server

Entry

I get this error whether or not I tick SSL

MUCH LATER dETAILS REMOVED AT YOUR REQUEST / tHIS 'CHECK' NOW ERROT FREE sORRY I INSERTED Q COMMA BUT ONLYIN THIS COPY

As Andrew has pointed out, you have posted your account login information in a public place. Please replace with obscured data.

To answer your question, your pop server may only need the username rather than username[at]server you have entered. Whatever you would use on your own client (i.e. Outlook Express) to download the messages locally. The username[at]server is needed when using the popgate server to retrieve from services such as AOL or Yahoo.

I don't think the SSL switch works at all.

is being fetched from

does one assume a colloquialism here, or a hint that fetchmail is in use?

on m britishlibrary Outlook Express but i vannot find the spam to check it

From the top, is this question actually dealing with your use of Outlook Express, or should this Topic bemoved over into one of the E-Mail Forums because you are asking about something to do with your SpamCop Filtered E-Mail account?

I have now 'checked' my britishlibrary Pop3, username and password satisfactorily and wish to retain my old address michael.stevens[at]britishlibrary.net

Mail to this address does not reach snevets[at]spamcop.net. Should I do more?

Deleted Held Mail reported as trash does not reach 'empty trash' and does not leave the held mail list of several hundred

Please Help

Michael Stevens Oxford Uk

First of all, I think this should be moved by a moderator to the email forum.

Also, you probably want to mask your email address as ths is a public forum and your email address could be picked up here. I have modified my quote of your message.

I have now 'checked' my britishlibrary Pop3, username and password satisfactorily and wish to retain my old address username<at>britishlibrary.net

Mail to this address does not reach username<at>spamcop.net. Should I do more?

Are you saying that your pop mail is not being collected by the spamcop pop system? Sometimes deleting the entry and redoing it helps. Please note that the mail will not be picked up immediately but should be the next time the pop server gets to your entry on the list, usually within an hour unless something is wrong with the server or an unusually large batch of email is being collected along the way.

If you have the option of configuring the britishlibrary account to forwad the messages from the britishlibrary.net address to the spamcop.net address, things would happen instantly.

Deleted Held Mail reported as trash does not reach 'empty trash' and does not leave the held mail list of several hundred

This is a pinned entry at the top of the email forum. Try here.

First of all, I think this should be moved by a moderator to the email forum

What we have here is a poster that starts new Topics, asks a questions, responses have been posted, yet there's not a sign that any of those answers have been read, acted upon, or just ignored. What I'm going to do now is track down all of his posts thus far, grab them and all the responses, merge them into a new Topic, put that over in E-Mail Set-up, PM the poster, and cross my fingers that he will follow along and maybe even clear up what's actually going on ...????

Also, you probably want to mask your email address

I believe it was you that offered the same advice to his second Posting, but again, it appears to have either been not read or ignored ..???

First of all, I think this should be moved by a moderator to the email forum

What we have here is a poster that starts new Topics, asks a questions, responses have been posted, yet there's not a sign that any of those answers have been read, acted upon, or just ignored. What I'm going to do now is track down all of his posts thus far, grab them and all the responses, merge them into a new Topic, put that over in E-Mail Set-up, PM the poster, and cross my fingers that he will follow along and maybe even clear up what's actually going on ...????

Also, you probably want to mask your email address

I believe it was you that offered the same advice to his second Posting, but again, it appears to have either been not read or ignored ..???

Thankyou for replies to my queries wich I have read. Is this where replies are made if not where?. Please remember I am an ordinary e-mailer who has recourse to your sophisticated program only because I suffer so much spam. i want to keep my unique e-mail address.Span has been successfully removed but all my mail is now locked. Maybe it will clear in the morning. I will put any new Messages in jhe e-mail folder but thought this was to do with my set up . Apologies if any are dua e-mail direct to me would help if it will get through. Regards Michael

Glad to see that you made it 'here" ...

Is this where replies are made if not where?.

Yes, just as you did here in your last post .. you ask a question, someone will try to answer.

replies to my queries wich I have read

But you have to answer questions also. I have to tell you, at this point, I'm confused as to what and where your issues actually are. You've run from changing an account name to mentioning that there is supposed to be some connection between a SpamCop account and a britishlibrary.net account, but you've not answered any questions trying to delve into just what type of connection you're trying to accomplish. there's you trying to access the SpamCop server via POP3 or IMAP, there's SpamCop POPing your server, there's your server Forwarding to the SpamCop server .... and as 99% of "us" are users also, there's no way "we" can look at your account details .. you have to say what you're trying to do, what you have done, etc.

In your very first post, for instance, one would guess that you copied some data off the screen and pasted that into your post here. Towards the end of the "Entry" line, I haven't a clue as to what/where "michel1" fits into anything. The alleged e-mail address in that line contains a comma, vice a period .... Perhaps this is a screen where you're trying to have the SpamCop server POP your britishlibrary.net server, but if I had to guess, that whole line is wrong .. but that's just me ... I'm having to guess at too much to point at the whole problem. StevenUnderwood has tried to address the same issues, and you say you've read all the responses, but .... ?????

Wazoo

Sorry There seems to be deep confusion

My aim only is to apply spamcop and keep my e-mal address of mcihael.stevens[at]britishlibrary

Since you ask I am going to the e-,ail dorum where I will tell you about the actions I about to take in response to suggetions. Hope I am beginning to get the hang of this thanks Michael

Wazoo

I am rsuming this on the e-mail forim at your request

I aim to set up spamcop and use my michael.stevens[at]britishlibrary address

I have just now altered my server name to snevets only leaving out spamcop.net

It therefore reads pop.spamcop.net

smtp.dsl.pipex.com

Name snevets

I will now try sending a trial from my address to myself and wait an hour or so to see if it goes through

Thanks for your continuing help Michael

LATER

Mail not accepted I am reverting to full user name under name onmy server

From your description, I can not tell whether you are trying to pop email from britishlibrary to spamcop or the other way around. I am making assumptions here. If any are incorrect, please correct them so I can fix my answer.

If you want people to continue to use your britishlibrary address and have the messages filtered by spamcop, you would need to get the messages to the spamcop servers and you would collect them from spamcop. This is probably what you want.

If you are indeed trying to get any mail sent to britishlibrary popped into spamcop, do the following. Because you left your login information in your original request, I was able to test these setting myself and they work fine. I made sure to leave mail on server so I would not remove any of your mail.

From the main spamcop webmail page, click Options, SpamCop Tools, Configure external POP servers.

POP Server: POP3.britishlibrary.net

Username: michael.stevens

Password: from here

Leave on Server: unchecked

Use SSL: unchecked

When you decide to edit all your previous posts to remove your account informatiom, other people will no longer be able to gain access to your emails. Untl then, good luck.

I did send a test message to your michael.stevens<at>britishlibrary.net address and neither Eudora nor spamcop picked it up. Do you have that account setup to forward somewhere else? If so, you will never be able to pop any messages from there because they never stop there.

See my post under the email forum.

You can either continue to have people use your britishlibrary address, have the messages sent to spamcop and collect them there

or

You have people use your spamcop.net address, have spamcop send them to britishlibrary and read them there. This method will not filter any messages ent directly to britishlibrary, however.

I am rsuming this on the e-mail forim at your request

Not sure where the confusion started, but I didn't make "this request" .... You are trying to "set-up" something between your ISP server and the SPamCop server, thus the PM to you with the notice and link that I'd moved your stuff to the E-Mail Set-up Forum .... which is where I'm also going to move this new Topic when I post this. Well, actually, what I'm going to do is "merge" this in with your existing Topic over in the Set-up Forum .... please keep the conversation going "there" until this gets resolved.

PM sent once again to advise user of the movement of this set of posts ...

WAZOO AND STEVEN Thanks for you attemps to help I am sure it is something simple

I am using Outlook Express on a standard PC Microsoft 98

'i want to have my britishlibrary mail fetched,as you put it, filtered and returned so that I can continue to use that address

I have followed your instructions Spamcop Email Setup/ POP Setup.and completed

Thr name of the pop derver

my user name on that server

my passwoord on that server (which I asume is my POP password)

I assume this has been filled in correcctly since my mail (all of it) is being fetched

I confirm that I have altered my Server entry to read

pop.spamcopm.net

smtp.dsl.pipex.com

Account Name snevets[at]spamcop.net Note I have tried using the name only,

Note I am on broadband through Pipex as Britishlibrary server does not provide it

I confirm that I have altered my Server entry to read

pop.spamcopm.net

smtp.dsl.pipex.com

Account Name snevets <at>spamcop.net

Having to assume that the "server" entries possibly menas your Outlook Express settings (?) .. this means that your OE checks for incoming e-mail on the SpamCop server ... you "send" e-mail out through pipex.com .... none of this has anything to do with your "britishlibrary mail"

Making another assumption, you are able to check your e-mail at the "britishlibrary" using Outlook Express ... if this is true, the start Outlook Express .. go to Tools | Options | Accounts | Mail |Select the britishlibrary account | Properties .... copy the information seen there to use to fill in the SpamCop form details to make the connection. Everything should match (other than the password of course) ... The theory is that then SpamCop will pick up the e-mail from the "britishlibrary" .. process it and it will be sitting on the SpamCop server waiting for your Outlook Express to connect and see all the new e-mail.

i want to have my britishlibrary mail fetched,as you put it, filtered and returned so that I can continue to use that address

You can not do that as it would create a loop. The email would continue bouncing between the servers, except that spamcop may dump it the second time it sees it. This could explain your problem.

It all depends on your definition of using.

As I said previously, you can contine to have people send your email to the library account and read it either on spamcop webmail or collect it from there.

Or you can have people use the spamcop address and collect it from the library account.

In addition, for security, please change your britishlibrary account password. The one you posted in public is still active and anyone could be reading your email right now.

Your other settings (except for the typos) appear correct.

Have you received messages from me with your account information? I have sent 2 as tests and the britishlibrary accont information seems to be working, but I have not collected any messages from it. Does it possibly forward to a different account?

You can either continue to have people use your britishlibrary address, have the messages sent to spamcop and collect them there

Thanks I seek to have mail sent to michael.stevens[at]britishlibrary.net and would pick it up from Spamcop (on webmail I suppose).

The trouble is that it does not get thrpugh even after waiting some hours

Held Mail and Trash on the extreme right of the display are functioning ok

To raise a new question Is it possible that my broadband address to CONNECT

aouf70.xtreme.pipex.net (in the the panel that appears when I go to send/receive on my Outlook Express 6) has to do with the problem?

Note I do see a spamcop message among the rest in the Held Mail box in the middle of the Spamcop toolbar

I am not sure I understand other parts of your message rgar may or may not be relevant Thanks Michael

PS Hope I am in the right forum

The trouble is that it does not get thrpugh even after waiting some hours

Let's step back a minute. Are you getting any email through from the britishlibrary account to the spamcop account, perhaps all in the Held Mail folder?

You mention messages in the held mail folder but you don't say how they got there. I don't think I have gotten even 1 spam message directly to my spamcop account in 18 months of use.

On the pull down on the upper right of the webmail screen, select Held Mail.

Open a message, select Show All Headers and copy/paste them in a reply here. You should hide your email address. As an alternative, you can checkmark the message from the selection page and click Forward and send it to my test account, spamtest<at>poboxes.com with your name in the subject line so I don't report it as spam. Then I can look at the headers and determine where the message came from.

The reason I ask is that I sent 2 test messages to your account this weekend. Also, since you posted your login information (please change that password) I checked for the message and neither time was I able to see it from your account. Usually, if you are popping the messages off the server, they will be there a short time and can be seen at one time or another. If you are forwarding to another address, they will not be seen at all. This leads me to believe that your britishlibrary account is configured to forward all messages to a third email address (perhaps your ISP account).

See my post under the email forum.

or

You have people use your spamcop.net address, have spamcop send them to britishlibrary and read them there.  This method will not filter any messages ent directly to britishlibrary, however.

I have replied to this in Emmail Setup but do not yet see it there. Should I repeat the reply Thanks Michael

I have replied to this in Emmail Setup but do not yet see it there. Should I repeat the reply

To the best of my knowledge, all your postings and responses are sitting in the E-Mail Set-up Forum .. as explained in the PM's I sent when I merged and moved all of them, each time I did it. I hate to say it, but I still get the strange feeling that though you say you've read all the postings, comments like this send a different message. It seems like we've addressed some items numerous times, but are still left waiting for an answer from you on exactly what's going on. I hesitate to ask, but ... is it possible that there's some translation issues involved here?

Open a message, select Show All Headers and copy/paste them in a reply here.

Steven Thanks I send this now. You may then wish me to answer the rest of the queies in your latest mail later?

Content-Type:  multipart/alternative; boundary="--9960426613256857"

Date:  Mon, 24 May 2004 23:33:20 -0500 [00:33:20 EDT]

Delivered-To:  spamcop-net-snevets[at]spamcop.net

michael.stevens[at]britishlibrary.net

MIME-Version:  1.0

Message-ID:  <15057473678.11321[at]68.169.170.211>

Received:  (qmail 29808 invoked from network); 25 May 2004 07:49:19 -0000

from unknown (HELO c60.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.105) by blade1.cesmail.net with SMTP; 25 May 2004 07:49:19 -0000

from mailgate.cesmail.net (216.154.195.36) by c60.cesmail.net with SMTP; 25 May 2004 03:49:18 -0400

(qmail 22484 invoked from network); 25 May 2004 07:49:18 -0000

from unknown (HELO mailgate.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.101) by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 25 May 2004 07:49:18 -0000

from mail.britishlibrary.net [195.40.67.24] by mailgate.cesmail.net with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.1) for snevets[at]spamcop.net (single-drop); Tue, 25 May 2004 03:49:18 -0400 (EDT)

(qmail 24462 invoked from network); 25 May 2004 03:57:30 -0000

from vasey.mail.uk.easynet.net ([195.40.1.231]) (envelope-sender <voumoayweflvu[at]myway.com>) by nectarine.mail.uk.easynet.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP for <michael.stevens[at]britishlibrary.net>; 25 May 2004 03:57:30 -0000

from [218.39.184.248] (helo=I-FRIEND) by vasey.mail.uk.easynet.net with smtp (Exim 4.32) id 1BSSs8-0002b3-Gx; Tue, 25 May 2004 04:45:01 +0100

from [31.128.64.138] by calais579329.police.68.169.170.211 via HTTP; Tue, 25 May 2004 02:38:20 -0200

Reply-To:

Return-Path:  <voumoayweflvu[at]myway.com>

Subject:  [No Subject]

To:  michael.stevens[at]britishlibrary.net

X-Easynet-RBL-Warning:  218.39.184.248 is listed at sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

X-Ironport-AV:  i="3.81R,82,1083556800"; d="scan'208"; a="65608932:sNHT26636692"

X-Message-Info:  033PC359Wyvfu24TP68oynPplPK010xdkT9rjWWOpibHLS42NDL931

X-spam-Checker-Version:  SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on blade1

X-spam-Level:  ***********

X-spam-Status:  hits=11.3 tests=CONSOLIDATE_DEBT,FREE_QUOTE,MORTGAGE_BEST, MORTGAGE_PITCH,MORTGAGE_RATES version=2.63

X-SpamCop-Checked:  192.168.1.105 216.154.195.36 192.168.1.101 195.40.67.24 195.40.1.231 218.39.184.248

X-SpamCop-Disposition:  Blocked bl.spamcop.net 

Headers:  Show Limited Headers 

Steven

That message came through your britishlibrary.net address here:

from vasey.mail.uk.easynet.net ([195.40.1.231]) (envelope-sender <voumoayweflvu<at>myway.com>) by nectarine.mail.uk.easynet.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP for <michael.stevens<at>britishlibrary.net>; 25 May 2004 03:57:30 -0000

It was then picked up by spamcop pop service here:

from mail.britishlibrary.net [195.40.67.24] by mailgate.cesmail.net with POP3 (fetchmail-6.2.1) for snevets<at>spamcop.net (single-drop); Tue, 25 May 2004 03:49:18 -0400 (EDT)

And was delivered to your held mail folder because the IP address here:

from [218.39.184.248] (helo=I-FRIEND) by vasey.mail.uk.easynet.net with smtp (Exim 4.32) id 1BSSs8-0002b3-Gx; Tue, 25 May 2004 04:45:01 +0100

is on the block list. How you tell that is it is the last IP address in the line here

X-SpamCop-Checked:  192.168.1.105 216.154.195.36 192.168.1.101 195.40.67.24 195.40.1.231 218.39.184.248

and was held by the list mentioned here:

X-SpamCop-Disposition:  Blocked bl.spamcop.net

This message looks like it might be spam because of the blank subject , what appear to be a fake header line prior to the easynet (which britishlibrary is associated), and the sending IP is on the blocklist already.

So it looks like messages are coming through britishlibrary.net to your spamcop account. Are you still not seeing any messages in your inbox?

I just sent a test message from my work account to your britishlibrary account tracing the path and setting return receipt. I immediately received this message which means it reached your britishlibrary servers.

Your trace: Test of spamcop

has reached: mx2.vip.easynet.NET

at: 05/25/2004 09:30:12 AM

Archived