forwarding from a gmail spam folder

Morg2

After I asked a couple other questions here, in which a few members urged me to open a gmail account to reduce spam, I've just given in and done so as an experiment. Of course I still get spam but now it is relegated to a spam folder, which is pretty nice. BUT!!! It seems that by doing this I have eliminated my ability to forward the spam to Spamcop? With my other email ISP, it was fairly easy: I signed in to my webmail, selected the spam, and clicked "forward" to my Spamcop reporting address. With gmail, I sign in to webmail, select the spam, but there doesn't seem to be a "forward" button?

I see menus for selecting the emails, for deleting or for taking it out of spam, for moving to other folders, for labelling, for marking as read etc; but no forward? Is anyone an "old pro" at gmail and can tell me if there's a way to report the spam from there?

I can't help with webmail, but find I can forward contents of my spam folder as attachment quite easily when I access my gmail account using an email client such as Thunderbird.

In FF, browser to gmail account , log in, spam is in spam folder

click on an individual spam msg.

on the right is date, left arrow(reply), down arrow.

click on the down arrow and click on Show Original.

right click anywhere on that html stuff and choose save page as, and save it somewhere - i save it as name "spam".

Edit it and search the body for your email addy and change or remove it. <--- this step is apparently unique to me!

click on the same spam message in spam folder, click down arrow, and choose Forward. say okay to the w/o images thing.

Fill in your special spamcop email addy in the TO field.

Click the paperclip to attach your spam that you have perhaps edited.

Click the blue send button near the paperclip.

Off it goes - a minute later you get a note back from SpamCop.

click on the first link and that will pass you to the browser.

check and make damn well sure your email addy is not present (if it is, re-edit the spam).

click submit near the bottom, even if they're all devnull.

DONE.

Thanks kris for that helpful detailed answer. But other than your desire to redact your own email addy, is it necessary to go through the "save" step? I really really really, REALLY don't want to be opening a 'vitara' ad in webmail only to save the disease on my computer. Is that the only way to do this?

Thanks kris for that helpful detailed answer. But other than your desire to redact your own email addy, is it necessary to go through the "save" step? I really really really, REALLY don't want to be opening a 'vitara' ad in webmail only to save the disease on my computer. Is that the only way to do this?

I open it as text and save it as text. In windows - literally "send to notepad". In Linux, gedit. I doubt I'm exposing myself to anything...

OK, thanks again kris! Very very helpful! I was able to submit some spam using that method.

Regarding the general advice to use gmail: I am unhappy to learn that there is no way to select several spams at once and just click 'forward'. SInce I'm getting about 75 spams per day, the above method will likely be impossible for me to keep up.

Hence I am apparantly forced to choose between:

my own convenience (using gmail and having a spam filter which I will simply empty)

vs, actively fighting the spam and moving these scum towards a blocklist (using my original email, where I can report say 20 at a time in webmail without wasting my time opening each one).

Tough call.

But thanks for all the advice, either way. I love Spamcop!

My suggestion would be to take as many as you can in a day and edit them, and just pass through the rest. I hear you with 75/day, but I think if you do that you will find that it rapidly gets smaller. I did not expect the IPs to be as willing as they are to ban folks.

Yeah, LOVE spamcop!!!

New problem, I tried to do the process with some just now and got a "no header" error from Spamcop. The "show original" on gmail didn't give the entire message, it gave about a page and ended with "part 002", but there was no part 2. I'm thinking gmail just isn't any good for reporting spam.

Can anyone suggest other webmail sites that work better but still offer spam folders?

Another problem with reporting this way is that, because I use POP, everything I send from gmail webmail gets forwarded back to my computer's inbox. So I get an incoming email on my desktop for each report I forward to Spamcop. Apparently there is no way to set gmail to NOT put your own sent items into your inbox (with POP). The volume involved is certainly going to make this untenable. I'm back to having to choose between convenience vs active fighting. Argh. I hate gmail and I've only used it one week!

Another problem with reporting this way is that, because I use POP, everything I send from gmail webmail gets forwarded back to my computer's inbox. So I get an incoming email on my desktop for each report I forward to Spamcop. Apparently there is no way to set gmail to NOT put your own sent items into your inbox (with POP). The volume involved is certainly going to make this untenable. I'm back to having to choose between convenience vs active fighting. Argh. I hate gmail and I've only used it one week!

i use pop and don't get this.I logon to gmail in FF and work on stuff from the spam folder. I forward the spam from the spam folder. It does not copy my inbox

When I reply to stuff on gmail on my phone, it sends a copy of the reply to my inbox. but I only do spam stuff on my FF browser on my computer.

New problem, I tried to do the process with some just now and got a "no header" error from Spamcop. The "show original" on gmail didn't give the entire message, it gave about a page and ended with "part 002", but there was no part 2. I'm thinking gmail just isn't any good for reporting spam.

Can anyone suggest other webmail sites that work better but still offer spam folders?

Do take another look at the instructions in post #3 - they will give you header and body on show original. Works for me. Give it a shot!!! :D:

Do take another look at the instructions in post #3 - they will give you header and body on show original. Works for me. Give it a shot!!! :D:

Usually yes but it seems that if the spam is really long (lots of redirects and gibberish) then "show original" only goes so far, then stops. I can't get the rest of it to show, therefore it won't be complete enough to forward. But thanks for all your helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Nobody jumped in with any alternative email providers I might try? :(

• 10 months later...

Thanks, kris, you resolve my issue. Thank you so much for this. Google itself provide many privacy and security options to secure user account. One of the features is to delete Gmail account permanently but it can be done very carefully as one can lose their data after doing this. If you need help to delete the G-mail account visit here delete the g-mail account

Archived