Reporting via email to "submit...."

C2H5OH

For the past few days I've been unable to report ANY spam via the forwarding to submit... route.

Always see the same error message;

"There was an error sending your message:

Message could not be delivered - the address was not found, is unknown, or is not receiving messages,"

I ran a Wireshark trace on the submission attempt.

Nothing unusual seen, except a couple of keep alive packets just before my webmail client gave up (I'm using Horde).

Perhaps SpamCop's email submission route has gone very slow and my webmail client is simply timing out?

I did try looking for some user controls in Horde to extend the wait period, but have so far failed to find any.

Anyway, I'm still able to submit the spams via the cut and paste SpamCop webform, just that takes a lot longer :-(

I've had the occasional non-delivery report which doesn't make sense when attempting to report spam. My best guess is that my email provider's outgoing filter sees the spam being reported, flags the message as spam, and for reasons best known to itself, gives a misleading error message as part of the non-delivery report.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on this.

I'm still seeing the occasional spam that cannot be submitted as an email attachment. I see the same "unable to deliver" message as before. If I'm submitting a bunch of spams, all attached to the same reporting email, the entire submission will fail. It seems a single rogue attachment prevents delivery of all other attachments. Having identified the rogue, I can still report it if I cut & paste into the webmail submission form. Once removed from the attachments list I can also forward all the other spams with one email. From now on I'll keep these rogue spams so that I might be able to compare them and spot what they have in common.

Meanwhile, anyone have a clue why a single attachment amongst many might cause an entire submission email to fail?

That sounds familiar.  As you say, when doing a submit or quick of 10-20 spam it would choke and I had to parse out which one was causing the problem. However, in my case it was Thunderbird what was not sending, as apposed to SC not accepting the submission.  I never was quite sure what about the spam was causing the problem.  Closest I came was it often seemed to be a large spam from India with lots of large embedded graphics. so I guessed with all the attachments we were exceeding a size limit either for TB or my mail server.

• 9 months later...

Following up this longstanding irritation;

I'm receiving a minor but steady stream of spam from one source whose emails cannot be reported to SC as email attachments. All other spam reports normally. These troublesome spams can be reported using the web interface by pasting the entire message without modification into the "all-in-one submission form".  I don't have to fix missing blank lines between header and body for instance.

Here's a link to the successfully reported spam; https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6357183132z1d69cb2dfc8b9610109ea7846ab30adez

Can anyone see something in the original body that would make my email client (HORDE) fail to forward, with the familiar error message:-

"There was an error sending your message.
Message could not be delivered - the address was not found, is unknown, or is not receiving messages."

Yes, HORDE works mainly for me too, but for the past few months whenever I try to batch-submit a bunch of spam there's bound to be one that borks the whole lot. By trial and error I remove individual spams from the batch until what's left goes through.

I've begun to recognise the format of the recently appeared pest, so always keep those out of a batch, but still others can cause the same problem.

I'll try to keep a list of links for the emails that have to be manually reported. When I have half a dozen or so it might become clear what's the common element. If I still can't spot it I might come back here with that list of links to see if anyone on this list is a better detective!

Archived