Reporting via email to "submit...."

C2H5OH

As the title; I used to submit spams as attachments from my webmail application direct to my personal "submit...[at]spam.spamcop....." address.

In the past week or so that has mostly stopped working.

Trying to submit a dozen or so spams in one go never works, though occasionally I can get them through if I send one at a time.

My webmail client reports,

"There was an error sending your message:

Message could not be delivered - the address was not found, is unknown, or is not receiving messages,"

Sending seems to fail during the helo handshake, so I never get a DSN showing what went wrong.

Any one else seeing this? Any ideas?

C2H5OH,

Yes, there are currently issues with spamcop reporting and the forum.

My normal nom de plume is LKing. However, "LKing" can not access the forum, even to read entries to say noting of other moderator functions like deleting the spam that was added Friday.

The-powers-that-be are aware, tickets have been opened, and we hope fixes are in the works. This all started with an unannounced security update last week relating, I'm guessing, to several current threads here.

Standby.

I'd noticed issues with the forum too, suggesting something was not quite right behind the scenes. I wish the powers that be well tracking down what went wrong: hopefully it will be easily addressed.

Was that as an email submission? I was able to report three spams this morning via the webmail interface, but not when forwarded to submit.....

- And regarding the spam received from a forum member;

"She" joined the forum today, and at 03:30 spammer's local time was on line and viewing the members list.

Perhaps we'd all better prepare for personal conversations from her, poor girl is looking for friendship....

Sorry, that was 03:03 spamcop's local time

<snip>

- And regarding the spam received from a forum member;

"She" joined the forum today, and at 03:30 spammer's local time was on line and viewing the members list.

Perhaps we'd all better prepare for personal conversations from her, poor girl is looking for friendship....

Sorry, that was 03:03 spamcop's local time

There's always the "report" link within the forum..... :D

Was that as an email submission? I was able to report three spams this morning via the webmail interface, but not when forwarded to submit.....

My email submission seems to have also gone and hid somewhere. I've forgotten how to get the source, but I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, so I just hope the recent technical difficulties don't include the forum's search function. :)

Update: Processing my email submission simply took about 40 minutes instead of the usual < 5. I guess I should have given it more time before thinking it had gone in a black hole somewhere.

I forwarded via gmail in browser, got response from spamcop, clicked on the link which opened in browser, and submitted it. Only get spam very rarely now so can't test this am

My email submission seems to have also gone and hid somewhere. I've forgotten how to get the source, but I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, so I just hope the recent technical difficulties don't include the forum's search function. :)

Update: Processing my email submission simply took about 40 minutes instead of the usual < 5. I guess I should have given it more time before thinking it had gone in a black hole somewhere.

see post #3 of http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/topic/16645-forwarding-from-a-gmail-spam-folder/#entry95133

mine take less than a minute.

Still some strangeness.

I agree that Spamcop is taking rather longer than usual to process reports, but in addition;

I just successfully reported one of today's spams; here's the Tracking ref

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6229203672z8048a9e57b2a9f372c70523ea31d2437z

Nothing unusual about that maybe, but this particular spam email could NOT be reported by forwarding to the "submit...." address.

Every attempt to report a bunch of spams failed if this one was amongst them.

I reported all the others in groups without problems until just this one was left.

No matter how many times I tried to submit this single email I always saw;

Message could not be delivered - the address was not found, is unknown, or is not receiving messages,"

Allowed it in to Outlook and used 2-part pasting web form and it reported - with the Tracking URL above as proof!

If a deputy wants to see the original email I can (try to) forward it...

Thanks. On gmail, I just copy/paste the source as-is, but I hadn't seen that thread and it was good to read.

The normal processing time for email submissions might be about a minute. I haven't clocked it. I just know I find another task to do for a moment and it improves the chances that the "report now" link will be there when I check. I assume the good people at SpamCop wouldn't want me to refresh the screen over and over like the over-caffeinated psycho I may or may not be. :D

I'm usually done reporting by the time the autoreply comes. I suppose that could be because it's sent to a spamcop.net address then forwarded to my real address, but I don't know. The reporting system usually works well enough that I don't give it much thought until something unusual happens.

Still some strangeness.

I agree that Spamcop is taking rather longer than usual to process reports, but in addition;

I just successfully reported one of today's spams; here's the Tracking ref

https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6229203672z8048a9e57b2a9f372c70523ea31d2437z

Nothing unusual about that maybe, but this particular spam email could NOT be reported by forwarding to the "submit...." address.

Every attempt to report a bunch of spams failed if this one was amongst them.

I reported all the others in groups without problems until just this one was left.

Allowed it in to Outlook and used 2-part pasting web form and it reported - with the Tracking URL above as proof!

never had that prob...

Although I don't remember the exact error message I got, that reminds me of one I got from my server's webmail (SquirrelMail) when it didn't like something a few months ago. I saw something earlier in this thread about webmail, but if you mentioned which one you're using, I missed it. Which webmail are you using?

I looked at the headers from your tracking URL, and the only thing that jumped out at me was the note added by SpamCop indicating it had converted it to plain text. Knowing they add that will make me a lot more comfortable just copying the body and not worrying about chasing down the source code, since I keep running into mail clients where it's easy to get the headers but the full source seems to be hiding somewhere.

I have to wonder if there's something in the body that was making the webmail choke when you tried to forward the message. If you don't get an answer from the deputies, I'd be curious to see the source code to the message body if possible. I hesitate to post an email address publicly, but we can always use PM for that if email is needed. Back in the newsgroup days, there was a spamcop.spam where samples could be posted, but I don't know if this web forum has anything like that.

Not directly related, but I had a weird one today which wasn't spamcop's fault: Yahoo decided that spam reports from an email account that I don't use that often were suspicious, and consequently bouncing them. I haven't had that happen with other accounts hosted by Yahoo. Thankfully I have other accounts I can use to submit by email.

Archived