Slow Today?!

spamh8tr

I submit spam via a MailWasher, a spam detecting program which uses SpamCop

filters (and others) and has the option to send detected spam to SpamCop. I have a paid SpamcCop reporting account and have set up my Mailhosts. I the past, I recieved an auto-response to my submission withing a few minutes, but recently it is taking several hours (up to 12 hours) to get these responses in order to "submit." Why is there such a long delay? How do I turn on the "quick resonse" feature? - there isn't any mention of it on the SpanCop website.

Are the servers slow today in processing spam?

I haven't seen an issue with the "reporting" side of the house.

Also, why are all these eMail questions showing up in this forum?

All what e-mail questions? And if there were other e-mail questions and your query is about e-mail, then why didn't you add to one of those existing Topics vice starting yet another one? I don't see where you even specified that your query had anything to do with e-mail to begin with, other than this reference to "all these e-mail questions" ...????

Auto replies to email submissions are sometimes slowed down by maintenance on the spamcop end, sometimes because of the time of day, and sometimes for unknown reasons. Sometimes you can check the web page and see if you have Unreported spam to report; then you don't have to wait for the auto reply.

There is no 'quick' response. There is 'quick' reporting. 'Quick' reporting gives a report of the abuse desks for where the spam originated after spamcop has sent the report. It does not report spamvertized websites.

Miss Betsy

It appears that other people are experiencing slowness today so maybe it is maintenance - being a holiday here in the USA.

Sometimes you can check the web page and see if you have Unreported spam to report; then you don't have to wait for the auto reply.

That has never happened. Delays are now up to 9 hours.

Copy and paste works (with a cancellation when the notification finally arrives), but that doulbes the 'fuel' consumption and the load on the server.

There has been no "official" statement made anywhere, though noting that this has been a 3-day week-end in the U.S., Memorial Day to observe and pay tribute to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice ....

And on the other hand, considering the thousands of users of the SpamCop tool world-wide, the amount of traffic complaining about this delay is amazingly light, less than a dozen folks between these Forums and the newsgroups ... as compared to the historical hundreds of posts within an hour in the circumstances of a database or server crash ...

Spammers always exploit holidays, regardless of others' concern for "ultimate sacrifice" or anything else. They even exploited 9/11. Spammers like imposing sacrifices and cynically exploit any weakness or diversions of attention they can find.

Meanwhile, my notifications for received forwards are 8 hours behind, with -- despite the holiday -- no dramatic change in trends in the spamcop general statistics for overall spam and reporting loading. Delays of notifications by several hours are a recurring problem that is now so familiar that I don't normally report it, and perhaps others have given up, too, but it normally doesn't become this far behind.

I never expect a rapid response when submitting via Email attachment. If I want to deal with the spew immediately then I cut and paste into the submission form. If I just want to get the stuff on its way so I can get on with productive work then I pop it all in an Email attachment and get on with better things. Then the delay in getting the Email confirmation is a benefit :rolleyes:

Andrew

I have a paid spam reporting account, and heve set up my mailhosts. I submit spam by email (via MailWasher) and receive automated email responses from which I "report" the spam. In the past, these auto-resonses were received within a few minutes. However, it is now taking 8 to 15 hours before I receive them. Is there a problem with your servers? This long delay between "submiting" and "reporting" is extremely tedious and impractical. Is there a quicker way?

There are others stating the same delays. I currently have 3 submissions (5 seperate spam) waiting for replies starting from 9 AM this morning. Things have been taking a while all weekend according to other reports here in these forums. I was away most of the weekend, so I did not experience any problems.

Looking at the statistics here, it seems something was happening this weekend and it is back to full speed and hopefully processing through the backlog.

There are others stating the same delays.  I currently have 3 submissions (5 seperate spam) waiting for replies starting from 9 AM this morning.

Currently looking at least a 3hr backlog since this morning. (Haven't seen anything process since a little before 8am PST)

You are luckier than I then, my first submission this morning was at 08:53:08 EST (~6 AM PST) and it has still not reached the reporting page.

P.S. The spamcop gods must have read my message because my first submissions for the day arrived right after my reply here:

Submit Reply Elapsed

08:53 14:04 05:11

09:01 14:24 05:23

My backlog has cleared and all submitted messages have been reported. Email replies back to about 10 minutes and web page reporting is working about normal.

For the people it is slow, have you emptied your cache. That is a known problem that pops up from time to time.

Just curious as to why its taking so long to send and recieve reports. It takes up to five minutes to open when I try to send the reports, and its getting worse. I just deleted 25 spams instead of reporting them because I don't have two hours to wait for the reports to open. And when they do finally open...when you hit the send reports button it takes up to three minutes to open. I have ADSL and I just can't figure this out. I really don't have time to wait for 25 reports at this speed. Is it me or what???

Thanks,

Sundaypuncher82

There have been delay issues all day...From taking 5 hours for email submissions to be reportable to the web site being slow. No official report about what is going on, but it is now working fine for me, including web page speed about 15 mintes ago when I last reported.

I have a paid spam reporting account, and heve set up my mailhosts.  I submit spam by email (via MailWasher) and receive automated email responses from which I "report" the spam.  In the past, these auto-resonses were received within a few minutes.  However, it is now taking 8 to 15 hours before I receive them.  Is there a problem with your servers?  This long delay between "submiting" and "reporting" is extremely tedious and impractical.  Is there a quicker way?

...The good news is that you can use the web form at http://www.spamcop.net/?code=<your 16-char rptg id>, which generally has a far better turnaround. The bad news is (as far as I know) you can only submit one spam at a time using the web form.

Archived