For Mac users: automatic reports with Applescripts

frenchkiwi

Hi there,

For Macintosh Users only : 3 very useful Applescripts to automate SpamCop reporting by email

Go to http://www.scriptbuilders.net/category.php?search=spamcop to download them.

In my case I use Entourage v.X as my main email system, with the AppleScript SpamCop report 1.0 found on this www.scriptbuilders.net/ website. It works just great used standalone, and even better with Entourage v.X rules. Saving me a lot of time every day to do my reporting to Spamcop !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eudora to SpamCop 1.1 

GPL | 7.16.03 | scri_pt #1382

Author: Kristofer Widholm  | Developer's Web Site

OSAXen Needed: None

Requirements: Eudora 6 (Eudora 5.2 with Junk option disabled)

scri_pt Type: Editable

Category: Eudora

Release Notes:

This is an AppleScript for quickly reporting spam to SpamCop from within Eudora. In addition to queueing a properly formatted spamreport message in your outbox, it has the following features:

1. NEW!: Submission of multiple selected messages at one invocation.

2. If message has been left on server, scri_pt can be configured to set that message to be deleted.

3. Attachments to the spam are deleted automatically, with or without notification, according to user preferences.

4. scri_pt can mark the spam as read, and can optionally trash it or move it to the Junk folder.

Unfortunately, there aren't adequate verbs in Eudora's AppleScript dictionary for a robust implementation of the Junk mail feature. Moving an e-mail to the Junk folder does assign a score of 100 to it (though it takes a while to see that), but I'm not sure if it properly updates the Bayesian filters the way the Junk command does. Consider it a workaround implementation until we either get native verbs for it, or until keystroke programming becomes standard in Mac OS X.

* By the way, I believe this should work with Eudora 5.2 as well, though obviously without the Junk mail funtionality.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report spam 1.0 

Freeware | 5.21.03 | scri_pt #1159

Author: Jan Pieter Kunst  | Developer's Web Site

Requirements: Outlook Express 5, Internet Explorer 5, SpamCop acct

Category: Outlook-Express

Release Notes:

This scri_pt works with Outlook Express 5 and Internet Explorer 5. It assumes the user has an account with the SpamCop spam reporting service at http://spamcop.net/

SpamCop Report 1.0 

Freeware | 5.21.03 | scri_pt #1169

Author: Allen Watson  | Developer's Web Site

Requirements: Entourage

Category: Entourage

Release Notes:

To use this scri_pt you must sign up with www.spamcop.net to get a free email address for reporting your spam. Please read the instructions on the web site carefully about selecting messages to report as spam. When you sign up, you will be sent an email message containing two email addresses, one for quick reporting and one for full reporting. You can use either one with this scri_pt. :)

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I use Thunderbird to report. It lets you click on all of your spam, and forward it as one email, but spamcop still sees all the individual emails, with full headers. It would be nice if there was an even easier way, like ideally a mail.app plugin with a toolbar icon, but using thunderbird is an OK way to go.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have come up with an AppleScript that integrates with Safari and Mac OS 10.4 to perform rudimentary reporting of all email messages in your junk mail box in Mail.app. Give it a try! Obviously, you want to be certain everything that has been tagged as spam actually *is* spam before running this... :-)

Don't forget to post any improvements/suggestions!

Enjoy!

--
-- NOTE: scri_pt assumes you are always cookied/logged into SpamCop.Net for reporting
--

tell application "Safari"
	activate
	close every window
	set myDoc to (make new document)
	set URL of myDoc to "http://www.spamcop.net/"
end tell

if WaitForPage(30) is false then
	stop
end if

tell application "Mail"
	set msgList to (messages of junk mailbox)
	set msgCount to (number of items in msgList)
end tell

if (msgCount > 0) then

say "Processing" & msgCount & " messages from junk mailbox..."

repeat with i from 1 to msgCount

try

tell application "Mail"
				set topMsg to item i of messages of junk mailbox
				set rawMsg to source of topMsg
				set the clipboard to rawMsg
			end tell

ProcessMsgText()

on error the error_message number the error_number
		end try

end repeat

tell application "Mail"
		delete every message of junk mailbox
	end tell

else

say "Skipping junk mailbox..."

end if

say "Done"

quit
end tell

on ProcessMsgText()

activate
		set URL of document of window 1 to "http://www.spamcop.net/"
		delay 3
	end tell

if WaitForPage(20) is true then

tell application "System Events"
			tell process "Safari"
				delay 0.5
				keystroke (ASCII character 9)
				click menu item "Paste" of menu 1 of menu bar item "Edit" of menu bar 1
				delay 0.5
				keystroke (ASCII character 13)
				keystroke (ASCII character 10)
				keystroke (ASCII character 13)
				delay 0.5
				keystroke (ASCII character 32)
			end tell
		end tell

WaitForSpamCop()

end if

end ProcessMsgText

on WaitForSpamCop()

delay 5

if WaitForPage(30) is true then
			set resultPageTitle to (name of window 1)
		end tell
		if (resultPageTitle is "SpamCop.net") then
			ProcessSpamCop()
		else
			delay 3
				end tell
					ProcessSpamCop()
				else
					delay 5
						end tell
							ProcessSpamCop()
						end if
					end if
				end if
			end if
		end if
	end if

end WaitForSpamCop

on ProcessSpamCop()

delay 3

set resultPageHTML to source of document 1

set PROCESS_SPAM_BUTTON_SRC to "Process spam"
		set SEND_SPAM_REPORTS_BUTTON_SRC to "Send spam Report(s) Now"

set processedOK to ((offset of SEND_SPAM_REPORTS_BUTTON_SRC in resultPageHTML) > 0)

end tell

if (processedOK) then
			do java scri_pt "document.sendreport.submit();" in document 1
		end tell
	end if

delay 3

end ProcessSpamCop

on WaitForPage(timeout_value)

delay 2

repeat with i from 1 to the timeout_value

try
				if (do java scri_pt "document.readyState" in document 1) is "complete" then
					return true
				else if i is the timeout_value then
					return false
				end if

end try

delay 1

end tell
	end repeat

return false

end WaitForPage

What version(s) of Safari?

What is in this scri_pt that makes it 'require' 10.4?

I'm using Version 2.0.4 (419.3) of Safari. Nothing here "requires" 10.4(.7) that I'm aware of but this was a 3-hour hack to help me report spam automatically, so YMMV.

That said, below is version 2. I've removed System Events from the link-up to Safari and have used JS for more robust interactions with AppleScript. And yes, it's now more like a 6 hour hack. :-)

Enjoy!

---

--
-- Send junk mail from Mail.app's junk mail into SpamCop
--
-- scri_pt ASSUMES you are cookied / logged into SpamCop.net
--
-- Revised 9/21/06
--
-- v 1.0 - RK-Hates-spam - Created
-- v 2.0 - RK-Hates-spam - Replaced System Events with java scri_pt for data passing & form submits
--

close every window
	set URL of myDoc to "http://www.spamcop.net/"
end tell

if WaitForPage(30) is false then
	stop
end if

tell application "Mail"
	set msgList to (messages of junk mailbox)
	set msgCount to (number of items in msgList)
end tell

if (msgCount > 0) then

say "Processing" & msgCount & " messages from junk mailbox..."

repeat with i from 1 to msgCount

try

tell application "Mail"
				set topMsg to item i of messages of junk mailbox
				set background color of topMsg to gray
				set rawMsg to source of topMsg
			end tell

SubmitSpamToSpamCop(rawMsg)

end try

end repeat

tell application "Mail"
		delete every message of junk mailbox
	end tell

else

say "Skipping junk mailbox..."

end if

say "Done"

quit
end tell

on SubmitSpamToSpamCop(rawMsg)

set URL of document of window 1 to "http://www.spamcop.net/"
		delay 1
	end tell

if WaitForPage(20) is true then

set fixedMsg to TrimForLength(rawMsg, 49000)
		set fixedMsg to ReplaceChars(fixedMsg, "\"", "\\\"")
		set fixedMsg to ReplaceChars(fixedMsg, "'", "\\'")
		set fixedMsg to ReplaceChars(fixedMsg, ((ASCII character 10) as string), "\\n")
		set fixedMsg to ReplaceChars(fixedMsg, ((ASCII character 13) as string), "\\r")

do java scri_pt "document.forms['submitspam'].elements['spam'].focus()" in document 1
			do java scri_pt "document.forms['submitspam'].elements['spam'].value=\"" & fixedMsg & "\"" in document 1
			do java scri_pt "document.submitspam.submit();" in document 1
		end tell

WaitForSpamCopToProcessSpam()

end if

end SubmitSpamToSpamCop

on WaitForSpamCopToProcessSpam()

delay 5

end tell
			ProcessSpamCopResults()
		else
			delay 3
				end tell
					ProcessSpamCopResults()
				else
					delay 5
						end tell
							ProcessSpamCopResults()
						end if
					end if
				end if
			end if
		end if
	end if

end WaitForSpamCopToProcessSpam

on ProcessSpamCopResults()

delay 3

set resultPageHTML to source of document 1

set PROCESS_SPAM_BUTTON_SRC to "Process spam"
		set SEND_SPAM_REPORTS_BUTTON_SRC to "Send spam Report(s) Now"

set processedOK to ((offset of SEND_SPAM_REPORTS_BUTTON_SRC in resultPageHTML) > 0)

end tell

if (processedOK) then
			do java scri_pt "document.sendreport.submit();" in document 1
		end tell
	end if

delay 3

end ProcessSpamCopResults

on WaitForPage(timeout_value)

delay 2

repeat with i from 1 to the timeout_value

try
				if (do java scri_pt "document.readyState" in document 1) is "complete" then
					return true
				else if i is the timeout_value then
					return false
				end if

end try

delay 1

end tell
	end repeat

return false

end WaitForPage

on TrimForLength(this_text, max_len)
	if length of this_text > max_len then
		return (text 1 thru max_len of this_text)
	end if
	return this_text
end TrimForLength

on ReplaceChars(this_text, search_string, replacement_string)
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the search_string
	set the item_list to every text item of this_text
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the replacement_string
	set this_text to the item_list as string
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ""
	return this_text
end ReplaceChars

I may be missing something in the "processspam..." section, but .. it looks at first glance that there's no chance for the user to review, select, un-select offered up targets of which reports and targets that show up in the parse results .... this is the 'automatic reporting mode' that has gotten many folks into trouble in the past ...

I may be missing something in the "processspam..." section, but .. it looks at first glance that there's no chance for the user to review, select, un-select offered up targets of which reports and targets that show up in the parse results .... this is the 'automatic reporting mode' that has gotten many folks into trouble in the past ...

No, you're not missing anything and you make a good point. In the original post I mentioned the need to pre-validate spam but I'll say it again to be perfectly clear: I ONLY run this scri_pt AFTER going through my "Junk Mail" mailbox and MANUALLY DELETING regular (i.e. "OK") spam.

I've read about folks getting fined/banned for reporting sans discrimination and have no desire to do/be the same. Thanks for bringing that up!

-RK

No, you're not missing anything and you make a good point. In the original post I mentioned the need to pre-validate spam but I'll say it again to be perfectly clear: I ONLY run this scri_pt AFTER going through my "Junk Mail" mailbox and MANUALLY DELETING regular (i.e. "OK") spam.

<snip>

...But will that precaution avoid the problem that I mentioned in thread "Quick Reporting Held Mail?"

• 2 weeks later...

How is this scri_pt for Mail.app to work? I tried to copy it into the scri_pt Editor and run it, but I get an error that says "Expected end of line but found identifier" in this line. The wod "java" is highlighted.

do java scri_pt "document.forms['submitspam'].elements['spam'].focus()" in document 1

Any tips on what I am doing wrong? I really want to give this a try.

Let's rule out the ovbious .... there is a very heavy-handed code modification in place in this Forum, placed there due to some previous exploits, one of which was used a while back to hack the account of one of the Moderators.. In the case of this code (and your post, if you didn't notice) there are some changes to certain data typed in, stored, and displayed .... the 'change' is obvious, so I don't feel the need to go into much detail on the specifics .. but the question would be ... 'did you correct what you copied before saving it and trying to run it?' Based on where you said the error was high-lited, I'm guessing you didn't.

The code posted was reviewed by me to verify that there was only the one word involved in this code sample, and again, it is still my opinion that it's very obvious.

Oops, now that I read what happened to the word "scri_pt" in my post, I actually feel a little embarrassed. Sorry for not looking close enough. Is it only this word that gets changed or do I have to look out for other words being changed. Can I see a full list of "crippled" words somewhere in this forum?

And thanks Wazzoo for point out the obvious. :blush:

Oops, now that I read what happened to the word "scri_pt" in my post, I actually feel a little embarrassed. Sorry for not looking close enough. Is it only this word that gets changed or do I have to look out for other words being changed. Can I see a full list of "crippled" words somewhere in this forum?

And thanks Wazzoo for point out the obvious. :blush:

I'd really rather not disclose the 'list' .... as I stated, I did review the code, looking for a number of things. Had other words been effected, I would have come up with some kind of work-around .... the issue is that this word is the only obvious one that is still spelled somewhat correctly, broken enough though that it won't parse ..... it gets used to often around these parts to have handled it like I did the others .... the others actually get changed to another word .. which actually will also be obvious if / when that happens .... well, some to all, others probably only to the programmer and myself at first glance .... it's not that often that code gets published here, and this Forum app is very high on the hacking target list.

But, that it came up as a problem, I will add a note to the Forum FAQ about the situation .....

I was able to get this scri_pt working with my spam Sieve "spam" folder. I changed the "junk mailbox" reference to "mailbox ("spam")", and it worked. Still is a bit slow, but at least it works. Thanks for the scri_pt.

OK, fine .... wasted effort on my part trying to troubleshoot and write-up all the steps involved ...

Will state that there is some apparent 'version dependency' involved ...

Attempting to run this under OS-X 10.2.x has a major complaint with the line;

set background color of topMsg to gray

error: "A class name can't go after that identifier"

Commenting out that line allowed it to 'compile' .... at least the "Check Syntax" button doesn't error our and the file gets formatted ...

Trying the "Run" button gets me the error message;

Safari got an error: NSArgumentScriptError .....

with the following line highlited;

But that may also tie into that I wasn't going to let it actually 'run' as I am very uncomfortable with the 'automatic' mode involved .... (probably not an issue, as the 'junk folder' on the iBook is empty, but .....per the 'assumptions', I am/was not 'logged in to SpamCop.net)

Two others have got it running, si I'll get back to other things myself ....

Given that SpamCopSend doesn't work in Tiger and SpamRoboCop appears defunct, what is the preferred way to automate reporting to SpamCop from Apple Mail 2 in 10.4?

Not endorsed, yet ... trying to figure out how you missed this Topic ... it was still on the first page of displayed Topics, Subject line is reasonably clear .... PM sent to advise of the Merge of this post into an existing Topic/Discussion.

I have come up with an AppleScript that integrates with Safari and Mac OS 10.4 to perform rudimentary reporting of all email messages in your junk mail box in Mail.app
Thanks! Works perfectly.

Is there an easy way to have each message populate successive SpamCop forms in Safari tabs?

Hi All,

I saw these scripts after I had written my own. I have improved on my original scri_pt and the result is now available here:

ht tp://homepage.mac. com/kib/spamcoptool/SpamCopTool.zip

Mac OS X 10.4 required, using Mail.app and Safari.

Please read the Read Me. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Moderator Edit: URL broken by editing

I saw these scripts after I had written my own. I have improved on my original scri_pt and the result is now available here:

ht tp://homepage.mac. com/kib/spamcoptool/SpamCopTool.zip

Mac OS X 10.4 required, using Mail.app and Safari.

Please read the Read Me. Let me know what you think.

A ".dmg" file wrapped up inside a .ZIP archive .... I'm not really in the mood to try to resurrect an iBook one more time just to get to where I might possibly get to the point to even see a "Read Me" file .....

Therefore, as the actual file contents are an unknown, URL broken just to make sure that anyone thinking of snagging it is going to have to make a real concious decision.

If it's really great and wonderful, thanks for the work, thanks for the sharing. However, given the lack of details provided here (or there) .....

Thanks kiberkli. I notice you prudently add a note "If there is a problem with the use of the term 'SpamCop.net' or 'SpamCop' please let me know." I can't speak for SpamCop but AFAIK, not only would there be no problem, spreading the brandname is encouraged. You can even add a logo and link if you want: May I create a link to SpamCop from my site?

Thanks for the additional information.

If you're afraid to download or run the application I'll post the source a bit later today.

I did download the file, aplan was to read the included 'Read Me' file. As indicated, popping open the .ZIP revealed only the .dmg files .. there was no 'Read Me' file available .... and no way to break out the code involved on this Windows machine ... thus my actions...

Thanks for following up.

Archived